Saskatchewan

bigmuddy

If there are any cachers in Saskatoon this weekend for the airshow look me up!

I'll be staying at The Saskatoon Inn with the other balloonatics. If your so inclined we can put you to work on a balloon crew. If your interetsed contact Marvin Schultz [marvin.schultz@gmail.com]. He's the local balloon pilot oganizing the balloon event. Great guy BTW!

Ask for Steve from Calgary, I'll be flying the Calgary Balloon Club balloon. From top to bottom...Dark Blue, Light Blue, White, Light Blue, Dark Blue. Looks like the weather is going to be great for flying balloons this weekend.

Always great to meet cachers form other cities!

I'll be trying to get some of the easy caches around town on Monday. If anyone has the day off and would like to tag along your more than welcome. We have a 3yr old so we won't be POWER CACHING just taking it easy and visiting some of the local parks.

Caches on tap include...

U. of S. Bowl Cam

Geodetic survey

Between 2 Bridges

µ

Raiders of the lost cache

Rock the Cache-Bog

S'toon Raider 1

Old Man Adilman's Cache

Agpro Alley Cache

Crush The Turtle's First Home

etc...

And here is yet another Saskatchewan cacher. There is definitely a lack of caches in southern sask. The only one even remotely near is Speedy Creek Cache. The next nearest ones to Swift Current are Sandcastles, 40 kms away, and Birds, Saskatchewan, about 60. I feel lucky that there is such a thing as vehicles, because then at least I have some chance of finding caches. Like in Saskatoon tomorrow, I'm excited for that, because there are actually a decent number there. 4 pages or something. I submitted a virtual near Swift Current on a Geodetic Survey Marker, awaiting approval, and I encourage others to work on getting some more caches around this area.

Funny you mention Birch Hills, my parents live not far from there and I have a couple of caches sitting in their closet waiting for me to come home for the weekend and plant them. So if you are ever back in the area, there will be more going up. Pretty sure I can't get them out there in time for your visit. Have fun with the existing ones though.

There is a sad lack of Geocachers here in Saskatchewan unfortunately. People just haven't really cottoned on to it yet even though there are a considerable amount of people running around with a GPS ;) . Around North Battleford where i am I count only about 5, maybe 6 people who are doing it :D. Feel free if you are travelling through this way to look some up - they can be found on the keyword search of : YLHDSK.

Cheers ;)

Any of you Regina cachers willing to let us know which caches are winter-friendly? I know all the regina school board ones are disabled in winter which is too bad. We'll be up in your neck of the woods between Xmas and New Years. Maybe we'll hide a cache or get some family members to do so! We will be heading to Regina from Yorkton so a list of which ones to get on the way there'd be nice. After Regina its back to Winnipeg on the #1.

I am currently doing a small research project for a class at the U of R on the potential for using geocaching to attract tourists to Northern Saskatchewan. I need a few people (ideally 20 from SK and 20 from outside SK) to answer a very quick 7 question suvey. All the questions are either yes/no or multiple choice. If anyone is interested you can email me at: cachestudy@hotmail.com and I will send you the survey.

As there doesnt seen to be a great deal of cachers from SK on this site if you know other geocachers in SK who dont use this site or check it all the time it would be appreciated if you could let them know about this as well. Thanks

I am trying to gain some information on the usage of the Parks Canada sites by Geocachers. Hopefully with this information, I will be able to have a good percentage of data to compile. Please answer as much of the survey as possible. The more information that you can give, will help me understand the parks usage as well as the general opinions of geocachers on the Parks Canada Interm Policy. All personal information will not be disclosed.

The survey is located at http://www.parker2.com/gcform.htm

If you would like more information on this survey or would like to receive a copy of the data, please email me at surveyinfo@parker2.com.

Thanks in advance

Owen Parker

parker2

geocaching@parker2.com

If you are a geocacher in SW Saskatchewan then you are invited to the First GAS Winter Event Cache. This is the first Medicine Hat event cache and it is an informal meeting, a chance to say hello all those names you read in the cache pages. Medicine Hat is a popular destination for SW Sakatchewan residents so here is a link to the event cache, it is planned for the last Sunday in January, no need to worry about the weather as it is inside.

I would really like to see you there if you get a chance.

I'm in Sask! Regina to be exact. I found my very first cache today so I'm still a noob. Plan to do a lot more very soon!

Just bought my first GPS (60CX). Moreso for hunting/ice fishing, but I'm looking forward to trying things out for caching here around Saskatoon

Edited by jpicks

SK cacher here in south eastern SK about 125 kms east of Regina. Finder of a few caches so far and owner of one so far. I plan on placing more along the wonderful views of the Qu'Appelle Valley. SuzyQ and myself now have travel bugs we received for Christmas that we will send out on a jouney in the spring.

I have contacted John Gormley and Murray Wood with 650 CKOM (Saskatoon), 980 CJME (Regina) to inform them that the second geocache in Canada is located in SK and it is the very first geocache in SK. I hope they would do a show about Geocaching in Saskatchewan and get more people involved, finding and placing. Keep on caching in Saskacachewan :lol: . Our cache is 'The Poplar Place', first we have placed but more to come soon.

Hi, I am new to this and looking at geocaching this summer in the Qu'Appelle Valley. Could you guide me as to what to get for a GPS in the $100 range just to start out?

While I do not live in SK, I was born and lived my first 18 years there.

I was in Regina a couple years ago and was surprised on how few caches were available at the time. Saskatoon seems to have a little more activity.

There are so many potential places for caches (even if it's at a crossroad of two gravel roads) at least the GPS will get you there!

Hopefully, when I'm there next time, the situation will be better.

Addicted to geocaching!

Fuzzywhip

PS: Go Riders!

I was born in Moose Jaw. Moved to alberta in 1973 and only been back a few times and never for caching. Mind you I have not been back for more then a bakers dozen years. You say peaple still live there, I could have sworn I turned the light of when we left. Oh thats right you still use candles, right? Have you seen a boxer running around there, heard you could see a dog running away for a week, email ifyou do ,, Thanks

I was born in Moose Jaw. Moved to alberta in 1973 and only been back a few times and never for caching. Mind you I have not been back for more then a bakers dozen years. You say peaple still live there, I could have sworn I turned the light of when we left. Oh thats right you still use candles, right? Have you seen a boxer running around there, heard you could see a dog running away for a week, email ifyou do ,, Thanks

Wow. That's a pretty rude response from someone who actually used to live in Saskatchewan. Sure doesn't paint Albertans in a good light.

Wow. That's a pretty rude response from someone who actually used to live in Saskatchewan. Sure doesn't paint Albertans in a good light.

Wow, It was a joke, sorry it went over your head. Lighten up a bit.

Wow, It was a joke, sorry it went over your head. Lighten up a bit.

It's very hard to gauge the intent behind a person's words over the internet... no behavioural context. I've been on the receiving end of condescending comments about Saskatchewanians too many times... just triggered old feelings, I guess. I accept your implied apology.

Hi mcdurr,

As you are aware, the goal is 3 days. Sometimes the Volunteer Reviewer are working, enjoying their families or on vacation (maybe geocaching). But onecrazycanadian, our Saskatchewan and Manitoba Volunteer Reviewer, has reviewed one of ours in less than one hour, we must have sent it at the right time. But I have found that Mondays are usually longer waits as a number of people are submitting new caches after the weekend. Also there is a new "power trail" of 100 caches that was published today that probably submitted before yours and thus held yours up.

If you have any questions, just contact onecrazycanadian through their profile page.

Looking forward to finding your caches in Saskatchewan.

The mwellmans from Alberta and formerly Saskatchewan. Go Green!

I love it when old threads come to life again!

We are planning to do some 'gopher hole caching' in the next little bit B):) . Our son is routing his GPS to Moose Jaw for a good long spell it seems, so of course where son is posted, parents will visit (and cache) :D .

We'll keep an eye on your region on the Groundspeak event calendar and try to time it right!