Firearms

barnabasbenn

In Ca. you pretty much cannot carry a firearm without a permit, that is left up to local Law eforcment and they just do not issue permits. Even if you transport to a range you have to have your gun looked and un loaded.

lets see three edits due to lack of caffine, I need coffee <_<

Edited by JohnnyVegas
I don't believe my hiking staff would be enough.

99.9 percent of the time I believe your hiking staff would do the trick ... I love to hunt and shoot my firearms, however I do not carry one while caching. Caching with a firearm just doesn't appeal to me. Mainly because the risk of being stopped by law enforcement is fairly high in the sport. They catch you with a gun and it gives the sport a black eye (even if you do have a permit). Regarding the need for protection, first of all I'm not afraid of crazies and other paraniod induced mind games. Secondly, if I am attacked by a crazies, it would be a hell of a lot more fun to beat them senseless with a hiking staff than to 'just' shoot them ... however, my first inclination is not to inflict harm but rather 'go in peace'. <_<

In Ca. you pretty much cannot carry a firearm without a permit, that is left up to local Law eforcment and they just do not issue permits. Even if you transport to a range you have to have your gun looked and un loaded.

lets see three edits due to lack of caffine, I need coffee <_<

No "pretty much" about it. In California, you CANNOT carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Doing so is a misdomeaner at best, and a felony at worst.

Concealed weapon permits are issued by your local Law Enforcement entity (Chief or Sherriff). Some Towns and counties are very good aboutr granting permits (rural area especially) while other places are nearly impossible to get a permit granted in.

You have to be able to show a need to carry a concealed weapon. "Because I want to" is rarly an acceptable reason.

To get a concealed weapons permit, you have to take a class, qualify with an acceptable score at a range, and pay several fee. It isn't cheap. It tough to get a permit because it is a huge responcibility to carry a loaded weapon on your person.

Contact your local Chief or Sherriff and see what is required (many municipal websites list the info).

Ed

ps: Yes, I carry when I'm caching, but then again, I carry everywhere.

Nice that here in Alaska no permits are needed to carry, concealed or not. I often see hikers on the trails with a rifle slung over their shoulders. And these are established trails. But then again, you can get et by a bear even in town so...

Personally I do not, though I do carry a big can of bear spray. I used to have all sorts of weaponry but since having kids, I have gotten rid of them. When they get a bit older I will introduce them to guns and teach them properly.

Edited by 1stimestar
I think mostly in New Jersey is where you need a gun.

In my 45 years, over 30 of them spent wandering the woods of NJ, I've yet to encounter a situation where I wished I had a gun. Now driving down the NJ Turnpike, I encounter situations where I wished I had a gun every time, but I think that would be called murder. <_<

Only when I do some backcountry foray's do I bring along some insurance.

Is that an 1100 or an 11-87?

Its a Remington Pump Model 870, with a slug barrel. I can put a Weaver Hi-Lo Mount on it and use a scope. I bought the gun when I was 14 years old, for $50.00 brand new. Still works after 43 years of service. And has put a lot of meat in the pot.

Yea, but girls with guns are cooler then girls with sticks…

My wife has a shotgun that she received as a Christmas present from her parents, when she was eight years old.

Awww man, Likes guns, and goes caching in graveyards during thunderstorms... You don't wanna swap wives do ya? <_<

(Yes, I Know your wife online from other places, she said I should say Hi <_< )

Yea, but girls with guns are cooler then girls with sticks…

My wife has a shotgun that she received as a Christmas present from her parents, when she was eight years old.

Awww man, Likes guns, and goes caching in graveyards during thunderstorms... You don't wanna swap wives do ya? <_<

(Yes, I Know your wife online from other places, she said I should say Hi <_< )

This must be you.

I think that anyone who wants to drool over her is obligated to read this thread first.

Or you can drool over these. <_<

Oh man, when I clicked on that link the only picture showing was Divine's avatar. I started to worry about you man.

Then I decided to scan down and see what else might be in the thread. And I'm glad I did. <_<

Nice cannons... I mean... guns.

I'm new to the sport,in fact I get my Legend Christmas,but I was wondering if anyone other than the law enforcement cachers carry any type of pistol etc. for there protection.There's a lot of crazies out there and also four legged and slithery ones.I don't believe my hiking staff would be enough.

If you are the type who normally carries a gun, then sure, why not bring it along if it is legal to do so?

If you are not, I wouldn't suggest getting a gun to go along with your new GPS just to go geocaching. It would be easier and safer to find another hobby before getting hooked on this one <_<

We don't have many dangerous four legged or slitheries around here The most dangerous creature is most likely going to be a spider or mosquito. I guess you will need to evaluate your area to determine your needs.

The crazies around here are not in the woods, so I usually feel safe geocaching. I have yet to run into someone in the woods who scared me more than I scared them. Try to contact some of your local geocachers to see what they do, they will probably give you more insight about your surroundings than we can.

This thread is stupid and self-serving. So, I'll be both:

I tell you what...that little 5-shot, alloy, 640 hammerless, J-frame Smith revolver that lady in the picture got on her hip, ain't worth a bucket o'warm spit.

Dang, I seen one o'them same-ole hand-guns blowed up in buddies hand when he was plinkin at some old sodie cans.

The crazies around here are not in the woods, so I usually feel safe geocaching. I have yet to run into someone in the woods who scared me more than I scared them.

I once DID run into one of the crazies in the woods once... as soon as he realized 'dude has a gun' he split. I was rather glad I had it and knew how to use it.

Also had a run in with a 4 legged crazy once caching also.

I agree with Cashew Nut's last post. If you normally carry, carry. If you don't, dont. If you choose to do so, make sure you know the local laws. I carry in all 29 states legal for me to do so. National Parks are a nono, but then caches there are too. Use wise judgement and be safe and there will be no worries.

I'm going back to lurking now.

Parrot

The dangers are present and very real. I guess those of you who never had an accident also don't feel the need to wear seat belts. A lot of our local trouble is in the population centers, but there is a lot of potential trouble along the "trash line". I read that phrase in a trout fishing book - it means the area where most people will turn around and head back to their vehicle. The book refers to litter that folks leave in these areas. This is where a lot of drinking, drugging, and worse happens. Many violent crimes occur right where the wilderness meets the vehicle access. These are also the areas we cache.

In Texas, handgun carriers are required to keep their weapon "concealed." Not in a holster or otherwise in view. "Open" weapons tend to be provocative. Of course, this doesn't apply on the range.

It's illegal to carry a handgun, concealed or not, if the carrier has not spent the required time in a CHP class.

About 3/4 of the class time is spent in "conflict resolution;" none in killing people.

People who are bent on devilment seldom (never?) possess a Concealed Handgun Permit. I've never heard of a CHP holder involved in any violent activities.

My CHP permit resides in my wallet alongside my DL; my 9mm Derringer goes in a front pocket. Two shots; if I can't resolve the conflict in that many shots, I'm better off to run.

This also applies to SpouseTilly's equipment.

I'm sorry folks, but it looks like this thread is headed for a collision with Godwin's Law.

Edited by valleyrat

If Colorado had Grizzles or problems with wolf packs, I'd carry while out hiking in the mountains. I've carried on multi day trips, but only for hunting or survival purposes, not to ward off animals or other humans. I'm a gun collector, but 99% of the time my guns are in a safe or carried back and forth to a shooting range.

In PA, you have to have a Concealed Carry Permit, which I do have. My main carry gun is a Colt Mustang 380, which conceals nicely or my Kimber Compact 45. I've only carried it once on geocaching and I would carry it more often if I was caching in more remote locations. But since most of my caching has been in suburbs, I really don't see a need to carry my gun.

Geez! Guns and geocaching, eh? Must be an American thing? Not an issue up here, eh?

Yepp, it must an american thing. It is forbidden to carry weapons in my country, and the risk of running into a maniac is quite low, since they are also forbidden to carry weapons <_<

Well, the topic isnt the ethics of carrying a weapon, it's if people (legally) do or not while geocaching. FYI, it is forbidden for criminals in the US to own or carry a gun too, and it against the law to use one to commit a crime. The reason they are criminals is they do not follow the laws. Some of the highest violent crime rates in the world are in locations where guns are forbidden. Anyone who cares to continue the discussion of ethics can do so in this thread which is allowed because it's in the off topic area.

Edited by Mopar