Vulcans In Scandinavia?

arbalo

hello to the north,

probably you heard about the new cachetyp "earthcache" www.earthcache.org.

my cache "valkanbaby" is germany northmost vulcan, probably europes northmost!?

so I need to know if there are vulcans in scandinavia ( sweden, finland, norway ), I know there are many on iceland, but does iceland belong to scandinavia?

can someone help?

regards

alex

As http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/faq21.html states:

The Roman historian Pliny the Elder mentions in 67 CE an island called "Scadinauia" in the sea at the edge of the world, north of Germania. This, as it dawned much later to the civilized world, was in fact no island but the southern tip of Sweden, the province of Scania (Skåne). The name is thought to be related to the word "skada", or "damage" that could be done to ships by the sand reefs outside southwestern Sweden. The "-avia" ending, on the other hand, probably comes from a word meaning "island", cf. contemporary Norwegian "øya". Thus the original definition of the word "Scandinavia" was purely geographical: it referred to the Scandinavian peninsula -- contemporary Sweden and Norway.

So neither Finland or Island isn't part of Scandinavia, only Norway and Sweden are. However they all are part of Northern Europe and the Nordic countries.

However:

[The Random House Encyclopaedia]

SCANDINAVIA

1. region of northern Europe consisting of

the kingdoms of Sweden, Norway and Denmark;

culturally and historically Finland and Iceland

are often considered part of this area.

So it's up to you to decide. <_<

Edited by solarflare
Have you tried to search for caches named "volcano"? <_<

There is a bunch of them in Skåne.

Vow! I think one should some day make a geocaching trip to the skadeøyar, the real Scandinavia, also known as the Göteborg and see them. <_<

Que? These volcanos are located in Skåne, that's about 200+ km south of Göteborg <_<

And what is skadeöar? Never heard about it...

The northernmost volcano i Norway is Beerenberg. It is located on the island of Jan Mayen, 600 km north-northeast of Iceland, not too far from Spitsbergen. The last eruption was in 1985. Getting there is fairly difficult, and may involve spending the winter there... No active volcanos exist on mainland Norway.

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_i...beerenberg.html

Edited by Tzoid