Gear For Placing A Cache

Katydid & Miles Stone

This is a bit of a spin on gear you need to bring to go caching. I've a seperate box of gear in my car just in case I come upon that perfect place for a cache. Some items:

-Ammo box with goodies

-Assorted micro containers

-Fishing line

-Wire (aluminum and copper)

-Tape

-Permanent marker

-Plastic sheets

-Small shovel

-Gloves

-Nylon rope

-Backpack

-Knife

-Contact cement

-Rag

-Utility Tool

-Hammer

-Magnetic tape

-Sand paper

Anything else anyone can think of? Katydid reminded me that I better be prepared to explain should a police officer ever look in my trunk. :blink: MS

-Small shovel

-Contact cement

These two had me really pondering.

A ) Why would you need a shovel when on anywhere but your own property, caches probably shouldn't be buried?

and

B ) What in the WORLD would you need contact cement for in placing a cache?!? :blink:

Edited by Markwell

My cache hiding kit is also my cache repair kit. It's a large plastic storage box with a handle, like an oversized ammo can. In it I keep:

Duct tape

Scissors

Stash notes of various sizes, some with my contact info and some generic

Plastic bags of various sizes

Rope

Fishing line

Ready-made microcaches

Temporary replacement micros (i.e. film canisters)

Sharpie

Magnets

Extra Logbooks

Extra Micro logsheets

Other gear useful for hiding a cache is part of my regular backpack, including a Leatherman utility tool, a compass, etc.

I don't carry a shovel, contact cement or other items that would seem most useful in situations where one is altering the natural environment when placing the cache.

The shovel is quite small and used more for cleaning up a surface where the cache is placed.

By plastic sheets I mean the ones used in folders. The permanent marker adheres to this well and dampness won't take it off - great for micros on a multi-cache.

The contact cement has yet to be used. One day I'm sure I'll need to bond two rocks together. :angry:

Thanks for all of your feedback on my list. MS :lol:

The only thing I take besides the cache is a permanet marker to add the final coordinates to the cache container.

At first, I marked the container with the coordinates. Then I realized that the cacher already had the coordinates. I just write the name of the cache and Rusty's home telephone number. :angry:

I put the coordinates on for non-cachers who stumble on the cache. Makes it look official like.

BTW: That was the number for the Old Bridge Ranch. :lol:

Ah. I have never seen that movie.

I've also never seen Animal House, if that explains anything.

Animal House wasn't very funny. Airplane might have been the funniest movie ever made (next to Being There).

At first, I marked the container with the coordinates. Then I realized that the cacher already had the coordinates. I just write the name of the cache and Rusty's home telephone number

I often wondered why people write the coordinates on the container. I mean I'm there, I know the coordinates. As far as the name, I usually don't think of it until I'm sitting in front of the keyboard submitting the cache.

Edited by briansnat

Animal House wasn't very funny. Airplane might have been the funniest movie ever made (next to Being There).

At first, I marked the container with the coordinates. Then I realized that the cacher already had the coordinates. I just write the name of the cache and Rusty's home telephone number

I often wondered why people write the coordinates on the container. I mean I'm there, I know the coordinates. As far as the name, I usually don't think of it until I'm sitting in front of the keyboard submitting the cache.

I watched Animal house again recently and I agree, not to funny. At the time though it was a riot. I think Planes Trains and automobiles is about the funniest movie ever.

"I've never seen a man actualy lifted by his testicals before."

As I said before I think it makes the cache look a little more official to a non cacher who might find it.

Neal: Del.

Del: Hmmm.

Neal: Why did you kiss my ear?

Del: Why are you holding my hand?

Neal: Where's your other hand?

Del: Between two pillows.

Neal: Those aren't pillows!

Both: AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(much shivering and grimacing by both)

Neal: See that Bears game last week?

Del: Yeah, helluva a game, helluva game. Bears gotta great team this year.

Back on topic...I've never written the coordinates on the cache before. I mean, obviously you found the cache, so why do you need them? Echoing Briansnat's comment--naming the cache is often what takes the longest. It's rare that I have a name for the cache when I'm actually placing it--so it just says "Geocache" all over the place. :angry:

Surely you can't be serious.

Back on topic. I scout the location first, then return later with an appropriate cache on another trip. No need to bring anything but the cache itself and the GPS.

Surely you can't be serious.

I've never seen Animal House either, but I have seen Airplane, when it came out...

And don't call me Shirley.

As for the topic, I don't have a lot of caches placed (5--3 are archived... micros were more maintenance than my regulars and went missing), but when I do place them, I find the park first, then take a full container with me and find a place for it, mark it, come up with a name, and write it on the container (if I think of one). But it does seem you're taking a lot of stuff, however with some of that stuff you can come up with quite a unique hide if you end up using all of those tools. ;)

I often wondered why people write the coordinates on the container.  I mean I'm there, I know the coordinates.  As far as the name, I usually don't think of it until I'm sitting in front of the keyboard  submitting the cache.

I just placed my first and I wrote the coordinates on it. Why, because I was told to.

From "Placing your first Geocache"

Once you have your waypoint, write it in permanent marker on the container, the log book, and make sure you have a copy to bring back with you. Write a few notes in the log book if you like, place it in a zip-loc baggie, and place it in the container. Make sure to secure the container with a rock, etc, to decrease the chance of it blowing, floating, or being carried away.

I myself said, why do I have to write the coordinates on the cache. If you found it, well you know them already. But I assumed that its on geocaching.com for a reason, and i can follow instruction when i have to. ;)