Pocket Query listing missing Cache sites?

IVxIV

I've noticed a lot of cache sites near my home are not showing up in my Pocket Query listings, and I can't figure out why..

The "missing" cache sites are active & very near my home (well within the requested radius), and my query selection is very general, basically asking for 500 cache sites within 60 mile radius of my home that I haven't found yet. A lot of other cache sites that are much further away are showing up no problem.

Anyone else have this problem, or have a suggestion? Thanks icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the reply welch. Yup I'm quite certain I have my home coordinates placed right, as all the returned cache sites do show a distinct pattern "around" my home location. But some fairly nearby caches like this site just refuse to show up, and it's within 25 miles of my home. And I haven't marked it "found" yet..

Any thoughts? icon_confused.gif Thanks

Hello 100 x 100, I am certainly not an expert with pocket querys - I have noticed however, that computers are not the perfect things they are preported to be.

You say your query is to ask for: 1)500 cache sites 2)within 60 miles of a location 3)not reported as found. You also say a cache more than 60 miles away shows up & one less than 60 miles does not. Something not computing here. You might try deleting the query then creating another one with only 1 filter - say within 60 miles. Test that, if ok add another filter, say only those not found by you. If that works, add extra filters one at a time.

Ok. If you have the right center...

Is the PQ full?(500 caches? or less?)

If it was full (btw I think the limit defaults to 100), I would think its picking up outer ones first because that the order the search found them in. Like if you were searching by state/providence instead of in a radius to your home. But that doesn't seem to apply in this case icon_confused.gif

Hey, how do you happen to be viewing these queries anyway??

Yes I'm going to try cutting down the request parameters and see what happens. My only clue as to these missing cache sites is the fact that I was still getting "500 hits" even though I cut back on the radius distance. Perhaps I may have crossed a wire somewhere lol. So you're suggesting the extract algorythm starts by picking cache sites around the rim of the radius & working in? In any event, the only thought I had the area selected had more cache sites than I asked for and it filtered out certain ones to keep in the 500 limit. I've submitted a new query for today that cuts back radius to 50 miles, hopefully that will reveal what's going on. Thx for the input U 2 icon_smile.gif

quote:
Hello 100 x 100

It's pronounced "4 x 4" dude! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Hey, how do you happen to be viewing these queries anyway??

Two ways. I'm downloading them to my PDA using Cachemate, an excellent tool! Also I'm viewing them graphically on MS Streets & Trips by converting the file to .csv format using Utopia software. More cooool toools! icon_cool.gif

But I also confirmed the incoming file really didn't have these sites by browsing the .gpx file directly. Anyway thanks again for the tips. Can't wait to get home tonite & see what the latest download has to offer icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by IVxIV:

Yes I'm going to try cutting down the request parameters and see what happens. My only clue as to these missing cache sites is the fact that I was still getting "500 hits" even though I cut back on the radius distance. Perhaps I may have crossed a wire somewhere lol. So you're suggesting the extract algorythm starts by picking cache sites around the rim of the radius & working in?

No, I would assume a 'distance' search would start at a named point and work out till it either gets to 500 caches, or reaches the radius. But a "all in the state" search runs in a different way. From oldest to newest maybe?? So when it gets to 500caches it just stops, giving you the first 500 it could find not the closest. Ive done this before by mistake, I filled in the zip and distance, but didn't uncheck that area. So I got every cache in Iowa (theres less than 500), not every cache within 100miles (which for me includes parts of WI & IL).

But then again, the PQ doesn't seem to want to create a list of the caches ive found... so maybe it 'should' but just isn't icon_mad.gif

quote:
But I also confirmed the incoming file really didn't have these sites by browsing the .gpx file directly. Anyway thanks again for the tips. Can't wait to get home tonite & see what the latest download has to offer icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif, thats what I was wondering.

Well I cut back the search radius & got my result back today and...

quote:
Ive done this before by mistake, I filled in the zip and distance, but didn't uncheck that area. So I got every cache in Iowa

DOH! That's exactly what I must have been doing wrong. Until now it didn't dawn on me that all my "hits" were ONLY within my province of Ontario, which is big & it turns out contains more than 500 cache sites. Thanks for the tip welch! Geez I feel like such a icon_smile.gif

Sounds to me like they have to put a fix on the query generator so that if you specify a province and a radius based on a coordinate, it should give you all the caches nearest to your coordinates within the radius AND within the province. The coordinate and radius should come first getting nearest to farthest then filtered by province then limited by number of caches.

Ahhhh! My latest query result now looks good, all "missing caches" accounted for! icon_wink.gif

Yes it appears if you choose a selection radius AND a State/Province, the query selector defaults to giving the whole State/Province exclusively, which is why I couldn't figure out why caches well outside my search radius were still showing up. This isn't necessarily a bug, but it would be nice if it worked more like ChiefPig suggests. The current design will result in terminal headscratching to newbies like me icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the helps!

quote:
This isn't necessarily a bug, but it would be nice if it worked more like ChiefPig suggests. The current design will result in terminal headscratching to newbies like me

It actually did, though, exactly what you asked for, right? All caches within 60 miles and within my province?

One thing you may not realize is that you can include multiple provinces/states.

I just created one for all virtuals approved in the last 7 days in all 50 states - by clicking on the first state, holding the shift key down, and then clicking on the last state, so that they are all highlighted.

Can also use CTRL to pick multiple states/provinces.

Gary

YeOleImposter.DoesntExist.com

quote:
It actually did, though, exactly what you asked for, right? All caches within 60 miles and within my province?

Well, no not really. In my "2nd last query" I asked for 500 cache sites within 60 miles of my home within my province (Ontario)..

I wound up with cache sites all over the province including many over 200 miles away, yet some sites within 20 miles of my home did not show up (suggesting it was ignoring my radius restriction). I assume it reached it's 500 limit before including some of my local caches. Just my luck I live in "Southern Ontario" (search starts from the north? lol)

So, yeah perhaps this issue could be considered a bug.. depends on your interpretation.

Weird. I just ran a similar querry for my area and had no problems. I asked for 100 caches within 50 miles and in Washington State. I got back 91 caches, all within 50 miles.

Are you sure you checked the box to make the 'within 60 mile radius' active? I know I have forgotten to do that before.

Anyway, sounds like you got it to work.

YeOleImposter.DoesntExist.com