What's in your Backpack.

Deckyon

--- EDIT ---

Sorry for bringing up a pre-addressed thread subject. There is more than enough on this site to read, and going back through so many posts and forum messages can get tedious.

Again, sorry if I am posting something that has been gone over before. Mayb e an entry in the FAQ would help out.

--- END EDIT ---

As with any outdoor hobby, there are the necessities that are needed while out in the "wilds." My question, being a new geocacher, is what should I take in my backpack when geocaching.

I can guess at some of the basics:

Cell Phone

Spare Batteries

Water

Pencils (or pens)

Multitool

Raingear

Notebook

Whistle/Siren

Flashlight (w/ spare batteries)

Small first aid kit

Sun Screen

That is just what I will be having in my bag after I come up with everything. I have most of it, just need to find it. I would love to hear what everyone else has in their bags.

---

Brad Buskey

deckyon@NOSPAM.msn.com

Magellan Meridian Platinum

[This message was edited by Deckyon on May 13, 2003 at 07:36 PM.]

Here's a list of threads that might answer some of those questions.

First: Auf Deutsch

What things (apart from the GPS) do you take with you when geocaching?

What do you take with you on a cache hunt?

There's a list of historical links in that one - but all the links are out of date.

whats in your ruck?(backpack)

Geocaching check list

What do you put in your backpack?

What to carry in your backpack?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

My post was not intentioned to quiet you down. I just did a search on this topic for you and grabbed some of the ones that struck my fancy.

I would add the items

• extra deet
  • lots of trade trinkets of various value (even though I rarely trade anything)
  • 2 Trash Out Bags
  • Granola Bar
  • small ziploc of baby wipes (Wet Ones)
  • Two small band-aids and some single square alcohol wipes

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Here's a list of threads that might answer some of those questions.

WOW... Markwell missed the most interesting one!

This was the post where everyone emptied out the backpack and listed what was REALLY in it. Some of the items were amusing! Here it is....

What's REALLY in your backpack?

I remember it well. This thread also caused me to consolidate some of my equipment. EVERYTHING I now carry uses AA batteries, and my spare battery weight has been cut by 50%.

I also put in a photo of my backpack here:

What's REALLY in MY backpack?

Just what you needed... MORE STUFF TO READ. N-JOY...

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

*** icon_frown.gif Starts to hang head in shame, but remembers... icon_frown.gif ***

Hey, dont even have a backpack to use yet, so I haven't forgotten anything yet. Hence (re)starting this thread...

I do know of the best flashlight, though. It uses no batteries (and no, not solar.) You shake it up. They come in "C" size and "AA" size and are sold in Brookstone around here.

Also, something we took on our last adventure (not geocaching, yet) some water bottless that have built-in purifiers. we used them for days, never got sick. they are wonderful. We got the standard bicycle-size for $45, but have saved more than that so far, being able to fill them up anywhere. I still put a couple drops of the sanitizer to get rid of some of the taste, but they work great.

---

Brad Buskey

deckyon@NOSPAM.msn.com

Magellan Meridian Platinum

Hey, Desert_Warrior. That 9mm pistol in your pack has a floresent orange barrel. icon_smile.gif Is that for real?

But it does get me to thinking of how I might carry my M1911 .45 in such a way as not to be obviously carrying. Actually, I'm thinking of getting something smaller and lighter for my bike riding carry.

Backpack? now there is an idea... dadgum and I just got one on clearance at walmart for my nephew! it was nice too camo and was only $5!! guess I need to go back and see if they have more!

I usually put my items in the baby stroller... they are:

GPS (of course) and extra batteries

print outs from geocache

digital camera

pen

bug repelant (learned after 1st cache)

trade items

water (learned that after 1st cache)

[This message was edited by RadCcab on May 14, 2003 at 08:15 AM.]

I hate backpacks. I always get all twisted up in them and feel like I'm in chains or something.

But I also hate that I wind up carrying my GPS, camera, cell phone, paperwork and whatever else in my jacket pockets. Start to feel kinda deformed after a while!

Anyone have a Batman utility belt for sale that will hold a Meridian, standard sized Nokia phone, and standard sized Olympus digicam with room for a water bottle and spare batteries? :rolleyes:

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

quote:
Originally posted by Kordite:

Hey, Desert_Warrior. That 9mm pistol in your pack has a floresent orange barrel. icon_smile.gif Is that for real?

Have you ever seen a barrel obstruction explosion? I have, at a local IPSC match. The blow-out drove the magazine into the sand. The slide was locked back. The wooden grips seemed to absorb most of the blast, and filled the shooter's hands with splinters. He was lucky.

The orange tip is a foam earplug. In testing, it had no ballistic effect on point of impact. Once fired, I cannot even find the earplug. But it will keep foreign matter out of my pistol barrel.

quote:

But it does get me to thinking of how I might carry my M1911 .45 in such a way as not to be obviously carrying. Actually, I'm thinking of getting something smaller and lighter for my bike riding carry.

I developed that tan canteen cover. It had an Uncle Mikes nylon paddle-holster stiched inside. Clipped to my belt, no one ever suspects what it is. And so it should be. That is what concealed carry is all about.... make the BGs wonder, then go somewhere else. Like NY, LA, Chi-town, or DC. icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, on the backpack issue... the one in the photo is the Camelbak Military HAWG. I love it. With careful filliing, it carries nearly 1 gallon of ice water, and all the gear you see in the photo. AND - ROOM FOR MORE. I can highly recommend it, it is quite comfortable for HOURS of hiking.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

_WOW... Markwell missed the most interesting one!_

This was the post where everyone emptied out the backpack and listed what was REALLY in it. Some of the items were amusing! Here it is....

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=9156071791&r=9256071791

I remember it well. This thread also caused me to consolidate some of my equipment. EVERYTHING I now carry uses AA batteries, and my spare battery weight has been cut by 50%.

I also put in a photo of my backpack here:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=9156071791&r=9256071791#9256071791

Just what you needed... MORE STUFF TO READ. N-JOY...

El Paso, Texas.

D'OH! After Markwelling Brad B, Markwell has been MARKWELLED!

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

After unsuccessfully crossing a stream by rock-hopping the other day I realized I was missing one crucial item in my pack -- a spare pair of clean dry socks.

I really know better. DOH!

Also 'mountain money' (AKA toilet paper).

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
As quoted by Desert_Warrior:

BTW, on the backpack issue... the one in the photo is the Camelbak Military HAWG. I love it. With careful filliing, it carries nearly 1 gallon of ice water, and all the gear you see in the photo. AND - ROOM FOR MORE. I can highly recommend it, it is quite comfortable for HOURS of hiking.

I want that same bag!! Any chance you will be going back to the PX anytime soon! Can it be purchased in an Army/Navy surplus? I did see them for sale in the GPS Garage Sale forum, but I dont think they come in desert camo like yours. I especially like the insulated braid that covers the HAWG drink tube! I want one!!

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

quote:
As quoted by Desert_Warrior:

BTW, on the backpack issue... the one in the photo is the Camelbak Military HAWG. With careful filling, it carries nearly 1 gallon of ice water, and all the gear you see in the photo. AND - ROOM FOR MORE. I can highly recommend it.

I want that same bag!! Any chance you will be going back to the PX anytime soon! Can it be purchased in an Army/Navy surplus? I want one!!

Krs, Kar & Na

Well, it isn't likely I will get to the PX real soon. I am working 13-16 hours daily, including Saturdays right now. Furthermore, the PX is likely OUT of desert-cammo right now. I played hell finding one for my son (Army_Scout) (Profile) who is in Iraq with the Scout Platoon, 3rd Squardon, 3rd ACR.

Try this thread HERE where a fellow geocacher is sellinh Camelbak products. Several have used him and have been satisfied. I asked him about the desert-cammo, and he said he could get it. OTOH, he might also have trouble right now... there IS a war on. If you have no luck, contact me again.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Ok, the earplug in the barrel is just a great idea. $.50 is a great way to save an hour or so cleaning my weapon. I highly doubt a round traveling at 1300fps is going to be slowed by a foam 'insert' held in loosely by pressure.

Brian

Team A.I.

All correct. But I clean it anyway. Tip for you... if you are shooting lead bullets, fire off a few jacketed rounds before you go home. It will knock out most of the lead amd make cleaning easier. Also, brake cleaner is GREAT for removing carbon and powder residue. But be careful, it can ruin grips and other non-metalic parts.

Y-all have a great day!!!

El Paso, Texas.

>> Have you ever seen a barrel obstruction explosion?

Thankfully, no. But I did have a 9mm round not fully seat in the chamber. The base blew out of the casing, filling the grip with hot gas. Broke the grips, burned my hand and a piece of the casing made a nice crater in my polycarbon shooting glasses.

I didn't like that gun much anyway. I like my 45 Kimber Custom better.

I tend to ride my bicycle long distances. My bicycle used to look almost tree-like with water bottle racks hose-clamped to almost every conceivable surface. I finally got my own CamelBak. A MULE with a 3 liter capacity. The pack itself doesn't have as much space as yours but I chose it because it didn't have much space for stuff other than water. I've learned that the larger the backpack I have, the more stuff I carry and when your distance riding having more stuff is a bad thing.

Of course, that was before I got into geocaching. Now I have to bring along the GPS (bolted to the handlebar), maps with caches marked on them, my digital camera for benchmarking, a ziplock bag of trinkets for leaving at caches, travel bugs, my PDA full of Premium Member Pocket Queries, extra AA batteries, a headlamp for poking around in caves. . .

I'm going on a long ride next month (Pittsburgh to Washington DC) and plan on hitting nearly a dozen caches along the way. If this thread is still active perhaps I'll post my packing list for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

One thing that seems to be missing from this list is a good pair of leather gloves. I have geocached around bushes and cactus where these have been life savers.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

Heartily agree with you on that one! I do have a good pair of leather work gloves. Should stick them in the pack for those sticker bush hides in my area.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

quote:

One thing that seems to be missing from this list is a good pair of leather gloves. I have geocached around bushes and cactus where these have been life savers.

Heartily agree with you on that one! I do have a good pair of leather work gloves. Should stick them in the pack for those sticker bush hides in my area.

Nice long welding gloves work good too. Buy some cheap ones that you don't mind ruining.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:

It was mentioned, and early on too. You probably skimmed over it.

PHOTO item "G"

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

Don't forget toilet paper. icon_wink.gif

Toilet paper? TOILET PAPER??? We don't need no stinkin toilet paper. Why, when I was in the army, we didn't use toilet paper. We just tore off a page of the Army Times.

Geocachers don't need no stinkin toilet paper either. Smart ones use leaves and grass. Dumber ones use poison ivy.

Seriously, good call. It has not been mentioned. But I do carry two packs of toilet paper from the MRE accessory packs. They are small and easy to tuck away.

El Paso, Texas.

I agree with all of the above, but would also mention a collapsable walking stick. it fits in my ruck and is handy for scrambling up and down hills and poking under things before sicking my hand into places.

Just got back from El Centro, CA, and was very glad to have had it along.

quote:
Originally posted by Kordite:

I tend to ride my bicycle long distances. My bicycle used to look almost tree-like with water bottle racks hose-clamped to almost every conceivable surface. I finally got my own CamelBak. A MULE with a 3 liter capacity. The pack itself doesn't have as much space as yours but I chose it because it didn't have much space for stuff other than water. I've learned that the larger the backpack I have, the more stuff I carry and when your distance riding having more stuff is a bad thing.

Of course, that was before I got into geocaching. Now I have to bring along the GPS (bolted to the handlebar), maps with caches marked on them, my digital camera for benchmarking, a ziplock bag of trinkets for leaving at caches, travel bugs, my PDA full of Premium Member Pocket Queries, extra AA batteries, a headlamp for poking around in caves. . .

I am amazed at the amount of stuff I can hang on the front of my MULE. I got tired of hanging everything off of my jeans belt getting caught on everything and breaking several belt clips.

Here's a left and right shot of my MULE loaded up....

icon_eek.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

As well as the above listed items, I carry a GMRS/FRS radio which can be used in an emergency. I also read on the web site that FRS channel 2 is the unoffical Geocahing channel. I carry a radio/walkman to listen to. I am also licensed to carry a handgun which I carry, as well as a can of pepper spray to ward off unfriendly dogs/animals I may come accross. I always carry a compass and if possible, a map of the area I am geocaching in so that I can return to my vehicle should Mr. Murphy play with my GPS unit.

[This message was edited by brianmcm on May 22, 2003 at 01:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by brianmcm on May 22, 2003 at 01:17 PM.]

Got a new camera so I'm trying it out....

backpackcon.bmp?dc=4675424658262799733

a-Backpack

b-camo gps case

c-Magellan 315

d-Bushnell 10x compact binoculars

e-Mini-MagLite (AA)

f-Swiss Army Knife(grey because side broke off)

g-camelbak

h-camelbak resivoir

i-eraser

j-carabiner

k-notepad with pens+mechanical pencil

l-compass

m-batteries

n-folder with cache print offs,maps,etc.

o-a few ziplocks

p-bag of tradeble items

q-topographical maps

Not shown:digital camera and cell phone

p_rhp-3p-camo.jpg

If you are or know someone with access to the Air Force Exchange online catalog, this pack is on closeout at a dadgum good price.

Eagle Industries Recon ''Hydra Pak III'' System

Price Was...$159.00 Price Now...$79.47 Our low prices include delivery.

Save 50% off of original price!

Enough storage space for the day's essentials. This system offers you the best in hydration and functionality. The addition of an insulated 100 ounce reservoir with hydrolock delivery tube allows you to carry a clean supply of water.

Enough capacity for a 2-day excursion

Made from denier abrasion a

Water-resistant Cordura nylon using ¼:'' closes cell foam

3 Pockets

Top carry handle

Detachable, padded Coolmax-covered shoulder

Waist straps

Coolmax on back for coolness and comfort

Made in the U.S.

Color: Black

Size: 17"H x 9"W

Weight: approximately 2 pounds empty

Our low prices include delivery. For faster delivery, check box for priority mail.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

My pack is a Kelty Ricochet daypack.

Inside I usually carry:

Water

First Aid Kit

Skeeter spray

Knife

Pistol

Whistle

Matches

Space Blanket

Compass

Map

Sun glasses

Sun Screen

MRE

Rain Jacket

Rain Hat

25 feet of nylon rope

Spool of string

Digital Camera

Cell phone

FRS radio (channel #2)

Gloves

12 spare batteries

Trade goods for caches

Pens & Pencils

Power bars or similar food.

Printouts of caches I am looking for at the moment

GPS (of course)

I usually end up packing extra water and snacks for the kids as well when I am out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

Geesh. I'm having a serious case of backpack envy here. Am I the only one who travels light and quick of foot?

I shove a trade item in one front pocket. PDA in one back pocket -- digital camera in the other.

GPSV in my left hand and off I go.

If the distance to the cache is over a mile I might grab my canvas satchel and take a bottle of water and some extra batteries.

That's about it. Maybe it's just the area I live in but we don't have many caches which require over a mile round trip to complete. So carrying a backpack isn't really neccessary.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Geesh. I'm having a serious case of backpack envy here. Am I the only one who travels light and quick of foot?

I shove a trade item in one front pocket. PDA in one back pocket -- digital camera in the other.

GPSV in my left hand and off I go.

If the distance to the cache is over a mile I might grab my canvas satchel and take a bottle of water and some extra batteries.

That's about it. Maybe it's just the area I live in but we don't have many caches which require over a mile round trip to complete. So carrying a backpack isn't really neccessary.

Jolly R. Blackburn

Well, speaking for us Desert Rats.... it is 5 or more miles to EVERYTHING! And there isn't a 7-11 behind every Yucca plant. If you don't carry it with you, you will not have it. Hope you don't need it.

Many of you will notice I only have 11 finds. Don't let that influance anything. I have cached with many others, (after I found it), and gotten 8 new cachers started in the area. We have gone from 25 caches within 100 miles to over 75 caches within 100 miles. I have also hiked over 130 miles so far this year. I also have 20+ years experience backpacking - it was called the U. S. Army. icon_biggrin.gif

What does it all mean? Well, it means that I know what works for me here. YMMV, but it might work for you too. Dunno nothing about caching in a forest. icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Well, speaking for us Desert Rats.... it is 5 or more miles to EVERYTHING! And there isn't a 7-11 behind every Yucca plant. If you don't carry it with you, you will not have it. Hope you don't need it.

Hey I was stationed at Fort Bliss during the Army. One of my favorite duty stations. Spent a LOT of time on those tanks trails and out in the desert. Of course I didn't need an excuse like geocaching to go hiking back then. ;D

Ever been to Heuco Tanks? I used to spend a lot to time out there. Anyone put a cache there yet or is it off limits?

Jolly R. Blackburn

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Hey I was stationed at Fort Bliss during the Army. One of my favorite duty stations.

Hey, I used to live in Chicago. One of the few places I am likely to never go back to! icon_biggrin.gif Well, maybe when my folks die. But they can come visit me all winter long. Daley and Ryan.... you can have them!

quote:

Spent a LOT of time on those tanks trails and out in the desert. Of course I didn't need an excuse like geocaching to go hiking back then. ;D

Ever been to Heuco Tanks? I used to spend a lot to time out there. Anyone put a cache there yet or is it off limits?

Jolly R. Blackburn

Hueco tanks is all but closed. There is a severe limit on the number of people allowed in the park, and all must have a guide. The Tigua Indians put in a claim that it was their land. Anyone reading their history knows better, but still. In the agreement reached, climbing was all but outlawed, and only a few visitors are allowed in the park per day now. The days of camping and free hiking, much less climbing, are all but over!

I predict the park will soon close. They no longer bring in enough money to break even. The park service will not be able to justify keeping several rangers there without the income. The gates will be locked, and even the Tiguas will not be allowed to enter.

I think it is funny! Like Puerto Rico, be careful what you wish for. You might just get it! icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.