Threads Going Off-topic

SeventhSon

I'm not sure I've ever read a thread that didn't go off topic at least a little bit. Someone throws in a little humor, and then someone takes off with this idea. Yea, I'm guilty of it too :lol: But some of these threads lately have gone off on a tangent so far off the map it boggles even the mindless. I mention this because I was boggled. So I had an idea ....

We hide caches and if we don't like a log, we have the power to delete it. So if we start a thread, how bout we have the power to delete an off-topic post :smile: A simple key stroke and "blip" the post is gone. Since it wasn't part of the discussion anyway, it won't be missed. And maybe not deleted, but thrown over to the Off Topic Forum in a thread called "Posts That Have Been Blipped". Wouldn't that be some interesting reading. And you can't post to the blipped thread, you have to be blipped over there. :D

Just a random thought

We hide caches and if we don't like a log, we have the power to delete it. So if we start a thread, how bout we have the power to delete an off-topic post

its a bad idea!!!

What's to prevent a "owner" to "bleep" anybody or anything.

Could be a really good debate thread.....I see nothing but issues.

hmmm....why did you really start this thread??

Yeah, I would say no too. Moderators may edit objectionable stuff from people's posts but we very rarely delete an entire post. We avoid it as much as possible. If something is removed we paste it into the warning notices to preserve it so other moderators can see what kind of past actions a member might have taken. I would agree that the cries of censorship would abound (trust me, they already do enough as it is).

Don't make me stop this thread!

Do you want to *WALK* home from the forums????

I REALLY REALLY REALLY MEAN IT!

Now how are we supposed to take this warning seriously with that avatar lecturing us? :lol:

Perhaps you should set up another one for your "Bad Keystone Side"? :D

Back OT-nah; really really really bad idea.

It's about losing a good thread because it goes off topic

Many times a thread gets derailed because it is all used up by the participants of the thread. They really have nothing relavent left to say. Also, there are times the thread goes off-track then comes back (usually after a mod warning). It seems to me the only time I really care about this problem is when I'm the OP. Even then, I take some satifaction in closing the train wreck down. It is somewhat empowering to 'push the button'.

All too often someone starts a thread because they have an issue, but then do not like the replies they get. That will almost always leads to derailment.

Othertimes someone will start a good thread and abandon it, and not post again until it has gone away from the OP.

Sometimes though, they do stay on course until they have outlived their usefulness, which I guess is what CP just said.

It seems to me if the OP really does want to keep a good thread on track they need to be activly involved, and somewhat impartial while the rest of the world chimes in, and not get defensive when a post doesn't agree with their postition. And of course there are a few folks in these parts who just like to derail threads for fun, :D and try to turn it into the agenda they wish to discuss.

Now what were we discussing again? :lol:

So tearing out a sheet that's been written on and putting it in another notebook is bad, but tearing out all the empty sheets so no one else can write is ok ...

...you are wanting to tear out the sheat and put it in the shreadder because you didnt like the print....(good or bad) so nobody can read it.

I'm not saying to ....tear out all the sheets....

I'm saying that sometimes you need to (publish the book) and end it so its not like "groundhog day".

All too often someone starts a thread because they have an issue, but then do not like the replies they get. That will almost always leads to derailment.

Othertimes someone will start a good thread and abandon it, and not post again until it has gone away from the OP.

Sometimes though, they do stay on course until they have outlived their usefulness, which I guess is what CP just said.

It seems to me if the OP really does want to keep a good thread on track they need to be activly involved, and somewhat impartial while the rest of the world chimes in, and not get defensive when a post doesn't agree with their postition. And of course there are a few folks in these parts who just like to derail threads for fun, :D and try to turn it into the agenda they wish to discuss.

Now what were we discussing again? :lol:

Now that was a good answer. The blip idea was to spawn usable ways to keep a thread on track. I would just prefer to see a thread die a natural death than to have a mod close it because it's going every which way ...

So tearing out a sheet that's been written on and putting it in another notebook is bad, but tearing out all the empty sheets so no one else can write is ok ...

...you are wanting to tear out the sheat and put it in the shreadder because you didnt like the print....(good or bad) so nobody can read it.

I'm not saying to ....tear out all the sheets....

I'm saying that sometimes you need to (publish the book) and end it so its not like "groundhog day".

Not shred it, just move it .... but, see my above post to understand the idea behind my original post.

It seems to me if the OP really does want to keep a good thread on track they need to be activly involved, and somewhat impartial while the rest of the world chimes in, and not get defensive when a post doesn't agree with their postition. And of course there are a few folks in these parts who just like to derail threads for fun, :lol: and try to turn it into the agenda they wish to discuss.

Now what were we discussing again? :D

Hey, I've got 10,000 posts for a reason :lol:

:smile:

If the replies are going off topic and you wish to check it into place a note in the thread is appropriate. With that said the tone of the note will often be heard by the poster. So without a flame and a gentle nudge this may be all that is needed to put the string back on topic. You always have the option to put in the final note on that string which has travelled too far off topic and lock it down if you feel that the subject is dieing a slow death.

Don't make me stop this thread!

Do you want to *WALK* home from the forums????

I MEAN IT!

PFFFFFTTTTT!!!!!

Ha! There's a personal attack, too! :o

In case that doesn't do it, this link to another, less autocratic caching site (www.texascaches.org) should do the trick. <_<

Funny, that other site doesn't have any caches listed in Colorado. i guess I'll stay here and watch you leave then :(