Gpsr And Airport Security?

I've tossed my GPSr in my briefcase lots of times and run it through with no ill effects. Laptops are routinely put through the machines, as are PDA's. It should be no problem.

Check with the airline about using your GPSr during flight. Southwest is fine, so long as you keep it turned off until the okay for "portable electronic devices." Other airlines have their own rules.

You may need to keep it by a window to get a lock. Kinda cool seeing your ground speed at 550 mph and your altitude at 29,000 while you compare the view out the window with the map on the screen.

I haven't carried a GPSr thru, but I have carried both film and digital cameras thru the airport checkins. I have had no problems with either. I have also carried my Palm with SD cards thru and no problem with that. Based on these results, I wouldn't worry about carrying a GPSr thru.

I sent them right thru without requesting a hand check.

Edited by ErnieD1125

TSA keeps saying that the XRay machines used on checked baggage will damage film. They do not make any qualifications on film speed. Film should go in carry ons.

As far as I know there is nothing in s GPSr that will be damaged by XRays. I have never checked mine, but it has gone with me many times in a carry on.

There will be a change coming up soon that says that lithium batteries may not go in checked luggage due to a possible fire danger. Having that in a carry on will be fine. Don't ask, I have no idea why it is OK in a carry on, but not allowed in checked luggage.

I've taken my GPSr and other thing through carry on and the screening has not damaged them in any way. As has been said laptops are required to be put through separately. I have had no damage to film including very high speed film at carry on but have notice that TSA says to have all film in your carry on as the checked screening may damage it. One thing that I have noticed is that when I have a lot of electronics in my carry on baggage is that it does receive supplemental screening which varies from an explosives check (swab the bag and place the pad in the machine) to hand inspection.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was pretty sure the cameras would be OK, but I'm glad to hear the GPS should be too.

So, it will go in my carry-on, through the screening device. I'm sure it will get quite the once-over, as I have a nice camera carrying case that should fit all three devices, extra cards, the GPSr instruction booklet (it's my Christmas present), plus charging cords for all. I can only imagine what that will look like through the scanner. <_<

Good grief! I hadn't realized how "connected" I'd gotten until just now. I've also got to bring along my cell phone in-car charger, and why not the GPS car charger too? <_<

Thanks,

Seek, who needs to simplify a little...