'you Are About To Erase Garmin Data...'

ebengreene

Hello,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it looks like my forum search skills aren't that great. Sorry.

As I get ready to download my CitySelect maps to my father's new Etrex Legend, I get a warning about deleting pre-programmed data from the Legend.

I would be happy to type the full warning message here if needed, but I'm betting this is a common Mapsource warning. So, I'm just looking for a little reassurance before I send the map data to the device.

Thanks,

Ben

Ignoring the message is almost always the right thing to do, but the previous replies that suggested the basemap would be overwritten were incorrect. The Garmin basemaps are stored in a separate part of the memory and are never overwritten or erased by anything.

What the warning message is talking about is a set of marine POI data (bouys, lights, channel markers, etc.) that Garmin preloads into the downloadable memory space. Those POIs will get overwritten by the detailed map data. If you ever want to see them later you can download them from the Garmin website and reload them, but doing so will replace any detailed maps you downloaded before.

Basemap is in permanent memory

the Firmware is in semi-permanent memory

The Mapsource Map memory goes into that main memory that is listed on the box, like the 8 meg Legend memory, this is where Marine POI and Mapsource maps are loaded into. It is only erasable by uploading other maps.

The waypoints & tracklogs are in user erasable memory

Edited by GOT GPS?