How Long To Hold A Tb???

ziatriguy

I picked up a TB with all intents and purposes of moving it closer to it's destination almost two weeks ago. I had a trip planned that direction but it got postponed. Should I place it in the area for someone else or wait until I can get east o' here.?

Don't wan't to hijak the TB.....don't wan't to waylay it either..... :lol:

Been there, done that. Welcome to the club.

It's almost Christmas with the associated trips to Grandma's. Without knowing the specifics, the correct answer (probably) is to release it ASAP so someone on the move this week can grab it for a trip in the right direction. If you have a local caching group, mention the bug there to see if anyone is definitely headed in the right direction.

I'm new to this, but after holding on to a TB for a week I felt very anxious to place it somewhere instead of holding on to it any longer.

Now that I'm an owner of a couple, I get the same anxious feeling seeing mine being held, even though I know that the weather and holidays may be causing a slow-down.

How long is it before it is considered too long?

I am fairly new to the sport of geocaching, however I am now an addict. I have found 91 total caches to date, this is in two months only. To make a long story short I also own 14 TB's. Out of 14 only two have been picked up. One has been moved, but the other was picked up two weeks ago and hasn't been placed yet. To say the least I'm feeling a little bit antsy about it. I looked at the guys profile and he is brand new to the sport and it's his first TB to ever pick up. I e-mailed him and typed up a nice welcome letter and let him know I was anxious to see where he was going to place "Captain Hook" the TB.

Anyway, I have not heard back from him and hopefully my TB is not lost. So to make a long story shorter, e-mail the owner and let him or her know the status of their TB's. BECAUSE TB'S ARE OUR CHILDREN TOO !!!!!

I am fairly new to the sport of geocaching, however I am now an addict.  I have found 91 total caches to date, this is in two months only. To make a long story short I also own 14 TB's.  Out of 14 only two have been picked up.  One has been moved, but the other was picked up two weeks ago and hasn't been placed yet.  To say the least I'm feeling a little bit antsy about it. I looked at the guys profile and he is brand new to the sport and it's his first TB to ever pick up.  I e-mailed him and typed up a nice welcome letter and let him know I was anxious to see where he was going to place "Captain Hook" the TB.

Anyway, I have not heard back from him and hopefully my TB is not lost.  So to make a long story shorter, e-mail the owner and let him or her know the status of their TB's.  BECAUSE TB'S ARE OUR CHILDREN TOO !!!!!

Two weeks is nothing to get antsy about, especially during the holiday season (and, depending on where you live, bad weather). Give him until some time in January before you start to get concerned.

We've had several bugs picked up by first-timers, and each of them very conscientiously placed the bug in a cache within a reasonable time (less than a month). Seeing a "My first cache! And my first travel bug!" log for one of our bugs doesn't make us nervous at all; it's just something to smile about.

If you're going to think of your TB as your "child", then think of it as a grown-up child, out of the nest, wandering the world, on its own. It will go where it goes, and there's not much you can do about it. Maybe it will call home every once in a while, but don't depend on it.

I am new to geocaching and went out with my family for our first trip here in our home town. Our first cache was very exciting, for us !.

We found a travelbug and my children were thrilled. The TB was in better shape than the rest of the cache, happily ensconced in his own little ziploc with official paperwork, metal tag and laminated label.

We now have the little guy/girl ? at our house for a few days and then we are sending him east, hopefully.

The guidelines suggest "As Soon As Possible". And little asterisks remind you after two weeks.

That being said, a month is not an unreasonable time to hold a Bug. Much beyond that, without permission for the owner, look for a cache quickly.

Yes, TBs are my children. Stoically, I realize that they are out on their own in the big, bad world. I have e-mailed two holders. One dropped it off quickly. The other said he would be bringing it to its final destination soon. Works for me.

I would e-mail the owner if I didn't plan of moving it on pretty quick (a couple of days). A month is a long time to go without any word on a bug. With a little note saying "I'm planning on bringing him out in a week or so" would go a long way to putting an owner's mind at ease. I just got a note today about one of my bugs "Dirk da' Viking", who has only been held for 2 weeka and I really appreciated it. Its nice to get a note *before* you start to worry about the bug.

Half the fun of travel bugs is just knowing what is going on with them, and to watch their adventures as they travel, which for me aren't just the 'in-cache' adventures.

Personally, I wouldn't care if my bug only moved 3 times a year if every single finder posted pictures and did something cool with it, like took it out for beer. :o

Seriously though, I think people should keep bugs longer and do more stuff with them. I want stories, adventures, pictures, not some meaningless stat like travel bug miles.

This is, of course, just my view.

Regards,

Anthony