Make Sure That Is The Right Ammo Can!

woggs1

Yes. And old TNT is very scary:

Dynamite (also called TNT) is nitroglycerin stabilized in charcoal or another absorbent. Dynamite that goes through changes of temperature over a fairly long period of time "sweats" pure nitroglycerine crystals. Dynamite in this state appears shiny, not waxy as is normal.

Dynamite (also called TNT) is nitroglycerin stabilized in charcoal or another absorbent. Dynamite that goes through changes of temperature over a fairly long period of time "sweats" pure nitroglycerine crystals. Dynamite in this state appears shiny, not waxy as is normal.

If you are close enough to see crystals on the surface, you are WAY TOO CLOSE!

Disturbing. Glad no one was hurt.

My guess is that it probably goes back to the radical times we had in the '70s," said Weiss, who has lived in his house since 1976 and remembers how hippies and radicals used to commune around the nearby Panoramic Highway. "It's an isolated, woodsy area. Maybe somebody buried it with the intent to use it later."

Oh sure blame it on the hippies! ;) He was probably a "living under the glitter dome, wipin his upper lip wearin' a leisure suit" in his 70's. :):(

It is OK to personally attack someone who isn't a forum participant, right? :)

:)

I have been in the munitions career field for almost 12 years. I have had the misfortune of opening up a container of this stuff when it was crystalized. You realize very quickly that this is a bad place to be Just the odor is enough to make you very ill. If it touches bare skin your heart begins to race and instant headache.

Good thing the finder left it alone. There was endless list of bad outcomes..

:)

I have been in the munitions career field for almost 12 years.  I have had the misfortune of opening up a container of this stuff when it was crystalized.  You realize very quickly that this is a bad place to be  Just the odor is enough  to make you very ill.  If it touches bare skin your heart begins to race and instant headache.

However if you were having chest pains, they would have gone away within seconds...

But those nitro headaches are something!!

A few years ago at a town down the road from the the local Army base, they (not sure if the squad was from the base or the RCMP) removed a live 105mm round from someones home. They had painted it blue and had been using it as a door-stop for years.

Anyone in the Army knows the rules about removing "brass" or munitions from base, but still civilians sometimes don't see the dangers. That stuff can "cook-off" on it's own!

Be careful when finding anything that looks old and it just reinforces the idea that we should label any game pieces we leave in the woods for our own sake as well as everyone else's.

Way back when, I was working a cat side with my dad in the McKenzie River drainage when we found an old yarder sled with a powder shack sitting on it. This funny yellow stuff was leaking out the side of the flooring. Looking inside, there where a several dozen old powder boxes stacked inside.

Seeing as we where making slash piles, we just heaped a bunch of brush alongside it and lit a fire and watched all the pretty colors.

It seems as there where a lot of those old sheds scattered through out the hills. Some empty, some not.

Logscaler.

They had painted it blue and had been using it as a door-stop for years.

Different munitions are color coded for diffrent reasons. Blue is normally inert or empty. However, anyone with a can of paint can change the colors.

If you are not fimiliar with the items you find get a waypoint and notify the police. Be sure not to be standing close by when you try using a cell phone or radio. They can cause things to go BOOM!

best advice I can give is get away.... Far far away.

This was in my neck of the woods, as a mater of fact I was doing maintance on a cache of mile a few miles away when I heard some of the police traffic on my scanner, then the bomb squad truck passed me a few minutes later.

BTW Nitroglycerin and TNT (Trinitroluene)are not the same thing

and comercial Dynomite and Military Dynomite are not the same

TNT less sensitive to than Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin will detonate by droping a 2 kilogram weight from 10-12 centimeters (4-5 inches)

TNT will detonate by droping a 2 kilogram weight from 14 inches

My guess is that it probably goes back to the radical times we had in the '70s," said Weiss, who has lived in his house since 1976 and remembers how hippies and radicals used to commune around the nearby Panoramic Highway. "It's an isolated, woodsy area. Maybe somebody buried it with the intent to use it later."

Oh sure blame it on the hippies! <_< He was probably a "living under the glitter dome, wipin his upper lip wearin' a leisure suit" in his 70's. :huh::huh:

It is OK to personally attack someone who isn't a forum participant, right? <_<

The hippies were long gone by 1976, I have lived in the area for 50 years.

Oh sure blame it on the hippies! <_< He was probably a "living under the glitter dome, wipin his upper lip wearin' a leisure suit" in his 70's. :huh::huh:

It is OK to personally attack someone who isn't a forum participant, right? <_<

The hippies were long gone by 1976, I have lived in the area for 50 years.

The hippies just kind of melted into the economy, but be careful, we're still here watching.

You arent kidding, when I was still a paramedic, we had a call where someone had blown off most of her hand. Apparently she thought it was a candle.

Her words when we came in " I lit a candle & it blew up!"

After the usual "WHAT" questions, my partner and I started bandaguing her up and packing the fingers we found for transport. One of the police officers asked her if hse had any more of theese "candles". She points into the next room, he goes in, comes out about 1 minute later, white as a sheet and tells us "I don't care what youre doing or if she's bleeding to death, theres a box with about 10 sticks of sweaty dynamite in there and everyone needs to leave NOW".

Needless to say, we grabbed the patient and left as fast as we could.

The hospital did not manage to save any of the fingers, and let us know that she was definately a conissour of several drugs.