Benchmark Icons On Garmin 60c?

orome

My wife and I are interested in benchmarking and have downloaded a file to that effect for ones near us.

However, in the transition from the geocaching website to my 60C, they show up as unfound geocaches. I'd prefer that they have the built-in benchmark icon instead, to differentiate - but MapSource and GSAK haven't obliged so far.

If you can point me in the right direction on this, I'd sure appreciate it.

orome,

I don't use the programs you refer to, so my suggestion may be just something that makes work for you. I have been just using the standard waypoint icon in my GPS, though I have emailed Garmin and asked them to consider developing a survey mark icon. In fact I need to email them again, as I have not seen the new icon , so maybe we should all email them and bug them for a survey marker Icon in droves so they will get it done. The Magellan users should do the same.

When I use the waypoint icon, I can name the waypoint. I usually use the NGS PID for the station. AA1234, ZZ5678... This way it corresponds with the data on Geocaching or NGS, and fits well in the space provided by the GPS.

Hopefully someone here knows the programs you are using well and can help you alter a setting, but that scheme works well for me.

Rob

I notice that Garmin has a beta version of MapSource 6.5 available for download, and one of its new features is the ability to have custom waypoint icons. That means that both the GPSr and MapSource will be able to display custom icons, but I don't know if they can exchange them so that a custom icon defined for MapSource will be loaded into the GPSr or vice versa.

So far I've been using different color pins and other icons to represent stations I've visited, found, not found, need a revisit, whether someone else didn't found them, or if significant digging is required. Just as Rob does, I name the waypoint with the PID, and then I carry along a notebook with the current datasheets.

Here's where it gets confusing. GSAK 5.0.1 build 10 seems to have a specific Benchmark icon listed. From that, I guess I assumed that the 60C and MapSource 6.3 had it. (FWIW, I have the latest updates on my 60C installed.)

I'm perfectly fine using any unique (and preferably smaller, like the toll-booth) symbol for benchmarks, as long as that will carry across all three. GSAK seems to be able to map icons to take this into account, but it's unclear exactly how that works.

I'll check out MS 6.5 to see what goodies it offers over my current one.

Thanks to everyone for the most handy tips so far!

Update:

I've got MS 6.5 beta running, and the bulk waypoint properties option makes changing these a breeze.

However, many of the ones that would work for me visually come into the 60C for some reason as "small city" (a dot), so I've decided that's my new benchmark indicator. :blink:

Now to check how GSAK handles 'em - hm, same deal, the [?] import that I'm getting for many. Maybe that's my problem and I should check into EasyGPS.

Thanks again, gang!