Pupose of placenames

Ty&Kim

I am new to geocaching and am wondering what the purpose of the placnames are. When you download the cords for a cache there is a checkbox to download placenames. I recently thought these placenames where waypoints to the cache. I now know that they are not. Can anyone tell me what placenames are used for?? Thanks. icon_confused.gif

My understanding is that it is intended to give a short, consistant code name for each cache. A number of popular GPS units cannot handle more than six digits for a waypoint name; so this gives a unique waypoint name for each cache. It may or may not be of value to you, depending on your equipment.

GoPherStash

I believe the option to download placenames gives you the option to download waypoints in the area of the cache that you are looking at. For example, I believe there are schools, streams, and other waypoints like that included. So instead of downloading just the waypoint for the cache itself, you are downloading the waypoint to the cache and waypoints for nearby landmarks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Proud new owner of a Vista

This is a way to download ''POI'' or, ''Points Of Interest'' in the area of the cache.

Points of interest include things like:

· Cities

· Airports

· Recreation/Amusement

· Parks

· Wineries

· Sight seeing

· Golf courses

· Tourist attractions

· Sport stadiums

· Historical & Museums

· Archery & Firearm shooting ranges

· Aerial events

· Gardens

· Campgrounds

· Zoos & Aquariums

· Hunting & Fishing locations

To name a few.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."