A Change In The "send Message" Defaults?

Team GeoDillo

I have noticed recently that whenever I go into someone's profile and choose "Send message", that the box for "Email me a copy of this message" is always checked, no matter what state I've left it in.

This is a change in the way things used to worked. I hoping this change was an accident. Can we get this changed back to the state each user previously leaves it in (user specific)?

Thanks...

What would the reason be for wanting it to always be on? It seems that if a user doesn't want to get a copy of the email, then they shouldn't have to (and shouldn't have to switch it every time). I mean, if Jeremy feels we should always get the emails, why is there even an option to turn it off?

Not bitching, just wondering what the reason were?

BTW Thanks for chiming in here, Hemlock.

Sometimes it's nice to remember that you sent an email off to someone... I usually keep an email in my inbox until I get a response from the sender

Jared...I think you missed the point. The whole idea of having that check box is to be able to email yourself a copy of the message so that you can "remember" that you sent them a message....if you CHOOSE to do so.

My issue is that if I don't want to send myself a copy message each time I send a message to someone, I have to uncheck that box EACH time.

Think about it this way:

If Jeremy wants everyone to always get a copy of the email they send, then there is no need to put a check box there, just email everyone a copy.

If he's going to put a check box there to give people the option, then it should remember whether or not you've checked it, because some people want the option to never get the copied email.

If this isn't logical then please point out the flaw in my logic.

I'm sorry, I just can't see how unchecking a box each time is that big a deal. Perhaps you send a lot more mail than I do.

GeoForse

It's just a pain to have to uncheck a box to NOT get an e-mail. I'd think it'd be a better use of resources to have it unchecked, and have the people who actaully WANT a copy check the box. Then, the system isn't sending out a copy to the people who just forgot to uncheck the box...........

IIRC the logic was...

If you don't want the email, you can either uncheck the box or delete the message.

But if the default was to NOT send a copy, and you DO want the email, but you forget to check the box, then tough nuts, the message is gone.

Better to get the copy and not want it, than to want it and not get it.

Clear as mud? <_<

Although I don't necessarily agree with the OP's reasoning, I think it might be a good idea to have the checkbox remember the users preference.

I'm not sure if it's possible (I'd wager it is) or easy to code (I have no idea bout that.....) - it would make sense to let the user decide.

However, I personaly would rather err on the side of caution and have the default set to send the email. As Hemlock says, it's better to get it and not want it (delete?) than to want it and not get it (tough luck).

If it's not possible (or not something that you'd want to do) to set it to remember the user preference - I'd have to say I'd like it to stay as it currently is.

sd

It's just a pain to have to uncheck a box to NOT get an e-mail. I'd think it'd be a better use of resources to have it unchecked, and have the people who actaully WANT a copy check the box. Then, the system isn't sending out a copy to the people who just forgot to uncheck the box...........

If you send out that much mail from the site, just set up a rule in your mail client to automatically trash the copies, or move them to their own folder. It would take about 2 minutes to set up, since all the copies are tagged with the same text.