Virtual Cacher

Alibags

He's either a brilliant cacher (I don't think so) or a complete 'saddo' (politely rephrased)

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=a3...2a-8e9d97d8a694

This person has been logging loads of caches yesterday, including some of mine, with the identical log 'been there done that'. I don't think so!

Ah yes, it must be for the huge cash rewards, enormous amount of peer approval he will doubtless soon be getting and the warm glow that comes after hard work. What a .... (insert chosen apposite epithet here) !

Ho Hum! <_<

Not to mention the fact that Bluebell Wood (Bucks) by Jaq (GCFB43) has been archived for a spell and so cant be claimed yesterday at all

The mentality of this sort of jerk makes me think they are at the very least one micro short of a multi ... or even a sandwich short of a picnic.

<_<

Dohh ... dont you hate it when you fug up like that .... Sorry Jaq ,,, Bluebell wood is alive and well ... its your Butterfly Wood thats suspended isnt it <_<

Edited by JollyJax

Some of mine were also virtually visited yesterday and logged, ever so briefly. That's brief as in pants <_< It did cross my mind that these aren't genuine finds but I'll certainly give him, her, them or it the benefit of the doubt until I've checked a couple of logbooks as I pass the caches. Although they were all logged on (and as) the same day they may have been found over the last week or so.

If it turns out these somehow weren't genuine visits I'll just have to put my money where my mouth was on another thread and delete them.

All very odd but it could be worse...

SP

All very odd but it could be worse...

SP

So very true. The Internet on whole is a fragile entity and mechanisms implemented within Groundspeak and geocaching.com have been so far merely lucky. It is only a matter of time before someone not only see the potential but acts upon it to create havoc.

Something springs to mind is a tailored made textual sporg engine with automated insidious methods of account creation which overcome the antispam "visual" mechanisms, leading to a massive distributed attack on geocache logging.

Imagine caches constantly receiving on mass, logs of utter random gibberish from many different bogus accounts.

This person must be Father Christmas <_<

He did about 35 caches in one day (Yesterday) spread over a fair distance.

Seriously though this type of person spoils it for us genuine cachers and should be dealt with accordingly.

What can this person gain from this.

Is it possible to ban them?

I notice Virtualcacher has logged this cache without logging a visit to this cache!

I noticed that too Paul. Since you can't find one without the other, it would seem this sock puppet (perhaps) hasn't been anywhere near Ashridge woods at all! Now, apart from you, me, the Dewdrops and Deego, who else do we know who uses AOL? I'll fetch my deerstalker and magnifying glass...

SP

:) has anyone emailed other owners to warn VC may be fake??,i have looked at stats......never seen there name in any log before.......even if dated all on one day,name should be found somewhere in log..with the real date....stats are going down!!!!!!,no pain no gain.....no find no log!! :(

As I said, I was more than happy to zap this person's logs from my caches, without so much as a backwards glance. I know that people are all different and are motivated in different ways to take up geocaching, but 60 identical logs posted in two days by somebody who even says that they don't exist. I would say that you are all looking for unneccesarily complexity here. Doesn't really make too much difference to my life, quick zap and gone. Done, np! :)

This to me looks like a 'Wind up'. But I am electric so it won't work with me.

Some individual has hooked onto this site and is trying to play a game.

I think we all agree that no way have 'they' managed to do those caches. The owners have only to go check the logs in the cache to check.

It is best to leave it alone and do not give 'them' mileage. Or, in other words reconition. What we are doing here is what 'they' want. :)

if this person wants to do some artwork then why don't they just say so and the logs can be left for a few days to acheive aim then all can be deleted. everyone happy. they are prob someone known to us but want to be annonymous for some reason....

you aint missing much getting turned down by thames valley, been there done that glad to be out of it now. just not how i came to leave! you couldn't be superintendant, you've an opinion and a brain! yes men ooops sorry yes persons only.

Could it be a team effort? If a number of people went caching in different areas and then reported back to the virtual cacher who logged them all under one ID?

Sort of SCI-FI story with drone cachers and an evil Queen Bee? (Whoops - slipped into dangerous sexist area here) Daleks and Davros?

Found a log on one of my caches in Lincolnshire. Looked a bit dodgy.

Iv'e come to see that if something looks dodgy then it usually is. I hadn't read the virtual cacher had been caching, however I deleted his/her log before I actually knew what they were doing.

I bet theyre having a good laugh at us all discussing them in the forums.

Not going to waste time anymore. If youre reading this virtual cacher, don't bother logging any more finds of my caches as they will be deleted.

Maybe I should be honoured that the Virtualcacher has gone to the bother of logging two of my caches. "Easy, been there done it!! TNLN The VC"

Perhaps it's flattering that she has taken her helicopter from Scalpsie Bay on Bute to the top of The Devils Staircase in Glencoe, visiting many others on route too!

However, since her Biography on her profile states "I don't exist, I'm the virtual cacher. My real worry is how do I log a virtual cache!!!!!!!!! " her logs don't exist now either.

Maybe I should be honoured that the Virtualcacher has gone to the bother of logging two of my caches. "Easy, been there done it!! TNLN The VC"

Perhaps it's flattering that she has taken her helicopter from Scalpsie Bay on Bute to the top of The Devils Staircase in Glencoe, visiting many others on route too!

However, since her Biography on her profile states "I don't exist, I'm the virtual cacher. My real worry is how do I log a virtual cache!!!!!!!!! " her logs don't exist now either.

Do we know it's a "she"?

Having been "hit" by this person on a couple of my caches I deleted the logs and e-mailed a question. Of course no reply was forthcoming.

I suggest that cache owners take a similar action if they're bothered by his/her antics. Otherwise he/she is doing no real damage and if that's the way they want to play our game, well so be it. I would expect that the novelty will soon wear off and they'll find something else mindless to occupy themselves.

Treat the whole think as a joke and leave them to their own devices. Continually posting about their exploits will only encourage them.

That's my last word on the subject :blink: