Pmr Channel?

rutson

Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout.

source

By the way: The Krauts use PMR2 ... dunno why

Sold all four of my ALAN / MIDLAND 456 PMR446 radios incl vox headsets on eBay.

I found PMR next to useless. Good for car to car comms whilst in convoy. But in the field/wood can probably shout further than their range. Less than 250mtr in woodland with awful reception.

Those Alan models where pretty pricey, God knows what these £19.99 sets I have seen are like in performance.

It says on FAQ link from the the geocaching mainpage ...

Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout.

Bring Back CB.. 10-4 good buddy.. was a good system until it was hyjacked by taxi firms.. well was in 80's

Am I showing me age.. bugger.. back in me hole then  byeeeeeeeeeee

Naaaahhh.........when they introduced FM and the flippin' licence knacked it for me :o

As Mossy trooping color said Nought wrong with the good old naughty CB.

Even the 'New' 40 ain't that bad. But can you get handhelds for that frequency.

Yes get a amateur licence VHF or UHF. Tiny little handsets goes miles. and if near a repeater, lots more miles.

I was in my motor in London and had a chat to a guy on Snowden who had a handheld. It was though a repeater though, and Freak conditions.

I also had the privalige to have a quick chat with the late 'Mark the cat' when he was in the area on an event. he was doing a geocache fox hunt.

P.S. I think you still need licences for PMR. If caught you get a very hard slapped wrists.

Scenario

A cacher is out searching and life emits from his radio.

“Any geocachers copy this station”

Cacher one replies. “ I copy you cacher, where are you?”

Cacher two. “In the forest”

C One “ So am I. Want to have an eyeball?”

C Two “ Roger that. Where shall we meet?”

C One “Meet up at the tea stall High Beech”

C Two “ High Beech. Where’s That?”

C One “ You must know High Beech. Everyone Knows that”.

C Two “ Well I don’t”.

C one “ You are in Epping Forest?”

C two “ No. I am in the New forest”

P.S. I think you still need licences for PMR. If caught you get a very hard slapped wrists.

nope

The simple answer is, some you do, some you don't.

The ones sold by gadget shops as PMR446 are licence free: However, there are many other flavours of PMR which DO require a licence.

As was said up there somewhere, it's now easier than it's ever been to get a ham radio licence (at least at the basic level), and for any serious gadget freak it opens up loads of possibilities!

Paul G0TLG

Amateur callsign G0TLG (Surprise surprise!)

"Licenced in the days when you had to work for it" (Only joking)