Poor Quality Assurance At Garmin!!

Wow. Moderator?!

I'm not generally a fan of forum moderation, but the personal "comments" have gotten way out of hand. In my opinion, the original poster was disappointed and came here to vent in a place where he expected perhaps a little sympathy and some direction on how to handle the situation. After the first few posts there hasn't been much constructive input to this thread and the whole thread should really be on its way to the bottom of the page by now. Instead it just keeps going and going.

Yes, I can stop reading at any time, and I suppose I will. I wasn't happy about the way this thread was going since yesterday, but as the recipient of a defective GPSmap 76CS on Xmas morning I was understandably interested in the subject matter. I kept hoping that someone would have some valuable information for the OP; with very few exceptions all I see are cheap personal attacks. If "acting mature" is the issue here, how about some of you try leading by example?

~Zhanna

I kept hoping that someone would have some valuable information for the OP; with very few exceptions all I see are cheap personal attacks. If "acting mature" is the issue here, how about some of you try leading by example?

The "extremely valuable" information was already given: Call Garmin's customer service (or Amazon's, since it was bought there) and explain the situation CALMLY and POLITELY and they'll very likely take care of it QUICKLY. Garmin has a reputation (at least on these boards, and likely elsewhere) for great customer service.

What's this guy going to be like when he cannot find a cache ????????

On the off-chance that someday I can't find a cache, I will let you know. :unsure:

I called Garmin this morning, and they are sending me the part that they forgot to install, and didn't notice was missing when they inspected it (I assume they have some sort inspection, but maybe I am giving them too much credit.) Fortunatly I didn't have to get tough with them.

And if that happens, what will you do?

I will find some way to exchange it some place, then proceed to post anywhere and everywhere every detail of my experience with Garmin.

It sounds like you are blowing it out of proportion. The employees at Garmin (like every company) are humans, and sometimes a mistake happens. When I had to have my GPS 12 fixed (after dropping it , and taking it on many rough caches) Garmin was great about it, and included a free case.

When my Mag SportTrak Map had case cracks Mag fixed it, but barely acknowledged that it was a design flaw

Give the folks at Garmin a chance to make it right.

I bought my Rino 120 from my son when he bought the 130. As I turn on the Rino, it decides to shut itself off. This happened repeatedly. The GPSr was 1 month out of warranty. I called Garmin and asked how much to get it fixed. They said send it in, we'll take care of it.

They ended up sending me a brand new GPSr AND a car power cord! ($50 at REI)!

THAT's what I call service!

I'm sure Amazon will take it back and send you out a new one if you like.

I hate to see Amazon take the hit when it is Garmin that screwed up. Then the time element as to when I will have a working unit. I also on not looking forward to trying to repackage the thing to ship back. *GRUMBLE* Not pleased with Garmin at this moment!

Amazon won't "take a hit" for this. When retailers have defective mdse returned to them, they return it to the manufacturer.

It's all part of doing business.

Be very grateful that you received such an expensive toy. There are people going hungry and people fighting wars.

Sleep well in your warm bed with a smile on your face, thankful for the blessings you have. :D

When retailers have defective mdse returned to them, they return it to the manufacturer.

It's all part of doing business.

True, and that is why you could exchange it at any store that sells them.

Such as Target.

Tell them you got it as a gift and it does not work.

If they sell the same model (they do around here) they will exchage it for you no questions asked.

I have a phrase that describes his attitude.  We call it the Princess Prunella Syndrome.  Remember Princess Prunella from your childhood book readings.  Her favorite line was:

I WANT WHAT IT WANT WHEN I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW!

I want what my wife paid for, and I don't want to have to pay extra shipping to get what Garmin should have delivered in the first place.

It is interesting how people keep posting how they dropped their GPS or thier GPS broke after using it for a while, etc. I didn't drop mine, or misuse it it anyway....I never used it at all. It came brand new missing a nessesary part. Also thank you all for the suggestions of shoving a paperclip in there...wouldn't something like that void the warranty? It would seem to be pretty stupid to void the warranty on a brand new item.

Edited by Hinge Thunder

When I purchased my Garmin Legend C and the car kit a few weeks ago I noticed that I didn't have the adaptor that fits on the back of the GPS to make it attach to the dash stand. I saw it was supposed to come with the unit but was not in the box. Neither was the wrist strap. I called Garmin and within two days they sent me the wrist strap and the handlebar bike kit (which includes the adaptor) for free. I am more than satisfied with the way they handled the situation.

When I purchased my Garmin Legend C and the car kit a few weeks ago I noticed that I didn't have the adaptor that fits on the back of the GPS to make it attach to the dash stand. I saw it was supposed to come with the unit but was not in the box. Neither was the wrist strap. I called Garmin and within two days they sent me the wrist strap and the handlebar bike kit (which includes the adaptor) for free. I am more than satisfied with the way they handled the situation.

Fortunately you didn't have to get tough with them.

<_<

It is interesting how people keep posting how they dropped their GPS or thier GPS broke after using it for a while, etc. I didn't drop mine, or misuse it it anyway....I never used it at all. It came brand new missing a nessesary part. Also thank you all for the suggestions of shoving a paperclip in there...wouldn't something like that void the warranty? It would seem to be pretty stupid to void the warranty on a brand new item.

These stories were only meant to illustrate how Garmin handled their affairs. Sorry you thought the suggestions were stupid, I imagine they were offered in a spirit of trying to help out.

By the way HingeThunder are you going to inform us about how Garmin handled your problem?