76cs - Better Manual?

Hanging out in this forum isnt too bad. Take a look especially at the 60CS thread or, if you don't want to wade through all 10 pages, the 60/76 FAQ thread. Most of the discussions about the 60C and 60CS apply equally to the 76C and 76CS (although the 76 has more memory and a better base map).

I'm working on a FAQ web page for the 60/76. You can see a VERY Preliminary "work in process version" here.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I have to agree with Yin Yang Pony. The manual does stink! What's more upsetting is that I needed a manual at all. Most electronics I buy I can master after playing with it for an hour or so.

I got the baics down OK for geocaching. As far as using it for driving directions I would give it a thimbs down at this point. I have a Magellan 700 for driving that blows this thing away. It is much more inuitive.

Just my first impressions, since I only have it for a day.

As far as using it for driving directions I would give it a thimbs down at this point. I have a Magellan 700 for driving that blows this thing away. It is much more inuitive.

It's easy for me to use it. What isn't intuitive for you? Never used a Magellan to compare it to, but maybe if you mentioned what you're having issues with there's a simple answer.

I have a 76cs and I loaded City Select maps on it for my area. When I go into Setup => Maps, I see the maps that I loaded onto the unit, and they are all checked.

Now I hit the find button and select exits, the bottom of the screen indicates "base maps", and it appears that the choices are limited, as they would be if I only had base maps.

How do I search for exits on the City Select maps?

I have a 76cs and I loaded City Select maps on it for my area. When I go into Setup => Maps, I see the maps that I loaded onto the unit, and they are all checked.

Now I hit the find button and select exits, the bottom of the screen indicates "base maps", and it appears that the choices are limited, as they would be if I only had base maps.

How do I search for exits on the City Select maps?

I've only had one 'issue'. I was directed to turn right onto XYZ road, but the road name wasn't listed on any highway sign, only numbered signs pointing to other highways. If CS had listed the highway number instead of the road name, it would have been clear.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I guess my basic question is, how do I search for exits, cities, etc. on maps other than the built in base maps?

I have City Select maps loaded on my unit, but all of the searches seem to be using the built in base maps.

When you uploaded the maps, did you click the "points of interest" check box? I'm not at a computer with mapsource loaded on it, but as I recall, there is a box below the map tab that lets you toggle poi's off to reduce memory usage.

I guess my basic question is, how do I search for exits, cities, etc. on maps other than the built in base maps?

I have City Select maps loaded on my unit, but all of the searches seem to be using the built in base maps.

When you uploaded the maps, did you click the "points of interest" check box? I'm not at a computer with mapsource loaded on it, but as I recall, there is a box below the map tab that lets you toggle poi's off to reduce memory usage.

We might be hijicking this thread so maybe we should continue over in the main 60cs thread.

I loaded my 76 with the CS map (with all data) and the exits do show as using the basemaps. Viewing the maps via map source does show exits. I'm guessing that most major highway exits are covered in the basemaps and CS covers the rest. (Like I mentioned before I think CS tends to lists streets names not exit numbers in autorouting on the GPS.)

I need to play around with this s bit more.

Well, to get back to the original theme,

I have to agree with Yin Yang Pony. The manual does stink! What's more upsetting is that I needed a manual at all. Most electronics I buy I can master after playing with it for an hour or so.

The product should definately be more intuitive. Still not sure how to view my routes on the City Select maps.

I'll keep playing, but it shouldn't be this painful.

Granted, the magellan Roadmate 700 is made strictly for diving, but anyone can take it out of the box and drive. A couple of hours playing, and you're an expert. Doesn't work for geocaching though. I was hoping for a unit that would do both well.

The GPS Outfitter instructional videos are quite good and detailed. I have a DVD for the Rino 110/120. Walmart has several of the Garmin ones on clearance ($10.00) on their website. I noticed there is one for the 76 series (GPS 76, Map 76, and Map 76S) which I assume would be about the same except the color.

Walmart: GPS Outfitter DVD for Garmin 76 Series

FYI....

cachesafari