Welcome Christmas Peoples!

aka Monkey

I'm getting mine on Christmas Morning!!!! :P

Can't wait until Sunday to use it (family duties tomorrow prevent me from much playing with it :P )

Gahhhh!!!!!

I'm not getting it until Tuesday... TUESDAY!!!!! BUUAAAA!!!!!!! :P

(I KNEW that I should've ordered it yesterday...)

Oh well, got lots of free time by New Year's.. so I'll be caching them :D

Got my Legend yesterday morning,had family things to do and had to work all last night with no sleep.Going to inlaws today,but I played with my new toy all night at work(took a lot of smoke breaks just to get outside and fire it up.Clear night I was hitting 9 sattelites,man I'm ready to get cachin'...Merry Christmas Ya'll..........

I got my Legend yesterday morning. I didn't ask for one and I didn't expect it. What a surprise. I also got a book on geocaching and I never knew much about the sport/game. I think I'm gonna get hooked on it though! It looks like a lot of fun!

Jim

Remember, Jim, we can all quit any time we want to. We just don't want to! I totally deny that I am in denial.

Welcome to the recreational activity/sporty/hobby/addiction.

i just got mine for x-mas too. Although I've been waiting several months for an excuse to get one. I met a friend for lunch this past summer and we found one nearby. I've been chomping at the bit ever since. Now that I have one, there's 16" of snow and ice in KY and it's driving me mad. Come on sun!

Don't let that stop you. Search for a cache thats been found since the snow has fallen and they'll be footprints leading you right to it. Or they could lead you around in circles but either way, get out there and have fun. Snow caching is a blast!

Don't let that stop you. Search for a cache thats been found since the snow has fallen and they'll be footprints leading you right to it. Or they could lead you around in circles but either way, get out there and have fun. Snow caching is a blast!

You were right JMB, I went out and found a couple in the snow and it was great.

Do I have to work today?

I'm getting mine on Christmas Morning!!!!  :unsure:

Can't wait until Sunday to use it (family duties tomorrow prevent me from much playing with it  :D )

Gahhhh!!!!!

I'm not getting it until Tuesday... TUESDAY!!!!! BUUAAAA!!!!!!! :huh:

(I KNEW that I should've ordered it yesterday...)

Oh well, got lots of free time by New Year's.. so I'll be caching them :D

WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

I got my GPSr today!!!!!!!!!!! :)

(doing the "I Got My GPSr Today" Dance)

I've already got 40 waypoints in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait until tomorrow and go caching before work and during lunch :D (it's too late for me to go today, d'oh)

Edited by BionicFreak

Greetings! I got my first GPS this christmas. Got a Garmin eTrex Vista. I did not know about geocaching till about 6 weeks ago. My wife and I are looking forward to having fun with this. I wanted one for exploring South Utah but learned about geocaching while researching them on-line. There is one less than a mile from my house ;-)

I too am a newbie to Geocaching. Got mind on Sat but messed around with it and went out today and found two caches. Had fun but am going to have to find someone to pal around with. One of the sites was a little rough and I am getting older...haha

Got the Garmin V Deluxe. My very first one and am lost as a goose in a pepper patch...reckon I could find my way out of it with my GPS...lol

Having problems doing everything on the unit but am having fun finding out how. Will need to learn to download the corridinates from the web pages too. No serial port on my laptop and the software I used is not recoginizing the unit.

My boyfriend and I are both map/GIS geeks and can't believe that we've never gotten into this sport until now. We found 6 caches this weekend and love the new GPSMAP 76CS that was for him (us) :blink: from me for xmas. While he doesn't really get to enjoy the gift he got me (sapphires!) :unsure: he lets me play with OUR gpsr for our new hobby. The many helpful posts on this site have been great -- thanks to all the veterans!

To all of you who were fortunate enough to have a GPSr delivered by the old man in the red suit:

WELCOME!!!! It's been called an addiction, a hobby, a sport - but, whatever you call it, it's a huge amount of fun!

Enjoy the ............... (insert suitable word!), and don't let the Muggles get you down!

Hello!!

I am brand new to this new game... got myself a Garmin etrex Legend for the big day! what a surprise that was!! :blink:

and now a friend got me onto this geocaching! and I am already hooked! although haven't been out yet, and don't suspect I will till the snow goes,, as I am not sure what kind of caching can be done with all this snow we have,,

I am anxious to get started tho!!

at first I thought that that my new gps was not big enough to participate in such a fun game,, but after reading several posts on here,, I see that I am well equiped!!! :unsure:

missmod88 :huh:

Got a Legend C for Christmas. Went out and found two caches christmas day, another 3 on the 27th, and have hid one now this evening as well.

Question for someone, if anyone knows the answer, Garmin says I can't use anything but there maps, but National Geographic says their maps will work with Garmin products, can I actually use the National Geo TOPO maps on my garmin, or do I have to buy the Garmin ones?

Thanks!

Fall City Traveler

Question for someone, if anyone knows the answer,  Garmin says I can't use anything but there maps, but National Geographic says their maps will work with Garmin products, can I actually use the National Geo TOPO maps on my garmin, or do I have to buy the Garmin ones?

As far as I'm aware, only the Mapsource ones can be loaded onto your Garmin itself, but many map programs work with Garmin on the computer. In other words, the National Geographic maps (which are gorgeous) live on your computer, and you can (for example) upload the day's adventures from your GPSr onto them, and actually see the stumbling line that is YOU, looking for a cache. It is cool beyond cool.

It's been fun checking the list of my past caches to see which ones were hit Christmas Eve and Christmas Day by happy newbies. Welcome, y'all...you are SO in trouble now.

I too am a newbie to Geocaching.  Got mind on Sat but messed around with it and went out today and found two caches.  Had fun but am going to have to find someone to pal around with.  One of the sites was a little rough and I am getting older...haha 

Got the Garmin V Deluxe.  My very first one and am lost as a goose in a pepper patch...reckon I could find my way out of it with my GPS...lol

Having problems doing everything on the unit but am having fun finding out how.  Will need to learn to download the corridinates from the web pages too.  No serial port on my laptop and the software I used is not recoginizing the unit.

Get yourself a serial->USB cable. It'll plug into the USB port of your laptop, and have a serial port on the end for you to plug your GPS into. You'll probably pay $20-30 for it.

For software to transfer waypoints, try EasyGPS or for a bunch of nice bells and whistles, GSAK.

If you get the converter, using the driver disc (at least on the one I use), gave me a different port to choose... it was "USBxxxxx" or something like that, so you may need to check your port settings after everything is installed to take it off COM1 or whatever it is you have it at.

Good luck!

edit: fixed a URL tag.

Edited by robert
For software to transfer waypoints, try EasyGPS or for a bunch of nice bells and whistles, [http://www.gsak.net]GSAK[/url].

I downloaded GSAK for my Garmin eTrex Vista and besides having to change the COM port setting, it just worked out of the box. I loaded 3 "LOC" files from geocaching.com for this weekend. It even shows up in the waypoint list with a nice identifier name. Very cool.

I have allways loved maps and navigation. I also am a high-tech junkie, so this hobby fits quite nicely...

For software to transfer waypoints, try EasyGPS or for a bunch of nice bells and whistles, GSAK.

I downloaded GSAK for my Garmin eTrex Vista and besides having to change the COM port setting, it just worked out of the box. I loaded 3 "LOC" files from geocaching.com for this weekend. It even shows up in the waypoint list with a nice identifier name. Very cool.

I have allways loved maps and navigation. I also am a high-tech junkie, so this hobby fits quite nicely...

Welcome to geocaching! Glad you got GSAK working, it's a nice program. :)

Had my GPS since mid-November, but due to the Holiday rush, SWMBO asked "No geocaching until after Christmas." Which was fine by me, since I needed time to get accessories and such together (e.g., Geocaching.com subscription, Vito Navigator II, a decent compass, stamp for letterboxing, etc.). The second day after Christmas, we had time for a quick hunt and had our first find. The kids were excited and we squeezed in one more find. We'll probably head out again on Friday since I have it off for New Year's, but SWMBO probably will stay at home (HATES the cold something fierce).

Got myself a Legend for xmas :D

Was busy travelling, so finally got out for my first find today, and I am hooked. I've been looking for something to get me and the kids outside more (especially in the winter), and i love tech toys, so this is a perfect match.

I finally have a use for my palmpilot that has been sitting unused for 2 years...... already bought cacheman, will be getting a license for GSAK and subscribing to a premium membership.

I tired to do it all on my mac, but got too frustrated, so I use my work laptop instead, works great.

Transfering more loc's tonight to get ready to drag the kids outside again tomorrow. :D