Cache Topic Suitability

Chipper3

Before investing the time and energy in a cache them I have in mind, I am writing to make sure that the topic will receive approval and not violate some "rule."

I am a "boomer" that contracted Polio in 1949. I came through in very good condition thanks to the efforts of organizations and doctors funded by the March of Dimes. My father was very active in the original March of Dimes fund drives that were truly grass roots efforts, etc.

So here is the deal... My dad was part of a team that counted the contributions which were literally sacks full of pennies, nickels and dimes. My dad was also a coin collector and would cash out the haul of change for a check and then would go thru the coins for his collections. Sometime along the way back around 1950 he, started renting and loading up safety deposit boxes with these coins. He died last year and we found the mysterious safety deposit box keys which led us on a hunt to find the boxes and discover the contents. Some of the access cards had last been signed in 1951. OK, you can probably figure out where all of this is going. =) The cache will be called Pennies from Heaven.

I plan to put a significant quantity of coins from the penny collections in a "safety deposit box" (camo can) somewhere. That box will be hidden very well. Another box will be more accessible and will be pointed to by hints on the cache page. The hints will involve activities that will educate the seeker about Polio and the role of the March of Dimes.

The cacher is free to take as many of my father's pennies that they want from the final cache as long as they donate $1 for each penny to the March of Dimes. How to do that will be part of the cache.

I thought that their might be some type rules violation by direct references to a charity and the fund raising element. I want to clear this before doing the work.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and remarks on this cache idea. I don't want to find out on submittal that it violates a rule.

You're right - there is a rule that would prohibit this cache. The Listing Guidelines state "Solicitations are also off-limits... Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda. "

This has lead to at least one spirited discussion in the recent past at this thread (as you can see, I don't support solicitation caches).

Personally, I think it would be a great cache, and your idea would be approved, if you remove the part about "The cacher is free to take as many of my father's pennies that they want from the final cache as long as they donate $1 for each penny to the March of Dimes". But the safest course is to check with your local approver (or contact geocaching.com) before you seek approval for the cache.

We think your idea is fantastic. You obviously are very passionate about this cause and have put a lot of thought into the cache placement and write-up. From what we have seen, there are large discrepancies between what different approvers will allow. Our area approver tries to adhere to geocaching.com's rules so your cache would probably not be approved here, but we've seen examples of caches from other areas that get away with it. We don't want to spoil the caches of those people, so we won't list them here, but if you e-mail us, we will send you a couple of examples. We can see the good points of both sides of the issue, but respect the rules of geocaching.com. They are a great organization. We just wish that the rules were uniformly enforced across the board.

So, to wrap up, why not contact your local approver and see what he or she thinks.

Good luck,

Tom & Anna Mary

Well that is pretty sound advice. I am sure you can fill in the blanks about the fun value of this cache and obvious design elements so I will probably pursue with whatever constraints I am given by an admin.

In your opinion, If I drop the donation comments on the cache site but keep the obvious education elements inplace will all be OK?

I can make some references about taking a coin and keep it as a reminder for the finder to help other people as others helped me. I will also reference the fact that the cache contains a full range of collectable types and dates so the seeker should be able to find a date or type that is speciial for them.

In your opinion, If I drop the donation comments on the cache site but keep the obvious education elements inplace will all be OK?

I can make some references about taking a coin and keep it as a reminder for the finder to help other people as others helped me. I will also reference the fact that the cache contains a full range of collectable types and dates so the seeker should be able to find a date or type that is speciial for them.

We agree with BadAndy. This rendition sounds very good. Caching, education, and encouraging kindness... what could be better? There should be no problem getting the cache approved this way!

Wish it was in Northeast Ohio so we could drive right over and do it!

My thought is that seeking a donation is definitely out. But using the cache to educate about polio seems fine, and as long as it didn't seem like an advertisement for March of Dimes, then including facts about that organization would possibly be OK.

Probably the best thing to do is write to the local reviewer and ask their opinion on it. That way you will have their thoughts and can discuss the details with them before you put a ton of work into it. That person is in the best position to let you know before hand what is OK and what is not.

You can also write to contact at Groundspeak dot com, and ask permission for the donation aspect. I think they turn down many/most of those requests, but it can't hurt to ask. The guidelines state to ask before submitting a cache that solicits.

Good luck to you! :unsure:

I agree with SerenityNow, run it by the local approver. As long as donations are not required, I don't see a problem with it, particularly if the educational elements are about the disease and not the charity. I'd do it if it were near me.

Of course, I don't have a problem with religious or political caches either. Even those that aren't my persuasion. I don't HAVE to convert just because I hunted a cache!

Do I? :unsure:

As someone who could appreciate a nice coin, I could give you two pieces of advice:

-Hide the new cache in my area, or

-Buy the Red Book from R.S. Yeoman and learn a bit about the coins (any book store)

Investing time and energy on learning about the coins could be worth more than investing time and energy on the cache. Seeing how your dad was a coin collector, he obviously cherry-picked the finest specimens for his collection. If you put that cache out, every numismatist in the county would beat a path straight to it, and it's doubtful they would settle for just one sample.

You would be much better off learning about what you have, it's entirely possible that you are sitting on a fortune and can easily retire comfortably on what you have. Take a look at these prices of Lincoln cents. I'm guessing you probably have a bunch of Indians, buffalos, mercurys, etc. Man, what I would give to be the first one to your cache. :unsure: Sheesh, too bad my collection consists of some crappy coins I dug out of the ground when I used to metal detect.

What if he was to give the instructions on how to donate to the MoD if one wanted to?  That would just be giving instructions but not requesting a donation.  Would that fly?

Read the forum thread I posted above to answer your question.

The fact of the matter, though, Kai Team, is that some caches are allowed to stand with outright solicitation on them. This subject always gets me mad because the approvers will totally skirt the issue that some of their own allow this type cache.

I went the route of Red Booking and eBaying. Yep, I sold coins but it was a real time consumer and did not really net fortunes. I posted on many sites to try and find a collector buyer for the lot and no luck. My expereince was that everyone will list the value based on the Red Book until it becomes time to pay for them. The whole money thing just seemed to get in the way of what I percieved was thier real value of creating good will and help. It ain't all about money; it is about people coneecting and helping people at the grass roots level.

I won't place the whole stash in the cache. I will place a very random and represenative sample of the coins so if they are raided, I want lose them all in one bad event. If that happens, I'll leave the chords to cache 1 but will change the info necessary to use with the contents of cache 1 to find new cache 2 holding the lode.

There are 20,000 coins in the mother lode of pennies. Pennies are the only denomination to be given away. Anyone want 19 rolls of "Steelies?" =) or Would 150 Indian Heads suit your fancy?

You will have to find the cache.

dan :rolleyes:

What if he was to give the instructions on how to donate to the MoD if one wanted to?  That would just be giving instructions but not requesting a donation.  Would that fly?

Read the forum thread I posted above to answer your question.

The fact of the matter, though, Kai Team, is that some caches are allowed to stand with outright solicitation on them. This subject always gets me mad because the approvers will totally skirt the issue that some of their own allow this type cache.

Yup. Life ain't fair.

I plan to put a significant quantity of coins from the penny collections in a "safety deposit box" (camo can) somewhere. That box will be hidden very well. Another box will be more accessible and will be pointed to by hints on the cache page. The hints will involve activities that will educate the seeker about Polio and the role of the March of Dimes.

So it will be multicache in which they find the 'easy' cache, and then from there the box full of coinage?

I realize you said cachers can take as many as they want, so it may not end up mattering after a while. However, I would only put in a couple hunderd coins at a time and refill as needed. That way if a non cacher finds it they only have so many pennies to toss around the woods.

My expereince was that everyone will list the value based on the Red Book until it becomes time to pay for them. The whole money thing just seemed to get in the way of what I percieved was thier real value of creating good will and help.

There are 20,000 coins in the mother lode of pennies. Pennies are the only denomination to be given away. Anyone want 19 rolls of "Steelies?" =) or Would 150 Indian Heads suit your fancy?

You will have to find the cache.

Red Book is basically retail value. Naturally nobody wants to pay retail, but it makes for a good comparison guide. I agree with the money thing getting in the way of the hobby, I really wish it were possible to amass a collection like yours by pulling coins from circulation the way your dad did. I still wish you were local so that I could enjoy the find, I normally don't trade but would on that one.

I know this doesn't really address your question, but I hope you'll do this cache even if you have to modify it. My dad had polio and also suffered from post-polio syndrome. If you place this, I'll definitely do it - not for the coins but for the concept. I think this is a great idea.