Help With My New Garmin 60c

Shop99er

Mrs. Shop99er here. I just bought the Garmin 60c and I'm already having trouble understaing a few things even though I've been through the manual several times.

I've got the basics down but when I cached today and I can't figure out how to get the Distance to Destination window on the map page to go from miles, while I'm driving to the cache, then to feet when I'm near the cache. Once it gets to under a mile the window goes blank. How do I fix that? I know it's in there because after frustratedly pushing buttons I got it to where it's 400 feet ahead, then I lost satellites and when the satellites came back on it was totally gone. No feet no miles.

My other problem is getting driving directions figured out from waypoint to waypoint. Do I need to, in order, set up a list of routes for all of the caches du-jour or can I tell it to go from this cache to that cache, then tell it to recalculate and expect to get the correct driving directions. I had been doing that today and when I had flat had enough of struggling with it and the caches I told it to go from the last cache to home. It routed me back through all the caches I had just done!

So far I love the back light and the blow by blow driving directions but I'm not wild lack of directions in the manual for the completely brain dead and technically lacking...that being me. I'm also really disappointed that $450 bought me, basically a fancy map, that will lose satellites under the most minute forest covering while my husband's inexpensive and beat up Magellen keeps satellites strong when he's standing next to me and mine are gone.

What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything wrong? If this is how the 60c is going to perform I'd do better with a AAA Map and a dog!

HELP!!

(Edit--Typo)

Edited by Shop99er

The problem with the distance to go data block sounds really strange. I have a 60c and have never encountered that problem.

I'm not sure from your post whether you have City Select installed or not. That is needed for turn by turn directions. If not, then that is the problem. If you do have it installed, then I don't know what to say.

I agree that the manual is very difficult to use. Most of the inportant information is in the margin and not the main part of the text. Other than that, I really like my 60c.

Edit: Note that the antenna needs to be vertical to get the best coverage. I have not had any problem with tree cover except in the most extreme cases. It is so much better than the yellow peril I used to use.

Edited by WeightMan

Need to hold the GPS near vertical, but still be able to read the display. Also hold it up at about chest level. If it is acting funny, do a reset of the GPS, then leave out for 20 minutes to get the proper downloading of the positions and health of all the satellites. The 60C has been the best overall GPS out of the Dozen GPS units ive had.

Covering a couple basics (Assuming you have city select)

To navigate, that is follow road directions, you select your waypoint, click GOTO, 'Follow road" and either 'Shorter Distance or Faster Time."

Once on the trail, you select the waypoint again and select "Off Road" which gives you the arrow to follow.

------------

It sounds like when the system was taking you back through every cache, you were using the TracBack feature. To navigate to your home, you will need a waypoint for your house.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Good morning, I have the 76C which is just like the 60C. You will love the 60C once you are familiar with it. As mentioned above set your home as a waypoint. I assume you do have the City Select maps installed. Ajetpilot who lives down your way has the 60C and it works just like my 76C. When I go geocaching I do a GO TO the first geocache that I am looking for using ON-ROAD routing. When I arrive at the parking space I go to OFF ROAD and use the compass page to find the cache. Then if I am going home I use FIND and do a GOTO to HOME using ONROAD routing. It will take you home. I also have the iQue and the 76C routes the same as it except the 76C doesn't have "Bitchen Betty" telling you where to go. Good luck and there are plenty of 60C in Kitsap County for you to get help. Dick, W7WT

Thank you everyone for the fast replies. I do have City Select North America V6 installed. I'm pretty sure the routing it just a matter of this here gizmo and me don't quite have a loving and respectful relationship....yet. So I'm not as concerned about that as I am the lack of distance in feet to the blinkin' cache!

The Mr. is going to putter around with it today to see if I've put some sort of female voodoo stink on it...which I have been known to do (had a VW who would blow fuses like popcorn when I drove it and nothing when he drove it so I do have a bad history with mechanical things). I'm certain it's something I'm doing wrong because everyone raves about this unit.

We have a fairly big caching trip planned for the Oregon coast the day after Christmas where we are going to bag our 500th find so I'd like the whole trip to be an enjoyable experience and not complete frustration!

Thanks again everyone!

Mrs. Shop99er

Just wondering, does that same problem occur if the distance to the cache is in another position? It could be that data block has a problem and not the distance to cache. Try putting it in two data blocks at the same time and see if there is a difference is the way it works. Another stab in the dark would be to switch units to metric and see if that is a problem. Since it alway happens at the same point maybe switching units will change the way it works. The last is a just a wild guess at a way around the problem and has not relation to what may actually work. Sometimes weird things do weird things.

I should also have asked if it does the same thing on both the compass screen and the screen with all the data blocks?

Edited by WeightMan

This would be the other half of Shop99er.

WeightMan, I'm assuming you're talking about the data fields in the map and compass screens. If so, I'll give that a look.

I went out this morning and tried using the thing. I own a cache just a tad over .11 miles from my house. It worked just like I thought it should. The major differance I could see was that I wasn't under a lot of tree cover. Course, I was under clouds....The Boss informed me when I got back that she was having problems while we were out in the open yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if it might have something to do with all the button-mashing she was doing.

She does tend to take the same approach I do sometimes. That being, "Read the book?? Why?"

I would like to ask if anyone knows how to get rid of "go-to" routes. I can create 'em, but not get rid of them. Or, do they go away on their own?

Thanks all,

Shop99er

WeightMan, I'm assuming you're talking about the data fields in the map and compass screens. If so, I'll give that a look.

I went out this morning and tried using the thing. I own a cache just a tad over .11 miles from my house. It worked just like I thought it should. The major differance I could see was that I wasn't under a lot of tree cover. Course, I was under clouds....The Boss informed me when I got back that she was having problems while we were out in the open yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if it might have something to do with all the button-mashing she was doing.

She does tend to take the same approach I do sometimes. That being, "Read the book?? Why?"

I would like to ask if anyone knows how to get rid of "go-to" routes. I can create 'em, but not get rid of them. Or, do they go away on their own?

Thanks all,

Shop99er

Should be:

Map Screen

Menu button

"Stop Navigation"

Enter

Thanks all,

Shop99er

I was really talking about the Trip Computer Page as well as the compass page. If you haven't read the book, go to that page, hit menu, and then goto change data fields. You can then hit enter while a data field is highlighted and put something else in there. You can do the same thing on the compass page.

If you do what Tired Iron said you can get rid of the goto. If you recalculate from that screen, you can switch to off road. Be sure that you have set Lock on Road to Off. You can still auto route with that setting.

....The Boss informed me when I got back that she was having problems while we were out in the open yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if it might have something to do with all the button-mashing she was doing.

The Mrs. here...

I love him to death. Honest I do. But if any of you find him on a trail with a fork sticking out of the back of his head....it wasn't me...swear to God! <_<

What I want to know, did you get it to work the way it should?

I was talking about the 60C not the fork.

That was hysterical!

Yes on both counts. The Mr. spent 20 minutes on hold to the nice Garmin people and they walked him through how to get it to do what we needed it to do.

The short of it is...and the forehead slapping simple solution was to tell the gizmo to look for something other than street/road routes. In the woods there are no roads to follow...DOH!.... Also explains why we could get it to go down into feet to destination when we were walking towards one of our own caches.... which is placed next to a street!...... I used to say that my mother only raised one idiot...I'm not so sure now!

The second problem, the routing,was a matter of not creating a 'route' from each cache to the next one. It was a matter of telling it to 'go to' the next cache.

Thank you everyone for the help! I think we may actually have a handle on this!

See ya all in the woods

Mrs. shop99er

Edited by Shop99er

I had a similar problem with my map60c is that I went geocaching and on the gps I put follow road on the gps and when I had about 500 feet for the cache I lost the screen. So what I did I didnt follow road but the off road course and got to the cache. When you follow road the map brings you up to the last point off your map but if there is no road left to the cache well your gps will do funny thing. So as far as I'm concern is at the lat mile or so to go off road instead of follow road.

Edited by flame1
I had a similar problem with my map60c is that I went geocaching and on the gps I put follow road on the gps and when I had about 500 feet for the cache I lost the screen. So what I did I didnt follow road but the off road course and got to the cache. When you follow road the map brings you up to the last point off your map but if there is no road left to the cache well your gps will do funny thing. So as far as I'm concern is at the lat mile or so to go off road instead of follow road.

In the follow road screen, there is a menu that says on, off, or prompt.

Garmin sez use prompt. When the GPSr runs out of road, it'll ask you what do you wanna do?