How Do You Clean Your Ammo Cans?

I searched the forums, and couldn't turn anything up so I bring my question to you, good and helpful geocachers of the world.

I bought a few ammo cans and a decon container for caches, the all have some brown crusty stuff in them, mostly dirt as far as I can tell.

What I want to know is how you clean your containers before placement.

Soap and water, and a washcloth, brillo pad, sponge?

Any special solutions or materials to share?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Navel jelly on the rusted areas. Hose it off after an hour or so.

Hard wire (wheel) that fits in a hand-held power drill. (Saves A LOT on effort) This gets off most loose paint and then some.

A couple good coatings of Rust-Oleum 'Rusty Metal' Primer (Brown). Let it dry a couple days (or more).

Rust-Oleum Green paint.

Give it several days to cure into a hard shell.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sounds like some folks go through a lot of effort to prepare a cache container! They do make it nice when you find one where the hider went through the effort to make it pretty.

Topic shift: Have you seen the tupperware containers after someone has tried to cammo it? The ones we find in the desert aren't too pretty after a couple weeks of 120+ temperatures.

Edit: remove redundancy.

Edited by Moose Mob

Start at the surplus store, all ammo cans are not equal. I pick throught the pallet and select the cleanest, rust free cans. Next check the seal, I have seen the seal in conditions ranging from bad to completly missing. Open and close the can a few times to make sure it isn't bent or warped.

After that soap and water do the trick. Living in the desert I don't worry about a little surface rust on the outside. I also don't prime the flat OD is primer enough.

I've never had to clean one (yet). The few that I have purchased were from a dept. store so they were very clean. I did paint over the ammo description on the side of the box. Had I needed to... I would have taken a wire brush and soap and water to the box. The dish washer (already mentioned) is a good idea as well.

I've never had to clean one (yet). The few that I have purchased were from a dept. store so they were very clean. I did paint over the ammo description on the side of the box. Had I needed to... I would have taken a wire brush and soap and water to the box. The dish washer (already mentioned) is a good idea as well.

Dude get thee to an Army Navy store! Besides the standard ammo cans they have all kinds of nifty stuff.

My local source for ammo cans seems to thing that they should be oiled. So I start with a good wipe down with acetone. This if followed by what every cleaning to remove tape and other stuff from the surfaces. After that it is usually a quick sanding of the entire surface that I will be painting, I do not try to remove any markings. If there is rust I do wire brush and sand it off. This is followed by an undercoat paint (both inside and outside of the can) as needed. I remove the lid for the painting. I use these cans for things beyond geocaches so once they are primered I will make any modification to the can and once again if there is bare metal I reprime the exposed metal. I then base coat and paint as needed, camo for caches and other depending on what for. If the can has been sitting around a while I usually give it a wipe down with acetone before painting, I do not worry too much about dust and don’t use a tack cloth.

And as always your milage will vary. <_<