Gsak Questions

Jer & Britt

I have a couple Questions about using this software

1-) How is the best way to use this? Is there a way to keep updating this so that it stays current with the website? If so how do you do this? I would like to be able to have it update the user comments, cache info etc...

2-) Also is there a way to upload my cache notes to the geocaching.com website from this program. So if i make the comments in the notes section, can I upload them to the website, or do I still have to do that manually.

Thank you

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

To keep your GSAK updated, you need to run pocket queries for a given area (zip code, coordinates, etc). This query will then be emailed to you and you can import that into GSAk. I have setup weekly and daily queries on GC.com and add them to keep everything nice and up to date.

As far as uploading to GC.com, that is not possible. You will have to enter the information in manually.

Hope this helps

John

To keep your GSAK updated, you need to run pocket queries for a given area (zip code, coordinates, etc). This query will then be emailed to you and you can import that into GSAk. I have setup weekly and daily queries on GC.com and add them to keep everything nice and up to date.

After you run the queries, do you just import them as a new file, or is there a way just to merge and overwrite the existing file so that you don't have tons of .gpx files hanging around the computer? What's the best way to use GSAK to keep sites updated with new finds and caches, etc.? Thanks in advance for your help..

Mark

To keep your GSAK updated, you need to run pocket queries for a given area (zip code, coordinates, etc).  This query will then be emailed to you and you can import that into GSAk.  I have setup weekly and daily queries on GC.com and add them to keep everything nice and up to date.

After you run the queries, do you just import them as a new file, or is there a way just to merge and overwrite the existing file so that you don't have tons of .gpx files hanging around the computer? What's the best way to use GSAK to keep sites updated with new finds and caches, etc.? Thanks in advance for your help..

Mark

When you load a GPX file, GSAK automatically merges the incoming data witht he GSAK database. That is, if the cache exists in the database the data is updated with the latest information (including logs). If it does not exist in the database then the cache is added.

If you don't like the actual GPX files lying around on your computer then tick the box "Delete files(s) loaded when finishd". This will delete the actual GPX file(s) from your computer after you have loaded it/them into GSAK

As new pocket queries arrive, you can just drag and drop them into GSAK. The program updates any caches already in the database, and adds any new caches. If your pocket query asks for the closest 100, and a new cache is placed, GSAK will tell you "99 caches updated, 1 cache added." It is all transparent to the user. I imagine Clyde will stop by and elaborate if this isn't clear. He is always around here adding helpful information.

Pocket queries only give you the 5 most recent logs, but by running them regularly and dragging them into GSAK, you can develop a good history for caches in your area(s) of interest. The last-five-log thing is a function of Groundspeak software, not GSAK.

Edit: Not only did Clyde drop in, but he types faster than I do!

Edited by Sputnik 57

Thanks for your help. I keep a databases for areas I'm traveling to around the country. You've helped me figure out a way to keep things updated, keep a longer log of finds, and get rid of some of the clutter that has found its way into the multitude of files that I have been keeping on the computer. Thanks a bunch..

And - Merry Christmas!!

Mark