60cs Stopped Talking

briansnat

I'm trying to download some waypoints to my 60CS through EasyGPS and it tells me my USB driver isn't there. The actual message is "The USB driver for this GPS is not installed on this computer (error #6).

This just started happening. Previously I had no problem using my 60CS with the USB connection. I tried re-installing the USB driver just for ha-ha's and I'm still getting it. I tried using GSAK and it gives me an unspecified error when sending to my GPS.

I'm using V1.3.7 of EasyGPS and yes, 'Use USB' is checked in my GPS settings.

Windoze problems, try reloading your drivers from the drivers Disk that came with the 60CS, also there maybe drivers on the Garmin site.

You can get the USB drivers here:

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=591

The 60CS Page is here:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/

Usually a reboot without the GPS connected to the port fixes the problem.

Already tried both

After uninstalling, did you reboot without the GPS attached? Then plug in the unit and try a clean installation after the reboot. Maybe use another USB port too? Keep tinkering.

Tried another USB port and now its "detecting new hardware", but it can't find the doggone driver I just installed, and re-installed and re-installed :rolleyes: .

Hey

Same thing is happening to me. My 60C won't invoke a connection.

GPS goes to connected, but no joy.

GPS worked yesterday. Still works on desktop. Jump drive still works fine on offending laptop.

Reloaded drivers from Garmin.

GSAK won't connect either.

Brian... Have you got yours going yet. What's the secret??

Shoknaw

Problem solved..

I had loaded the Ver. 6 update several times thinking that when it said updating USB drivers that... well that it was. Not so.

Went to the control panel, system, hardware manager to see what the USB was indicating. Low and behold a Yellow question mark. (Hmmmmm should have done this before). Told it to update the (not working) driver and I think the key was pointing it to the C:\Garmin\USB directory where the drivers are.

Drivers updated and all is well.

Shoknaw

PS: I found this on the Garmin web site search. Typed in USB and it told me what to do...

Problem solved..

I had loaded the Ver. 6 update several times thinking that when it said updating USB drivers that... well that it was. Not so.

Went to the control panel, system, hardware manager to see what the USB was indicating. Low and behold a Yellow question mark. (Hmmmmm should have done this before). Told it to update the (not working) driver and I think the key was pointing it to the C:\Garmin\USB directory where the drivers are.

Drivers updated and all is well.

Shoknaw

PS: I found this on the Garmin web site search. Typed in USB and it told me what to do...

That did it. Thanks!

Well, durn.... I've played and played with trying to get USB to work with my 76CS and was sooo hoping this thread would solve everything. I still keep getting a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Computer being used is a fresh from the box, straight from Dell D800 laptop. Its USB ports work just fine evidenced by an Olympus digital camera which doesn't require any driver software. Just plug in and go, photos pop up in the camera wizard.

I've tried the Garmin website's knowledge base and finally here.

No real biggie...the serial cable will work just fine. Wish the mapping software was written for Macs. Windows has too much voodoo for USB.

I am soooo pissed off. Yesterday I got my 76CS - installed MapSource as instructed. Installed the drivers as instructed. Plugged in the unit and all was fine. Worked GREAT.

Today I plug it in and I get messages thtat my USB device is not Recognized. Tried uninstalling / reinstalling. Removed device from hardware manager. Tried to redetect it - nothing. Tried to manually install it - got as far as Garmin Device -- error 10 - Device can't start. WTF?

[Edit]

Groan. I tried the unit on another comuter and it works fine. For some reason all of my USB ports on my main box seem to be malfunctioning. I have gone so far as to remove them all from device manager and reboot to let windows find them and reinstall them. Windows claims they all are working fine but nothing I plug into them works. :P

Edited by thrak
Sometimes, with USB, you need to delete it and then re-add it back.

Tried that too. I'll check that web page when it becomes available.

Useless Serial Bus is endless pain. I usually run VMware on my laptop, and I can most of the time connect my Clie (PDA) and the VM grabs the USB connection. Sometimes not.

The Vista-C? No way to get it to connect to the VM. Well, Windows device manager says it is "working properly". But CitySelect claims there is no GPS connected. Better yet, even if VMware is just running and configured not to grab USB devices at all automatically, I can't connect the GPS to the host OS either. So in order to communicate with the GPS, I have to shutdown all VMware guests. :cry:

The best thing happened yesterday with my desktop system. After a reboot, a Belkin USB 2.0 hub connected to an Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card didn't work any more. Power cycling, driver reinstall, yadda, yadda, NADA. "The device cannot start". What did I do? Unplugged everything, knocked the hub 3 times on the table, reconnected everything ... works <_<

So if any USB crap doesn't work with your system, try another port, another system, another cable, shake the device, shake the computer, shake your fists in the air or your head. Never shake the beer and never take it personal.

Jan

Useless Serial Bus is endless pain. . . . Power cycling, driver reinstall, yadda, yadda, NADA. ". . .  knocked the hub 3 times on the table, reconnected everything ... works  :lol:

So if any USB crap doesn't work with your system, try another port, another system, another cable, shake the device, shake the computer, shake your fists in the air or your head. Never shake the beer and never take it personal.

Jan

:):huh::):P;):):)

Same thing again today. It seems to me that every time the computer is shut down or rebooted after I get it to work the dadgum thing tries to use the stupid Microsoft driver instead of the Garmin driver. Then if I try to manually tell it to use the Garmin USB driver I get a message that the driver doesn't pertain to my hardware! I'm gettting REALLY upset with this.