Got It

dwayne23

I finely got my gps. I bought a Meridian Gold (sorry Garman users) and I spent all day playing with it and my brother went and bought one last night after I have been telling him about Caching. There is one next to where he lives and several around me. He wants to go tonight and I am also ready. Any advices for me. I would like to thank every one for there help also. I need to buy some soft ware and do not know what is the best for me. Thanks and I am ready to go on the hunt.

Dwayne23

<_<

Like Rogue Monkey said, bring extra batteries. You said you're going at night which makes it a little trickier but the main thing is just have fun. Bring a bottle of water for the longer ones, also a walking stick comes in handy for poking in spots you wouldn't want to stick your hand in. Welcome to the madness. <_<

As for the software it depends on what you want to do. Easygps is what you need to be able to load waypoints automatically. Check the links page of GC.com or Markwell or CYBret's homepages, they have lots of helpful hints.

Edited by macatac1961
I looked at your beginers page and think I found out that my Garmin GPS III doesn't have or support WAAS? Can it be upgraded and if so, how and where can this be done?

DON'T WORRY about WAAS! I have mine turned OFF on my 60CS. I did this after looking at the satellite screen and realizing that there were a lot of times I wasn't receiving WAAS signals anyway.

No big deal, enjoy your III.

:P

I looked at your beginers page and think I found out that my Garmin GPS III doesn't have or support WAAS? Can it be upgraded and if so, how and where can this be done?

DON'T WORRY about WAAS! I have mine turned OFF on my 60CS. I did this after looking at the satellite screen and realizing that there were a lot of times I wasn't receiving WAAS signals anyway.

No big deal, enjoy your III.

:P

You people are way ahead of me, I don't know what 60CS or WAAS or most of the other terms about GPS's, your using means?

I'll bet you haven't learned the secret handshake yet either!

Oh yeah!! He has to learn the handshake and the secret meet-and-greet dance. :P

I'm afraid I've forgotten it myself. Where's briansnat? Wasn't it his creation??? I need a refresher course. :P:P

Yes, I see now, I must be in the wrong place? I thought this was a site to help the novices?

You people are way ahead of me, I don't know what 60CS or WAAS or most of the other terms about GPS's, your using means?

My bad, I thought you knew what WAAS was when you mentioned it.

In a nutshell, WAAS is an error-correction in your GPS that helps make it a bit more accurate. Trouble is you don't always receive a WAAS signal so you may not get the full benefit of it. Downside is battery life. Here's some good threads on WAAS:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=48347

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=79544

"60CS" refers to a specific Garmin GPS.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/index.jsp

I'll bet you haven't learned the secret handshake yet either!

Oh yeah!! He has to learn the handshake and the secret meet-and-greet dance. :unsure:

I'm afraid I've forgotten it myself. Where's briansnat? Wasn't it his creation??? I need a refresher course. :lol::lol:

Yes, I see now, I must be in the wrong place? I thought this was a site to help the novices?

Relax, Amigo. You'll get all the help you can handle along with a healthy dose of humor. Remember, if a knucklehead like me can find and hide these things, anyone can.