Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
W7WT

Andaman Island

Got my Christmas present early this morning. Yesterday, I only need two DXCC countrys, Yemen and Andaman & Nicobar Island. Today I worked Andaman so now I need to get the QSL card from them and then maybe I can work Yemen to have worked them all. If any of you are DXer, you know just how short the window was to have worked them. Some US stations have never heard them. I live just west of Seattle across Puget Sound. They usually come in here on 20 meters about 1630Z and then again at around 0130Z. Please post if you have either worked them or at least heard them. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Its now 1:09 Z and I think I barely hear something on 14.026. DX Summit showed a contact here about 20 minutes ago. Some people accidently sending here instead of up. Someone just sent "USA" I need to go somewhere with a decent antenna......

Its now 1:09 Z and I think I barely hear something on 14.026. DX Summit showed a contact here about 20 minutes ago. Some people accidently sending here instead of up. Someone just sent "USA" I need to go somewhere with a decent antenna......

Thanks for the report. i think they are coming in to California around 1600Z and then again around 0152Z. On SSB 14191, I hear the W6's giving s9 reports. Beam heading for short path here is about 320°True. I have been informed by the Western Washington DX Club that to hold off QSLing for a while as they think there will be a state side manager. 73 Dick, W7WT

Updated: 10:24 AM EST

Massive Quake, Tsunami Hit South Asia

At Least 7,000 Feared Dead in Six Countries as Tidal Waves Slam Coasts

Andaman Islands were hit hard. According to all the posts on DX Summit they are OK and were heard working VU2 using only 20 watts. I am sure the dxpedition is over and we wish the best for them. Dick, W7WT

Hi from your usually quiet form mod. This forum is for GPS/geocaching related ham radio usage. There are plenty of other nets and msg boards out there to discuss DX.

73's

NJ Admin

Yes, of course you are right. Would you please lock it. I wanted to close it but couldn't see how to do it. 73 Dick, W7WT

Before we lock it, how about a question about a cache that requires use of a DX contact to find one of the coordinates for a given cache? Would anyone find this interesting?

A team cache in which you got a coord from a HAM contact and the other from GC's site.

Around here in the Seattle area and probably in the whole geocaching community I don't think there is very many DXers. There seems to be a lot of technician and some general class that might be interested in ANY contact including VHF to get one of the coordinates. Interesting concept. 73 Dick

Before we lock it, how about a question about a cache that requires use of a DX contact to find one of the coordinates for a given cache? Would anyone find this interesting?

A team cache in which you got a coord from a HAM contact and the other from GC's site.

I have been thinking about your idea. I think at an event you could have the geocachers call in on their approach either on 2 meter simplex or FRS or just monitor the frequencies to get either one of the coordinates or maybe parts of both the latitude and longitude. That way you wouldn't leave out too many people. You could even have a WP with the information for those without any communications. 73 Dick

Before we lock it, how about a question about a cache that requires use of a DX contact to find one of  the coordinates for a given cache?  Would anyone find this interesting?

I have been thinking about your idea. I think at an event you could have the geocachers call in on their approach either on 2 meter simplex or FRS or just monitor the frequencies to get either one of the coordinates or maybe parts of both the latitude and longitude. That way you wouldn't leave out too many people. You could even have a WP with the information for those without any communications. 73 Dick

I like the idea of a waypoint. People could work it as a 5/* single with the HAM or a 2/* multi. I may just give that a chance at our next club meeting.

Good Luck, I hope it works out for you. BTW, I was K0MEE when we lived in Lincoln while I was working on a graduate degree in 1957-1959. I now catch on to your user name. Yes, I am a Big Red graduate. 73 Dick, W7WT

About Andaman Island, the DX expedition is over but from what I heard, all six people are alive and are turning efforts towards passing traffic for aid concerning health and welfare. The hotel where they were staying is okay; they lost none of their equipment and are now spread out at different areas of the island. I would not look for that QSL card anytime soon!

hamfolk

KE4HYN

Thanks for the information. On Monday last week I sent my QSL card and 10 iRCs to India. Wednesday I got back just my card. Seems the sorting Post Office in Tacoma machine ate up my envelope. I did get back 8 of the IRCs and sent them, a return envelope, and my QSL card to India again. According to the W4 that was there with them, they want to handle the cards themself. Hope I can get this card. Then I will only need Yemen to work them all. I will soon be 80 and would like to get them all done in my lifetime. Just as I now have 731 geocaching finds. I would like to get 1000 in the next few years. 73 Dick, W7WT