Need Help

ra87

Your GPSr coordinate format is set to DMS (degrees, minutes, seconds), and you are trying to enter coordinates in degrees, decimal minutes. You can't enter numbers larger than 5, because there are only 59 seconds max, so you need to change it to display your coords in the decimal minute format (DDD MM.MMM). Your manual should explain how to change the setting...

Good luck!

:blink:

"Bassmedic"

ra87

Being you are only getting what looks like 5 digits or 4 with a decimal and possibly a space somewhere, I think you are in the “waypoint label”.

Depending on model, some have a button labeled “MARK” on the case, others, you need to go to “main menu screen” and look for the icon “MARK” and highlight it. Press your enter button to activate it. This should give you an icon and #, and also coords. somewhere on your screen. Depending on your “position format” you should see something like what is displayed on the cache pages ( N 42°58.142 W077°22.123 or N42°58’08.5” W077°44’47.9) . Also, check my response to your other question in regards your format problem. Hope this helps, and don’t forget to read your manual. SF1

I understood but my format is in ddd mmm ss.s'' here i will write the whole thing

Postition Frmt: hddd mm'ss.s"

Map Datum : WGS 84

UNITS: Statute

North Ref: Magnetic

Variance: 002(degrees) W

Tell me if I have to change anything  :blink:

I understood but my format is in ddd mmm ss.s'' here i will write the whole thing

Postition Frmt: hddd mm'ss.s

Change this format to the one above it on the unit "hddd mm.mmm"

Edited by Cachengrab

Postition Frmt: hddd mm'ss.s"

Map Datum : WGS 84

UNITS: Statute

North Ref: Magnetic

Variance: 002(degrees) W

Tell me if I have to change anything  :blink:

Change your format to hddd'mm.mmmm', do not use the format with the s's , that should work.

It should display your coord as N42°77.142 x W077°44.798 , also which etrax model do you have. SF1

I have one more question I have a travel bug and I did the "sign up" thing for it so i m good. You can add jobs and stuff like that but other than that what is the purpose of the travel bug..

<I think it cools really cool thats y i bought from the 'net LoL>

I see you've activated your TB successfully. Now, attach it to an object... interesting, but not too cute or expensive -- otherwise it risks getting stolen. Then edit the bug page to give it a goal, like to visit a city that you always wanted to visit, or to visit caches that are associated with a hobby of yours, etc. Then print out the goal sheet (see the link at the top right of the TB page), and attach it to your bug, either by laminating it or just folding the paper and placing it in a sturdy ziploc bag with the TB. Drop off your TB when you find your first geocache. Someone else will pick it up and move it along to another cache. You will get an e-mail to update you on each step of its journey.

If you have other questions, search around in the Travel Bug forum or post a new topic there. Have fun.

i was just curious... i didn't do that.. well i have another question i know where is my cache is and i m goin to do that for sure what do i have to do... do i have to log do something and tell that i m going there or should i just go there put my "gift" come back and upgrade the cache?

We'll help but you have to give us a chance - this is a discussion forum, not a live chat.

Choosing the spot is important. There's plenty of guidelines to read up on, but watch out for active rail lines, National Parks, commercial businesses, etc. Reviewers don't like caches near any of those. Read the guidelines thoroughly.

When you place a cache, try to get the best possible coordinates for the cache itself. Some people take multiple readings and average them - but that's not really necessary. Just hope that you have a clear view of the sky, and maybe let the unit sit down on the cache site for a while. The regular etrex doesn't have position averaging, so it's just a matter of when you "feel" it's been there and most likely has good coordinates. In most instances that will be enough. Mark a waypoint and head home.

At home in front of the computer, use the online form to fill in as much detail as you care to about the cache. Remember - it's not an essay contest. Maybe a little bit about the area is nice, but it's not required.

If you're having trouble figuring out how to rate the terrain and difficulty of the cache, use Clayjar's Rating System to give you a ballpark of what the standards are. Use your own discretion though and make sure it fits the cache. One thing that some people are hesitant to do: if it's not handicapped accessible (whatever that means), it should be at least a stargreen.gifhalfstargreen.gif for the terrain.

If there's any special information that you need the reviewer to know about your cache (for example, there's inactive railroads nearby that were converted to trails), make sure to put it in the note to the reviewer area of the form.

Submit the information and be patient. A local reviewer will be taking a look at the cache sometime soon - but remember that they are volunteers, and they have a family life as well, especially around the holidays.

Once your cache is listed (and you'll be notified when it is), you don't need to "watch" the cache. Any time anyone logs the cache page with a note, a "did not find" a "should be archived" or the best: a "Found it" - you'll automatically get an e-mail.

Nothing beats the message in your inbox: [Owner] Joe Cacher found your cache "Cool Spot for a Box" :D:D;)

Now - this is off the record. Many people find that finding several caches before placing your first one GREATLY improves the quality of a your first placement. It's not REQUIRED, but it's a good suggestion.

Thank you so much. I realized that you are from chicago and so am I. I live in Naperville and I am doing this for a school project which i choose the topic. Our teacher talked about in the class and got my attention I took my g/f to the coordinates but I didn't realized that it was dd mm ss' so i didn't have a lot of fun now i know what i am doing. This will be a great experience, and again thank you so much for your help. I will try to find the cache on X-mas eve ;)

Markwell, I think he was asking for advice on *finding* a cache, not hiding one. I could be wrong. But if I am right:

1. You don't need to post anything to the cache page before you find the cache.

2. Find the cache, sign the logbook and trade items fairly.

3. Come home and log a "found it" log on the cache page, telling about your adventure and maybe mentioning the items you took and left.

You can read more details in the Guide to Finding a Cache and in Thot's Beginner Geocaching Page. There's links to these resources in the FAQ topic that's pinned at the top of this forum.

Ooops. icon_smile_blush.gif

Seeings as you're from Naperville and I'm in Plainfield, I hope you'll forgive me. Husky or Redhawk? And more importantly, who was your teacher?!? That's a pretty cool one to talk about this.

Once the weather warms up a little - this gets really fun.

Keystone answered your question better than I. If you want to talk about caching more, feel free to e-mail me through the site and we can take this local conversation out of the forums.