Downloading Entire Cache Series To Gps

horsegeeks

We own a Garmin 60C, City-Select 6, and use GSAK to organize and download the waypoints to the 60C. My problem is when there is a series of caches, for example the Dalmation series in Nashville, only a few of them are actually transferred to the GPS because of the similarity of the names. I have tried transferring them both by City-Select and from GSAK itself. I've increased the size of the name that is downloaded but to no avail. I have just lived with it up to this point but now would like to solve the problem. Thanks very much for any advice.

I'm wagering you have GSAK set up incorrectly.

%smart and max waypoint length need to match. If you have %smart set to ten and waypoint length set to 8, the last two characters (that keep the repetitively named caches unique) get truncated.

I have %smart=30 and maximum characters right under it set to 30 also. 30 is way too much I know but I was just experimenting

I'm wagering you have GSAK set up incorrectly.

%smart and max waypoint length need to match.  If you have %smart set to ten and waypoint length set to 8, the last two characters (that keep the repetitively named caches unique) get truncated.

I have %smart=30 and maximum characters right under it set to 30 also. 30 is way too much I know but I was just experimenting

You also need to set the length to something that is no longer than what your GPS will support. In this case, I think the GPS is doing the truncation. Count the number of characters your GPS is showing and set both to that length.

--Marky

The correct answer for the 60 is "ten" as that's all they'll hold.

You told GSAK to generate names unique to 30 characters so it would have sent names to your unit like "dalmatianseespotrunlitternu10" and "dalmatianseespotrunlitternu11" Your GPS gets these, throws away all but the first ten, sees you that 'obviously' meant to overwrite the first "dalmatians" with the second one you sent it and tosses it.

This is a common enough configuration mistake that I've considered making GPSBabel catch this and "fix" the names on the way through. (Of course, then the reported problem will be "why does it screw up the names" instead of "why does it lose some of the waypoints" but somehow that seems better.)

Yes, smart name length should always be set to no more that the maximum lenght your GPS will accept. In the case of the 60c the correct syntax would be %smart=10

GSAK will then makes sure it generates unique waypoints 10 characters long and you won't loose any when sending down to your GPSr.

That's great Clyde. You'd think if you could provide longer names Garmin could too. You've got a great application that we love to use.

Garmin's GPS V will hold something like 15 or 16 characters for the waypoint name. Wonder why they cut it back to 10 for the newer, more memory, units like the 60c and 76c.????

Olar