Garmin Etrex Connected To A Mac?

paul&di

I think I want to upgrade to the eTrex Legend (from a very old Magellan model). Upon examining it in the store, the only drawback appears to be the antiquated serial cable that comes with it. We have a Mac running OSX Panther (10.3), and I'm wondering if a serial-USB adaptor will make this a workable combo for downloading maps. I can't believe Garmin hasn't done something about this already. Any Mac/Garmin users out there?

Thanks!

Are mac usb slots different than those on PC?

If not an adaptor should work fine (assuming the drivers etc all play nice with each other). Quite a few people use adaptors because the lack or low number of serial ports on their computers.

It would be nice if garmin or (maggellan for that matter) had come out with cables that go straight to the older units. However since garmins newer have units have usb I doubt they're go back and upgrade the cables for ones.

I think I want to upgrade to the eTrex Legend (from a very old Magellan model). Upon examining it in the store, the only drawback appears to be the antiquated serial cable that comes with it. We have a Mac running OSX Panther (10.3), and I'm wondering if a serial-USB adaptor will make this a workable combo for downloading maps. I can't believe Garmin hasn't done something about this already. Any Mac/Garmin users out there?

Thanks!

Yes we're here and yes you can. You won't be able to use that nice USB cable though. Oddly enough, it requires a Serial cable into an adapter (I use Keyspan). If you own a Mac and you're Geocaching, you'll need to accept that fact now. Oh, and forget about uploading maps through your Mac. Here's a thread you need to read. The answers are out there...

I love my Mac. :lol: I love my Garmin. :lol: I hate the fact that my Mac won't work with my Garmin. :unsure:

Petition for Garmin/Mac

Over 10,000 people have now signed a petition asking for Garmin to release software for the Mac. 10,000 x $100 = $1,000,000 in sales, but that ain't got them interested yet.

Now I admit, my knowledge of programming is rudimentary, but it would seem to me that creating a Mac version of this software should not be that difficult.

Using a usb-serial adapter like those available from Keyspan, IOGear and a number of other manefacturers (I use an IOGear one) you will be able to upload/download waypoints and tracks to/from an eTrex Legend (though not the newer LegendC). If you want to upload maps to the Legend you will need to use either a PC or VirtualPC on your Mac. I find the basemap on my Legend fits my needs and so I have never bothered buying extra maps for it.

Jeremy

Contacted Garmin (again) about adding Mac support. Here's the response:

Anything is possible. At this time of course we do not offer support for Macintosh users. I think

that as the Macintosh market gets larger it certianly may be a possiblity in the future, but to give you a specific time frame that isn't possible. I will ceratinly pass on your thoughts.