Burried Cache Question

Black Mage

I know that it is against the rules to bury a cache, and I know that you can put a cache into a pre-exhisting hole for it to be recessed. But what if, hypothetically someone put a cache on their own property, then would you be able to specifically dig a hole in which to recess the cache? Or is that somehow against the rules too?

This is just something that I've been wondering about.

I would want to be sure that there was specific approval from the land owner to dig up his property. I would also want it noted that you have to dig for it, because I don't carry a shovel with me caching. Then the land owner needs to be prepared for his property to be completely unearthed. That would be fine inf they were turning over the ground for a new garden or something. <_<

But, this is an answer really for Jeremy to answer. They are the ones that will have to deal with the issues on it.

The first cache I ever visited was buried. It was placed by a local universities geocache club at the top of a bluff, on the universities property. It's basically the same thing as burying a cache on your own property. You give yourself permission to do it. You could always send GC.Com a permission slip from yourself. <_<

I know that it is against the rules to bury a cache, and I know that you can put a cache into a pre-exhisting hole for it to be recessed. But what if, hypothetically someone put a cache on their own property, then would you be able to specifically dig a hole in which to recess the cache? Or is that somehow against the rules too?

This is just something that I've been wondering about.

Read this post for more on the subject. Might have to wade through some of the other posts in that thread to get a better idea. I've been around for a while and still learned something new.

Hope this helps.

The regulation is against making the hole due to the destruction.

However you can bury the cache on your own property because it's your property. Owning the land should be a suitable 'exception' to the rule. Since the rule exists for the sake of land owners who frown upon anyone but squirrels digging on their property and I'm not even sure about the squirrels.

Hmmm...<Thinking>... So next spring, when my wife starts bugging me to till the garden for her, there might just be a new cache listing in my backyard - literally! Cache is buried on private property, with permission of owner. Bring shovel. Coords. only accurate to about 30 ft. so you might need to poke around a bit. It's only buried about 8" deep, so if you don't find it by then, move over a bit, and dig another hole. Avoid the flower beds. It's not in there. <_<