Tb Logging

rramsar42

I picked up a TB and logged the find. Somehow I also logged it back into the same cache by mistake. I have since placed it in to another cache and can not record it in that new cache since according to my statistics I do not have possession of it any more. I can not "retrieve it" from the first cache again and log it into the second cache because I do not have the TB tacking #. What do I do?

Go to the bug's page and email the owner and see if he can help you. The only way I know that this can be corrected is with the TB #. I have know some new cachers who have gone back to the cache to get the numbers before the bug is picked up again. What they COUGH Cough Cough !!! learned is to keep a journal for yourself and each cache you visit. I write the cache name, what I left what i am taking what bug & number I am leaving and addotionally what tb & # I have picked up from the cache. This has helped immensely especially when caching 7-15 or more a day. I also now do this with a personal palm pilot.

Go to the bug's page and email the owner and see if he can help you. The only way I know that this can be corrected is with the TB #. I have know some new cachers who have gone back to the cache to get the numbers before the bug is picked up again. What they COUGH Cough Cough !!! learned is to keep a journal for yourself and each cache you visit. I write the cache name, what I left what i am taking what bug & number I am leaving and addotionally what tb & # I have picked up from the cache. This has helped immensely especially when caching 7-15 or more a day. I also now do this with a personal palm pilot.

I have e-mailed the owner and am waiting for a response. I would pick it up again but it is a 55 mile drive. I do have a pocket PC but have yet to find a decent tracking software to use.

Depending on you internet browsers, sometimes if you go to the 'Add a log entry" page and double click in the place you put the bug number, the numbers you've entered will show. Just something to try.

I've made it a habit to record each bug name and number, on a list in an email draft. It's saved me from a few mistakes.

Good luck

Go to the bug's page and email the owner and see if he can help you.  The only way I know that this can be corrected is with the TB #.  I have know some new cachers who have gone back to the cache to get the numbers before the bug is picked up again.  What they COUGH Cough Cough !!! learned is to keep a journal for yourself and  each cache you visit.  I write the cache name, what I left what i am taking what bug & number I am leaving and addotionally what tb & # I have picked up from the cache.  This has helped immensely especially when caching 7-15  or more a day.  I also now do this with a personal palm pilot.

I have e-mailed the owner and am waiting for a response. I would pick it up again but it is a 55 mile drive. I do have a pocket PC but have yet to find a decent tracking software to use.

This is a lesson I learned the hard way long time ago. I also keep a record of all TB's and caches. After logging 278 TB's you wouldn't want to lose your data.

Here's a little trick I use. I just use "Pocket Excel" on the PDA. I have one file for "Geocaches" named by year, and one file for TB's. Here's the really important part. Save these files to "Memory cards" and not the main memory on the PDA. That way if your PDA locks up on you out in the field and you have to do a soft reset, you don't lose your data.

Then when I get home I just drag and drop the files from the PDA onto my desktop on the main computer. That way I always have a duplicate record.

Just take the time in the field to record your cache trades and your TB #'s. And don't forget to save each time you change the record in the field. That way it is recorded on the memory cards.

I also do a "Pocket Query" daily for "All" (limited to 500 caches, that I don't own, that are active), "Found", "NF" (not found), "TB's"(caches with TB's), "Newest" (that I don't own) caches within a 100 mile radius. I transfer these files to my memory cards on the PDA. Then I use GPXview to view the file info in the field. The nice thing about GPXview is it's just like sitting in front of your computer at home. You have all of the cache info displayed as well as "Hints", and the last five logs. Try it you'll like it. I find that the "NF" file is about 2megs in the PDA. I also upload the NF file into my GPS and I'm ready to hit the road.

Best Regards,

n7viv and DB........... :D

Edited by n7viv and DB