Antenna Topper Wobbles :(

BooBooBee

Perhaps the Signal the Frog antenna topper was designed for desk presentation rather than car installation. My husband (who mocks my every geocaching thought) actually purchased several items from the GC store for stocking stuffers. (Now he's an enabler...mock me no more!) :rolleyes:

ANYHOW, I was happy to see Signal there in the stocking and he made it to the antenna in less time than it takes to find a park-and-grab. Alas, he wobbles like CRAZY. He's not an antenna ball (those never wobble) but rather a hollow plastic head with a hole in the bottom for the stick. <_<

Perhaps next time make this a solid mass with a hole in the middle - thereby eliminating speed wobbles.

Now..for a fix...considering some sort of foam insertion....hmmmm

IDEAS?

Might explode the ball though, with all that pressure. Poor Siggy! :rolleyes:

Something along those lines might do the trick though...

My sinuses feel like that sometimes. <_< I think if you're careful and use it sparingly, it would probably work, though if you put it on the antenna while the foam is wet, it will NEVER come off, even after poor froggy has seen its better days! It will be interesting to see how it weathers.

I've had an old can of clear RTV Silicon sitting in the work room for years. I ended up using it for a few projects recently and can tell you that it works great! Even if you pit it on when it's a little wet it can still be pulled off. I used it to secure a loose marker light on the jeep, make a cheap hide-a-key, and to fix a leak on the horse trailer window. An antenna ball should be no problem

Joe Smith

I've had an old can of clear RTV Silicon sitting in the work room for years. I ended up using it for a few projects recently and can tell you that it works great! Even if you pit it on when it's a little wet it can still be pulled off. I used it to secure a loose marker light on the jeep, make a cheap hide-a-key, and to fix a leak on the horse trailer window. An antenna ball should be no problem

Joe Smith

Silicone is a bit heavy...Depending on how much you use, I san see potental problems with a heavy antenna ball at freeway speeds.

Ed

Great Stuff is an insulating foam utilized in many applications. I think it would be perfect to keep your :rolleyes: from wobbling. You can get it at any Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, etc. It comes in an aerosol can and shouldn't produce enough pressure to "explode" your frog's head. It's lightweight when it dries and relatively permanent. Also, once you're done with the frog, it has 1001 other uses.

I had the same problem, and plan to eventually fill his empty little head with expanding foam, and letting the excess run out the hole. When it dries, I'll push something narrow into the foam to create a thin guide channel then go force the antenna into the channel and see how that works.

It also wobbles around more on some antennas than others. On my Jeep, it's not bad on the stock radio antenna (he just rotates around mostly) but on my ham antenna he was bouncing all around and making enough noise to be a real nuisance.