1st Timer

LostNFoundFMK

My friend and I just recived a new Garmin 72 for Christmas after telling the whole family about Geocaching.

But, I seem to be having several blonde moments. :P I cannot figure out how to enter in cordinates. I know how to 'mark' points when I am there but not how to get to cache's.

We were wondering if there is such a thing as some caching folks who know what they are doing getting together with us (who just started). :P

make a waypoint then use the toggle key, the big on in the middle, scroll up to the section that has the coordinates on it then press the enter key and you can change the coordiantes to what you want. It explains all this in the INSTRUCTIONS
:unsure: hez right and one more advice the first cache is the hardest one but mine was easy :lol:

It's simple but not intuitive, and the manual isn't all that helpful. You aren't first one to ask this, and won't be the last.

For almost all GPSr's you "Mark" your current position, and then scroll up to the coordinates and edit them to the coordinates you want. You can also edit the name, symbol, etc. if you'd like.

Two other common errors. Go through your manual and make sure that your "datum" is set to WGS84 (most GPSr's default to this) and make sure that your coordinates are set to hddd.mm.mmm (hemisphere, degrees, minutes and decimal minutes). Some GPSr's are set to hddd.mm.ss (hemisphere, degrees, minutes and seconds).

Welcome to caching!! :unsure:

Once you have edited your waypoint and saved it you must tell the GPS that you want it to go to that waypoint. You can then use the map page or compass page on the GPS to find the cache. I start wit the map page until I am close then switch to the compass page.

:unsure:

I agree though that the best thing to do is find a local cacher who is willing to go with you a few times. It will make your life a whole lot easier. After you have been caching a while you will get a sense for what to look for once you get to the cache site. A seasoned cacher can help you find this out a lot quicker.