No Satellite Locks

annmarie123

I have not been able to get a satellite lock on my Cobra GPS 100. I drove all around town stopping at places where the sky was in complete view. I got pulled over by a cop for pulling over in a strange area. when I explained what I was doing he said that my town was a "dead area" and there was no way i was going to get a satellite lock here. I live on old fort ord in marina california and he said that it definitely would not work on fort ord. the geocaching website has plenty of caches hidden there though. is it the machine? is it the town? any ideas?

Edited by annmarie123

Yes it may take up to 20 minutes to cold start the GPSr. After this initial cold start it should start quicker after that. The best way to cold start on is standing still in a wide open area.

There are very few areas where your GPSr will not work in the world mainly at the bottom of a canyon, or in the middle of a larger city were the building will look like a canyon blocking the signals from the satellites. The fact that the signal that the GPSr using to compute your location comes from a satellite coupled with the fact that usually there are 12 satellites overhead and you only nned a clear view of 3 or 4 , depending on accuracy and your GPSr (2-D verse 3-D), to get a position fix (aka lock).

I agree with the previous posters that you should try leaving it in one spot with a good view of the sky for at least 15 minutes. If it still doesn't pick up the satellite signals you should return it as defective. The Cobra receivers have gotten very mixed reviews so it's certainly possible that you got a bad sample.

BTW, I've ridden my bicycle through Fort Ord and Marina on my way down the Pacific coast quite a few times and have never had the least bit of trouble keeping a good satellite lock on my GPS in that area.

I live in a "DEAD ZONE" too, but that term only applies to radio communications such as cell phone usage and two-way radios. It does NOT apply to satellite communications such as GPS signal reception. Satellites are high up in the sky and the signal can get down to the deepest of canyons (if it is high enough in the sky to be "seen" by your GPSr). If you do live in a very deep canyon, then you should at least get one or two sat signals.

A few links regarding the "quality" of Cobra GPSrs:

Cobra Gps100, Buyer beware! This is a piece of junk!

Cobra GPS 500 possibly not working???

Cobra GPS100: Worthless for Caching?

Does anybody have any experience with the new Cobra GPS's?

Edited by Neo_Geo