Legend Car Mount

roscoe615

The title pretty much explains this post. I just got a new Garmin Legend and was curious if anybody out there uses a car mount. I have seen what's on the garmin website but thought that there might be other options on the market.

What car mount do you use?

Thanks for the response ahead of time!

-Roscoe615

I bought a generic window shield suction mount to hold a Garmin Legend. Problem is, it take 2 hands to open the jaws and a third to drop the gps into the mount. I squoze it in and pulled it out and soon destroyed the rubber sides; a factory deal to get fixed. Now I attach it to the mount with rubber bands. I didn't like the Garmin unit because it appeared to be difficult to remove / reattach the gps.

Edited by Idaho Taters

What car mount do you use?

I use the Garmin dash mount with the "repositionable" sticker rather than the permanent sticker. Sure, the "repositionable" sticker will become permanent at some point. But I find WD-40 a fantastic formula for removing ANYTHING sticky from just about ANYTHING smooth (fresh road tar off new car paint...that was the toughest test).

The only thing I don't like about it is that it required a different back (included with the mount), and that doesn't work with the protective carrying case I had for the unit. I either have to change the back every time I'm going to step out of the car, or leave the unit unprotected from the inevitable drops and bangs.

Then again, I couldn't see well through the casing's window anyway! :D

I too just bought a Legend.

I ordered one of the vent/dash mounts from ebay. There is pretty much only one major seller of the things, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Mine is so new, it is still in the mail. If you can, hold out until I try mine out and I may be able to save you a few $$. I should have it within the next couple of days.

Since I'm also a motorcyclist, I'm going to use the dash mount side of it, but instead of velcro on that side, I'm going to use 3M DuoLock. It is MUCH better than velcro, and doesn't wear out.

I can remove it from the dash of the car and mount it to the dash of the motorcycle. I hope it works out well.

Jeremy Z.

I use the RAM suction cup mount with my 76C. The arm is a double jointed, very heavy duty piece of aluminum with a large knob to lock it in position. I decided to go for a windshield mount since it would be the most versatile; I can use in any of our three vehicles, or in rental vehicles when travelling. A dash mount wouldn't have been very good for me since my Jeep has virtually no dash, and a vent mount isn't very good for me since not all our vehicles have a vent that will provide a decent signal view for the GPS.

The RAM mount requires two hands to spread the bottom of the bracket open when installing/removing the GPSr. Kind of annoying but other than that, it works very well. It stays locked in whatever position I choose, and I can position it such that I don't have to shift my head at all to read the GPS screen.

I decided to go for a windshield mount since it would be the most versatile; I can use in any of our three vehicles, or in rental vehicles when travelling.

I'm looking for a windshield mount for my van.. has anyone used one for a Garmin 60c with the sloping van windows? Will cold weather affect the suction?

I also rent and have a second car... U C My problem =)

Thanks Murfster

I just started using the Garmin suction cup windshield mount for my Legend C and it is great. It is very adjustable so you can put it lots of places. Also got cigarette lighter power adapter, very cool, by-passes the batteries so you can go forever, unless your car battery gives up. Legend C backlight stays on all the time when plugged in. ;)