Hiking & Caching Tips

Fledermaus

Each and every time I go walking and/or hiking into the woods, whether it be to find a geocache or not, I take a walking stick, but not just any old walking stick. I use a metal one, presently it's made of aluminum. I find that it makes a unique sound whatever it strikes, for each type of cache container make it's own special sound.

In other words, you hear a metalic clink when it hits an ammo can, a hollow sort of thud when it hits a plastic container and a deep thunk when it hits wood. Many geocaches that you go looking for are either in, under or behind something, whether it be a tree, a rock, a bush, a stump, a log and so on.

Besides being useful in that manner, I use it to climb embankments, by placing it into the ground, when going up an incline by placing my foot on the uphill side of it. This prevents slipping back down the loosely pack dirt. This also works going back down an embankment as well.

Got your own geocaching and/or hiking tips?

Hmmmm....I just recently UNpacked my can of bug spray.....I replaced it with some chemical handwarmers...they seem a little more useful right now. :lol:

The forums contain a wealth of tips for beginners and veteran cachers/outdoors people alike. Check out this search query I did for some excellent advice.

The main one that I always try to remember and pass on is to mark your car as a waypoint and also (for those longer hunts) mark the point where you left the trail.

Bret

What's the best way to match up the trail maps for, say, a regional park area and the cache locations on the rather simple looking Geocache.com maps? We have been trying to plan cache hikes but often find ourselves on the wrong trail or having to double back because the GC maps don't show parallel trails.

This should really be it's own topic - you may want to start one based on this question. :)

As for the OP:

Always tell somebody where you are going. (The advice about marking your car is also invaluable).

My number one tip is ‘take a stick.’ The ski pole sounds like a good idea, but you don't run into a lot of cast off ski poles in Houston. I carry a yardstick that’s ¾" x ¾." I drilled a hole in one end for a wrist strap/lanyard.

Edited by Thot

As useful as the GPS is, electronics can fail for one reason or another. Bring a compass, even a cheap one and try to be aware of the general compass heading you start out on and which would be the most likely direction back to the vehicle or a road. Getting in is fun but getting out is far more important. And I always carry a walking stick for a dozen reasons... but mostly because it keeps me from falling down. :)

Thot and others,

Almost every Goodwill store I've visited, including those in the Rio Grande Valley have a few ski poles. I would really be surprised if the Goodwill and other thrift shops in Richmond and Rosenburg were exceptions.

I sharpened the tip of mine to make a snake stick; the web on the business end will capture the snake if the spear misses him.

Course, you don't have any snakes in Houston. . . <_<

Always carry a flashlight--even in daytime--so you don't have to reach into places that you couldn't look first.

Always carry toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

Always carry a compass and cell phone--just in case.

If your signal is not strong, hold the GPSr above the level of your head so your body does not block the signal.