Just Ordered My First Gps

alex&mack

After much research in here, and around many sites, I decided on the Legend. It should arrive tomorrow, but has to go under the tree until xmas morning. Would it be bad form to bolt out the door before the wife and kids finish opening all their gifts xmas morning? :)

Anyway, thanks for all the usefull information I got in here, and we are all excited to get started looking for caches :(

Would it be bad form to bolt out the door before the wife and kids finish opening all their gifts xmas morning? ;)

I don't understand the question - why would you do anything else? :)

You'll never get a geo-addict, er, I mean geocacher, to tell you that anything should take priority over caching. :(

I also have my first GPS under the tree-I'm getting the Legend also,but I can't really use it till the day after,gotta work that night-12 LONG HOURS-only 5 more days left,can't wait.Merry Christmas to ya.

After much research in here, and around many sites, I decided on the Legend. It should arrive tomorrow, but has to go under the tree until xmas morning

If you go to Walmart, they have replica GPS's on their display. They look just like the real GPS, but there are no internals. Steal one (you're gonna need bolt cutters to snip the cable). Then carefully unwrap your present, remove the GPS and replace it with the replica. You're now set for geocaching and you have something to unwrap Christmas morning.

Just started also. Ordered my Sporttrak Color for xmas. Lucky me my wife and kids went out of town to her family for Xmas. I had to stay home and work. We opened our gifts last weekend.

So I'm already having fun with my GPS. It must suck to have to wait till Sat.

Some good ideas there, folks, on sneaking it out..... The order got delayed a day, so it won't be here until tomorrow, so the torture will be less. My wife will be home to get it from the courier, and she has already said that she is hiding it so that I can't even look at the box......

She knows me too well....... :blink:

I have already downloaded a bunch of waypoints into GSAK, and am gettimg my palm pilot ready, so I can hit the ground running..... :blink:

My legend is sitting 5' from me right now. It has not been wrapped yet and it is killing me knowing I can't use it until Saturday. I still have the gps I borrowed from a friend and used it today to find 2 caches while Christmas shopping. It's just not the same using a borrowed one. I can't wait. I just wish it wasn't in a plastic box that you have to cut into to get it out or at least it would have some coordinates punched in already.

Only two more sleeps then you can go and play!!!!

Enjoy using your own GPSr and welcome to the community of individuals whose hands are permanently formed into a configuration suitable for clutching a GPSr.

Wishing you and yours everything you wish yourselves for the coming year and hope you at least spend a few minutes with your family on Christmas Day before deserting them all to go caching!

It's 23rd December here as I write this - looks like you still have THREE sleeps!!!! :angry:

Edited by Azaruk

I got my first GPS for my birthday Dec 11th. Then a couple of days later my wife gave me the book "GEOcaching for Idiots" as an after thought, where I found the website for this cult, er.... "club"

And now she wonders why I'll be in Afghanistan during Christmas? (We live in Long Island, NY) Sheesh!!! Doesn't "Bagram Bug Box" mean ANYTHING to you??!?

I mean, if that's not an obvious, logical consequence of her own actions, what is?

New to this also. Ordered a 60CS for hubby for Christmas, signed up new email account, Geocache acct, created blog page, etc. - relevant data printed in notebook to hand to him after he opens his GPS. Various 'stuff' - Gecaching cache stickers, lapel pins, patches, tatoos, TBs, notebooks, pencils, sharpeners, ziplock bags, etc., etc., to create our own caches eventually - all in another box under the tree marked "For Family". Hope he's happy with it! I know I'm excited to start a new family pastime!

New to this also. Ordered a 60CS for hubby for Christmas, signed up new email account, Geocache acct, created blog page, etc. - relevant data printed in notebook to hand to him after he opens his GPS. Various 'stuff' - Gecaching cache stickers, lapel pins, patches, tatoos, TBs, notebooks, pencils, sharpeners, ziplock bags, etc., etc., to create our own caches eventually - all in another box under the tree marked "For Family". Hope he's happy with it! I know I'm excited to start a new family pastime!

That's a great idea! "Ya done good!"

<_<

My Legend c was an early Christmas, like way early, try DEC 1st.

Of course we had to get the map set also.

But I feel sorry for you people that got hit with all that snow.

Sure would be a bummer hunting in that stuff.

Better get some plane tickets and head down here for some fun in the sun! Lot of caches here!

78 degrees now

Honest John & suzies Jule

I'm getting a Legand in the morning as well. Can't wait! I have already found three caches, but did not log them as I did not use the GPSr. Will start on new one's tomorrow as soon as everyone else has finished opening gifts. I already have Signal :P for the truck antenna, GPS sticker, and license frame. Will put them on tomorrow as soon as I am official! Merry Christmas to anyone who is still up!!

Santa (through FedEx) just gave me my Legend earlier today. I spent all of our Christmas eve dinner poking buttons on it and making it do things. I don't know what I was making it do, but it sure was doing them!

I want to go find boxes with things in them now. It's also 3am, so maybe I'll wait until it's light outside.

I'm pretty sure the Legend will be better than our car GPS / PDA monstrosity that we've been using up till now. That was misery, those things aren't meant to be used under any kind of tree cover or out on the trail!

I'm getting a Legand in the morning as well. Can't wait! I have already found three caches, but did not log them as I did not use the GPSr.

you can log the cache whether or not you used a GPS or not! there are a few folks who have found all of their caches without one, so go ahead and log 'em!

Finally back from visiting relatives over the holiday's! Don't they realize they were cutting into valuable caching time??? :D

Anyway, just completed my first find!! Woohoo!! Didn't have alot of time, have company coming over this afternoon...... :D

Oh Well, back to it tomorrow...... :D

This sport is like crack..... just need one hit, and you are hooked :)