Who Is Watching This?

Brad The Great

I've sometimes wondered if the reviewers like to watch caches they approve that they aren't sure of. On a side note, I don't think you are included in the people watching your own cache.

** edit **

Oh, and you could always post a note to the cache page, and ask who is watching it

Edited by ibycus

This subject has got to be in the top five list of frequently requested features for the website. As such, the forum search engine is a powerful tool. Here is the most recent post from Jeremy on this topic:

The long and short of it is that a lot of people who watch caches don't want to be known, and since that feature was not available in the past many people would be upset if it was available now.

The verdict during the last debate is that it would be more acceptable for the owner of a listing to see who is watching their cache, but not allow random accounts that ability.

Personally, I don't think it is really necessary to know, and gives an air of mystery to it all. If you think someone is watching your cache with sinister intent, we can find out who is watching it and investigate on our end.

This subject has got to be in the top five list of frequently requested features for the website. As such, the forum search engine is a powerful tool. Here is the most recent post from Jeremy on this topic:

The long and short of it is that a lot of people who watch caches don't want to be known, and since that feature was not available in the past many people would be upset if it was available now.

The verdict during the last debate is that it would be more acceptable for the owner of a listing to see who is watching their cache, but not allow random accounts that ability.

Personally, I don't think it is really necessary to know, and gives an air of mystery to it all. If you think someone is watching your cache with sinister intent, we can find out who is watching it and investigate on our end.

I'm not sure if anyone ever made this case...

Let the person who is watching either "Display or not" their watching to the cache owner.

I have a cache out there and I noticed that 3 people are watching it.  I assume I am one of them but who would the other 2 be?  Just curious people?

Brad

Geocaching doesn't wish to tell who is watching your cache, but there is an alternative that may shed some light on it.

If you are a premium member then you can make the cache "Members Only" and see a list of all cachers who look at the cache page. It does NOT tell who is watching though.

You don't need to be a premium member to make the cache "Members Only" just a premium member to see the cache page!

There have been a few who made their caches "Members Only' only to find out they could not see their own cache.

People who found the cache and wish to keep track of the trade item they left or maybe to see if another cacher they know finds the cache. It may be someone who likes your caches and just wants to know how well it is doing. There are many reasons people watch a cache.

John

I have a cache out there and I noticed that 3 people are watching it.  I assume I am one of them but who would the other 2 be?  Just curious people?

Brad

Geocaching doesn't wish to tell who is watching your cache, but there is an alternative that may shed some light on it.

If you are a premium member then you can make the cache "Members Only" and see a list of all cachers who look at the cache page. It does NOT tell who is watching though.

You don't need to be a premium member to make the cache "Members Only" just a premium member to see the cache page!

There have been a few who made their caches "Members Only' only to find out they could not see their own cache.

People who found the cache and wish to keep track of the trade item they left or maybe to see if another cacher they know finds the cache. It may be someone who likes your caches and just wants to know how well it is doing. There are many reasons people watch a cache.

John

It also doesn't tell you who "watches" the cache through Pocket Querries.

The only time I've heard of a cache owner not being able to view his own Members Only cache was when they made the cache MO as a Premium Member, then let their membership expire.

Why should the backdoor be the best option?

I enjoy watching caches to see how locals did and who is passing through. If anyone posted a note asking who's watching, I be happy to tell them.

I guess we should be suspicious of people who watch caches. Of course they could never just read the cache page itself. :blink:

:blink:

I'm watching you and your cache... just don't turn on the light!

Phone rings....young girl answers the phone...

Deep and sinster voice:"Have you checked your cache?"

No really, a friend of my friend told me this happens all the time. It's some guy in the Northwest. Someone named Jer....something.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Phone rings....young girl answers the phone...

Deep and sinster voice:"Have you checked your cache?"

The call is traced, and it's coming from INSIDE the cache!!!!!

I watch caches that have my bugs in them to see if someone mentions picking them up but doesn't log them, or if they seem to be missing.

Under new laws by the government Homeland Security Dept., the feds can watch caches placed by anyone considered subversive, radical, or just an all-around scoundrel. I've noticed all my caches are being watched. But I found a way to defeat them, I've wrapped my house in mylar and when I go out I wear a hat and socks made of aluminum foil. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I will watch a cache if it is interesting. It is fun to read the logs of those have found it. When I see others are watching one of my caches, I am flattered. That person may have any reason but I am flattered just the same. As to their identity, I couldn't care less.

I tend to watch caches that I DNF. Nothing sinister there, just wanna know if I should bother going back and *really* searching for it [:unsure:] ... I also watch caches that I've been asked to temporarily maintain by an owner that is leaving the area for a while. Do I care if the owner knows I'm watching? Not really. Would I go out of my way to check a box to allow the owner to know that I'm watching? Not really. Do I care who and why is watching my caches? Not enough to ask for this debate.

Since I'm rather new to this, I've put nearby caches onto my watchlist (to see who visits, and what they've left - in case a cool TB shows up), and always my DNFs, and I'm still adding the ones I've found to my watchlist so I can "revisit" the online log when someone new adds a post.

I suppose I'll begin to remove the caches I've found when I start to gather a few more (I'm at 9 found), but those are my reasons, since you asked!

--Marc

December 27, 2004 @ 4:48pm

N40°46.650' W073°58.368'

Under new laws by the government Homeland Security Dept.,  the feds can watch caches placed by anyone considered subversive, radical, or just an all-around scoundrel.  I've noticed all my caches are being watched.    But I found a way to defeat them, I've wrapped my house in mylar and when I go out  I wear a hat and socks made of aluminum foil.    :unsure:

Seriously though,  I will watch a cache if it is interesting.  It is fun to read the logs of those have found it.  When I see others are watching one of my caches, I am flattered.  That person may have any reason but I am flattered just the same.  As to their identity,  I couldn't care less.

Ahh... I see we got you fooled too!

The Aluminum Foil only AMPLIFIES the signal making it easier for us to read your mind. If you want to block us out you have to use....<censored by Homeland Security>.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
Keystone approver quoted Jeremy as saying:

Personally, I don't think it is really necessary to know, and gives an air of mystery to it all.

I agree.

I also agree but if you must know. Try posting a note on your cache page asking the people watching your cache to e-mail you. Those watching will be emailed the note. If they don’t mind identifying themselves they will contact you if not then they want to remain anonymous.

Who cares if someone is watching? They don't have access to any information that anyone else can't see by viewing the cache logs--they just get it by e-mail.

I watch caches where I have logged a DNF to see if those who come after me have better luck, or if the owner posts a note.

I watch caches that I thought were very challenging, or great fun, because I want to see how other people react.

I watch caches were I included a message to the owner in my log, in order to receive a response (if any).

But most of all--I watch caches belonging to people who are paranoid about people watching their caches. :)

OT: Although curious, I normally consider it flattering that folks are watching my caches. It doesn't really matter who they are.

Tangent conversation: My most watched cache is the Bug Depot. 11 watchers, which is high for this area. Next is the "Picky Moose" with 7 watchers. I think everyone who has done that one watches it to see how other folks did. The other have 0-3 watchers.