Gps76cs And Mapsource And Waypoints

gis_girl

:P Hi guys,

I've searched and tried to do homework before posting, but could anyone tell me or point me to the correct posts out there -- on how to load waypoints (*.loc) and send them automatically to my GPSMAP 76CS -- oops, we opened presents a bit early. :P

I have Mapsource installed that came with the Garmin unit (& the US TOPO 100K data). I installed and tried out the EasyGPS program. I imported a couple of the .loc files I made from geocaching.com (for our trip to Vegas tomorrow!). I can receive the two waypoints from my GPSr into EasyGPS so they are talking to each other. But, when I send the selected waypoints from EasyGPS to my unit, it scrolls through the dialog and ends happily, but checking the 76cs unit waypoints, nothing got loaded -- no app errors, nothing.

Thanks! I'd rather not have to manually enter these in using MapSource and there has to be an easier way with Mapsource (or maybe not) -- anyone know why Mapsource won't read .gpx files -(UGH!) unless i'm missing something?

We're psyched, this will be our first geocaching adventure and we're total map geeks!

You need to download the beta version of MapSource. Also it will only open Groundspeak GPX files. The GPX files saved by EasyGPS are binary and won't open in Mapsource.

When you create waypoints in EasyGPS make sure they have a name. If not they won't show up on the 76CS. Also make sure you are looking for waypoints and not geocaches on the 76CS, the waypoints you send are probably not set up to be geocaches and won't show up in the geocaching menu.

The best way to do all this is to become a premium member and download GPX files from Groundspeak. Also you can then do a Pocket Query of all the nearest caches.

Welcome to the game.

Thanks to both of you for the great tips!

The problem was between the keyboard and the chair -- somewhat. When I loaded them they did only load as waypoints and I was checking that, but the waypoints are only set to display if they are "Close by" -- hence I was elated to find all of the uploaded geocache points in the receiver while standing in front of the Bellagio waiting for the fountains to dance. So, I'll own up to that -- I should have tested the geocaches near my computer desk's lat/long.

We really like this GPSMap 76CS. It came in quite handy finding our first 6 geocaches this weekend. However, the user manual leaves much to be desired and I wish the unit BEEPED after it successfully receives information -- since it wasn't beeping, I figured there was an error. I also wish I could transfer loaded waypoints into the Geocaching category, but that's a comment to Garmin...

I've also found that GPSBABLE will convert the downloaded .loc files into a Mapsource readable format. But, we're still joining the premium membership. The work that goes into the website is much appreciated.

signed, ex-Maryland girl now in SoCAL