Full Pledged Gps Application?

Highnoon25

I'm looking for a GPS application that has the same functionality of a GPSr. I need it to have a digital compass, waypoint management capabilities, track logging, and speed, elevation and heading displays. 

Does anyone know where I can find an application like that?

I'm assuming to use on a desktop/laptop.

Try Delorme, I have two different programs that may have what you need.

1) is not available as new anymore, it's called Hunt'n'Map -1999, you may be able to find it for sale online or as a second hand.

2) is Streets Atlas , I just started using it, can't give 100% info on it, yet .

You can plot and mark waypoints, it has a digital compass, stores waypoints and routes, when hooked up to the gpsr it will show your heading and speed. They both save your breadcrumb trails that you've made. I used the Hunt'n'Map to plot a walking route in feet and yards, from a cahce descriptions just using distance and bearing. One of them displayed the elevation as well. I'm sure which one as we write. I'll try to get more info on each tomorrow.

Hope this help lead you in the right direction!

SF1

I've looked at Destinator, Copilot, MS Streets 2005 and TomTom. They all seem to be driving oriented GPS applications. Does anyone know if any of them have the features I listed above?

As I suggested, try Mapopolis. It has all the features you mention even though it's mainly an autonavoigation program . It won't trnasfer waypoints from the PPC to a PC but will the other way around using gpxtomaplet. I've used it's GPS page and have found many caches almost as easily as my Vista. WHy don't you try it for free for 9 days and see if you like it.

If you are looking for a PocketPC application, have a look at GPSTuner. This has waypoint management ( partial if not registered - cannot delete or modify ), compass, speed, heading & elevation. It also has tracks but I've never used that function.

I would suggest using it for a while without registering as in my experience it can be frustratingly slow to start and to select waypoints, has limited waypoint capacity and can be ..... fragile. See if it meets your needs before paying. That does sound very negative, but it really isn't bad if you're aware of the limitations.

Edit : http://www.gpstuner.com/

Comments relative to v3.5. v3.6 is available now, so some/all of those areas may have been addressed.

Edited by Roberts-tribe
gbrandon: You don't seem to be a cacher. Are there any cachers out there who have used this product who can provide an assessment?

Just starting out, and Vito Navigator II has been quite useful. The display looks simplistic, but there is more functionality than you'd expect. I used it with GPXsonar and Pocket Streets (MS Streets & Trips) and the trio made a great geocaching suite. I used Pocket Streets to see what caches were nearby. I use GPXsonar to get the details (type, coordinates, difficulty [do I have time and appropriate equipment], etc.). Then used VN2 to get from van to cache. Then logged find in GPXsonar.

I also tried CacheDragon, but it hasn't proved stable yet. I'll need to try it some more, since it may have just been having a "bad hair day." :D It is an all-in-one approach that is very appealing, and maybe I just need to work with a bit more to get it working correctly.