Winter geocaching ?

Guest maxxer

We started geocaching in August of this summer. After finding a few & having a blast, we planted our first a few weeks ago.

We are currently in the process of planning our next hide of a cache. Being that we're up here where we have the potential to get some serious snow cover, I'm looking for tips/ideas on planting a cache that will still be fun to hunt in these upcoming months.

Anyone ever do any suspended caches? I haven't seen any in our area and wonder if this is a good/bad idea. Any other ideas?

Any input would be appreciated.

Also wondering if it really puts a damper on finding caches if it's been hunted since last snowfall and tracks could lead ya right to it.

Thanks all,

Kathy (Maxxer)

Guest Moun10Bike

A buddy of mine and I have been talking about creating some snowmobiling caches this winter, and we were also thinking of the suspended idea. Basically, we would tie an ammo can in a tree way out in the backcountry that is most easily accessed in the winter on snowmobiles. The cache would still be there in summer, but about 10-15 feet higher and WELL off any nearby road or trail. Like you, we were wondering if such a cache would be fun for people to hunt, especially given that we likely would be severely limiting the audience.

I'd love to hear of other ideas for winter caches, too.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/114F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

We also snowmobile and were thinking it would be cool to combine it with geocaching. Like we don't already have enough fun with each on it's own...

I didn't even consider the fact that we'd either have to wait until it snows to bring up the level of where a suspended cache would not be at eye level...or lug a ladder with us pre-snow. =P

*think*think*think*

Guest Reservoir Dog

re most of the slopes "blue?"

Wow!!! GeoCaching on ski slopes. What a great idea. Can you spell "SNOW PROBE?" Sometimes I amaze myself.

I will buy a steak dinner for the first person that hides a cache somewhere on the slopes of Grand Targhee, Wyoming...if I'm the first person to find it.

Great idea!

rd.gif

Guest gstrong1

We've got a few suspended caches up here in NY that work out rather well .The cache owners just headed to the cache location with the ammo box & a length of fairly good sized rope. Found a tree off the beaten path & brought something along to tie to one end of the rope that had a little weight to it. Toss the weight up around a higher limb, near the main body of the tree, & lower the weight down & grab it. Take off the weight, tie the rope good to the ammo box handle, & hoist it up. Tie the other end around a lower branch that can be reached by potential cache hunters & hide the excess rope under some bark or dead branches or whatever. If the rope is brown, green or any color that comes close to blending in with the tree, you'll never know it's there unless you're looking for it. Cacher finds it, lowers it down, does his/her thing & hoists it back up.Really works great & the odds are good that no animal will ever plunder the cache.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest ClayJar

Yeah, south. We get a whole lot of snow here in Baton Rouge... of course it's already melted and they call it the Mississippi River. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 18 October 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Yeah, south. We get a whole lot of snow here in Baton Rouge... of course it's already melted and they call it the Mississippi River. icon_wink.gif

Guest Prime Suspect

This thread reminds me of that scene in "Fargo", where Carl (Steve Buscemi) hides the money in the snow along side a road. There's nothing but miles of identical fenceposts in either direction. So he sticks an ice scraper in the snow as a marker, believing he'll actually be able to find it again.

Guest seadog16yrs

I just hid my first cache (Bunk-er Hill in central VT) in a place that I knew was a popular destination for hikers, mountain bikers, 4wd's, atv's, and snowmobiles. I hid the cache in the crook of a tree that was fairly easy to climb. Wish I had read this thread before I hid it. I like the rope idea!

Guest spiny norman

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Don't eat the brown snow!

Guest spiny norman

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Don't eat the brown snow!

So the general concesus (from those familiar with snow) here is that a suspended one just may work. We'll give it a try.

As for all you Southern Folk...you haven't lived until you lived through the seasons of New England! =P

I don't think I could ever move away from the beauty of it. I may say differently on this board come Febrrrrrruary! But not right now when I think about skiing, snowmobiling, building snowmen, making Angels, catching snow flakes on my tongue, snowball fights, shoveling (?!) er, uh, well that does suck! But how about this...a White Christmas!! ...Oh yeah!...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! icon_smile.gif

So the general concesus (from those familiar with snow) here is that a suspended one just may work. We'll give it a try.

As for all you Southern Folk...you haven't lived until you lived through the seasons of New England! =P

I don't think I could ever move away from the beauty of it. I may say differently on this board come Febrrrrrruary! But not right now when I think about skiing, snowmobiling, building snowmen, making Angels, catching snow flakes on my tongue, snowball fights, shoveling (?!) er, uh, well that does suck! But how about this...a White Christmas!! ...Oh yeah!...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! icon_smile.gif

You know BunkerDave, I have to slap my forehead on this one. I just got back from hunting two caches above PineView and both the country and the day were perfect. I got to thinking about how I was going to miss this when the snow hits until you reminded me of what should have been obvious. There are plenty of caches in that desert, not to mention many down south that I could take in a weekend. Thanks for the reminder and expect to see me out there sometime.

geosign.gif

I am going to set my first one next week at a site that snowmobilers from snowmobileworld.com have been looking for for 2 years now (no coords just boondocking). It is an old dozer left on a 2 track in Michigans UP, still have not finalized the hiding spot yet but will soon. :laughing:

for you winter riders take a look back in a few weeks in the paradise area.