Download Cable Question

fly46

Since I *should* have a download cable sitting at home when I get back (mom didn't order it in time for it to be delivered by christmas) to TN, I figured I should ask first so I'll know what I'm doing (and I want to get started with it!)...

Anyway, I just have to plug it in and go, right? Check the boxes, click the button?

I won't need special software to use it will I?

It depends on what you mean by 'special software'. You will have to have some sort of software to send the waypoints to your GPS, but no special drivers are needed. You can use GSAK, or EasyGPS, or USAPhotomaps, or whatever software your GPS uses - Mapsource, Mapsend, etc., depending on the brand of your GPS. I like GSAK, since it does pretty much everything you need related to caching.

I asked this question when I got the cable for my etrex, too, and I think I know where you're going. You'll need GSAK or EasyGPS or something like that to store the waypoints and download them into the GPS. You'll need Mapsource if you want to put more detailed maps on the GPS.

BUT, you don't need any special drivers for the cable or GPS.

Ditto, as NightPilot and Markwell stated.

You probably have a program for your waypoints (EasyGPS or GSAK) already.

You should be able to plug your cable into the computer and the gps, configure it for whichever gps you use. It’s that easy!

If you want mapping software, you’ll need a program compatible with your gpsr and then need to export your data, similar to uploading waypoints.

If you need more help with Garmin, just ask.. I’m not into Magellan.

Good Luck! SF1

I have a yellow, so I can't use the maps (right?), so that won't really matter.

Just out of curiosity, if you get the cable from garmin does it come with instructions?

The one I got was from GPSgeek. com and they don't even label the packages with what the product is.

Umm... No? :) Why would I have that? What uses do they have other than downloading?

So which one is better?

The cable doesn't really need instructions - you plug one end into your PC, and the other end to your GPS. Which goes where should be obvious.

What you might need instructions for is the software. The cable won't do anything by itself - computers have to have software to tell them how to do anything, and the waypoint won't magically move themselves to the GPS just because you plugged in a cable. Read the FAQs, and then ask specific questions if you still have any.

GSAK is a pretty awesome program for opening GPX programs that are downloaded through pocket queries. You can further filter and sort the data or mark a subset of data for loading into your GPS. EasyGPS will send the data to your GPS, but won't do much more. I'd suggest playing around with GSAK for a while. Edited by Markwell
The cable doesn't really need instructions - you plug one end into your PC, and the other end to your GPS. Which goes where should be obvious.

Jee... Thanks for making me look stupid.

I think that if I'm smart enough to use a GPS I could figure that out... I'm talking about the part about it requiring special software to use it.

Thanks for the explanation, Markwell... I'll have to look at both of them.. Seeing as though I'm not a premium member I don't need it for PQs.

Here's something a lot of newbs don't think about as it isn't very obvious.

Anything actively pinging on the serial port is automatically identified as a mouse during boot up. You will want to be sure you attached the GPS to the cable under one of two conditions:

1. You can attach an active GPS to the cable when you are already booted up.

2. If the GPS is attached before bootup, ensure it is turned off... turning it on only after bootup is complete.

be careful when connecting the cable to the gps. there is an index mark on the cable and the back of the gps . assuming your gps has a rectanglular connection there is a little slot that has to be lined up with a tab at the connector on the back of the gps.be sure line them up . dont force it! if you have to force it you probably have the cable backwards. hope this helps. :D

I have a yellow, so I can't use the maps (right?), so that won't really matter. 

Just out of curiosity, if you get the cable from garmin does it come with instructions?

The one I got was from GPSgeek. com and they don't even label the packages with what the product is.

Umm... No? :D Why would I have that? What uses do they have other than downloading?

So which one is better?

Hey Fly,

Try this Garmin Link http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html#basic Garmin: Outdoor to ID your GPS model.

Yes, they both can be used for uploading way points to the GPS, and GSAK for the PDA and GPSr.

The EasyGPS, http://www.easygps.com/download.asp EasyGPS - Download free GPS software is really just for the loc files.

The ExpertGPS, http://www.expertgps.com/default.asp ExpertGPS - GPS Mapping Software for Windows is a bit better, and similar.

GSAK, http://www.gsak.net/ GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) , is by far the BEST. It also helps eliminate extra programs (converters) to upload to the PDA, GPSr and your mapping program. It’s really a one stop program to do many things. Ex.If you get a premium membership, you can drop the GPX files right into the program (which creates your own personal database), and view all cache pages thru this program, rather that going on line. Visit the links above to learn more.

Also, by using the cable to upload to your gpsr, it will eliminate the human error, of punching in the coords by hands.

Hope this helps explain some things. :D SF1

Edited by strikeforce1

Anything actively pinging on the serial port is automatically identified as a mouse during boot up. You will want to be sure you attached the GPS to the cable under one of two conditions:

2. If the GPS is attached before bootup, ensure it is turned off... turning it on only after bootup is complete.

Fly,

As TL stated, about hooking up the gps before the computer is booted.

I had once hooked up and turned on the gps (set to NEMA), before the computer booted, and I had a weird thing happen. The mouse pointer kept moving around the screen about every two seconds, totally out of control.

Also, if you used the port to upload the PDA, make sure that you shut off the Hot Sync, it captures the port and doesn’t let it go without turning off the hot sync. You might have to re-configure that port, every time you change devices.

SF1

No wonder so many cachers still do printouts and things manually...

*has such a headache*

I found 251 caches without a cord... And I think I need one... lol.

It isn't as bad as the above may seem. Go to GC.com and get the free EasyGPS. After you connect the cable and install the program test it by reading the waypoint in your GPSr. (if that works easy if not try some of the above, or scratch your head and post a note ). Once you know it is work just download the loc files from the cache page that you want to go find load them in to easyGPS. You will have to change the name as you download because TPTB give then the same name. Once they are in easyGPS shot them to your GPSr and presto ready to go and no key in errors. The way point name in your GPSr should be (i.e. GCM70K) :D

Now moving to paperless is were have the upgraded membership is nice but that needs a PDA and I would recommend GSAK. I switch a few months ago and wouldn’t go back. :D

Thanks TL, I didn't know this. That explains why sometimes I have to fiddle with mine to get it to work, while sometimes its easy.