I Found A Benchmark That Is Not Listed

GeoSar

I was out in the woods hunting a Geocache when I stumbled on a bench mark it is a elevation marker it says 64.2 ft the location is N28.57.333 W081.44.808

when I did a bench mark search the closest one to that location is over a half mile away so how do I log this one when it's not listed, I took photos of it I would post them but I don't know how, so tell me how I can log it if it's not listed please

Thanks

GeoSar

Sorry but You can't. Only the ones on found on this site are fair game.

Likely what you found is one of tens of thousands of survey marks out there.

To post a image you need some web space to have it on. Many ISP provide for this for the customer and you link to it here.

From the Benchmarking FAQs...

I found a benchmark, but it isn't in your database. Why?

The NGS is not the only organization that creates and uses benchmarks and other types of control markers. For example, the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) places survey markers at their dams, dikes, levees, flood control systems and other structures. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and other federal agencies, along with your county surveyor and private surveyors and engineers place markers that often appear very similar to geodetic markers, to reference land survey corners as part of the public land survey system. Your local highway department also may have set markers along highways, at major bridges and overpasses. Many markers have also been set in recent years by utility companies, telecom companies, and others engaged in laying pipe or cable over long distances, to mark their underground lines. In most cases, the information stamped on the disk will tell you, or at least give you a clue, about its purpose. Remember, all these markers are highly important, both to businesses and to individual citizens such as your neighbors, so please treat them with respect, while enjoying the thrill of the hunt. We'll try to find other databases and add them to the site as well. If you have access to one of these databases and would like to submit it to Groundspeak, contact us.

If you find a marker that isn't in the database, please do not email the site with the information. Unfortunately at the moment there is nothing to do with the information you send us. Hopefully, we'll have a way to report new benchmark finds in the future. In the meantime, feel free to challenge your fellow hunters to help you identify any markers you find that have only cryptic initials on them by posting a photo and description on the message board.

- Kewaneh