Use Of Religeous Or Political Stickers In Logs

Hello-

I will soon find my 300th geocache in Central Oregon.

We have a distressing situation here that may need a comment to an individual from folks who do Geocaching.

A very active retired gentleman is pasting stickers in the log books stating "Geocaching - Family Values for a Stronger America".

Several of us have asked this individual to stop injecting his personal religious beliefs or political slogans into the game. This particular slogan is very offensive of a great many of us.

This individual does not express his political views in his web postings, but the political stickers continue to be pasted in the cache logs despite several personal requests over the last few weeks.

--A wise old Geocacher

Things that make you go hmmm.....

Hello-

We have a distressing situation here that may need a comment to an individual from folks who do Geocaching.

A very active retired  gentleman is pasting stickers in the log books stating "Geocaching - Family Values for a Stronger America".

Several of us have asked this individual to stop injecting his personal religious beliefs or political slogans into the game. This particular slogan is very offensive of a great many of us.

This individual does not express his political views in his web postings, but the political stickers continue to be pasted in the cache logs despite several personal requests over the last few weeks.

--A wise old Geocacher

Pot, meet kettle.

what happened in Oregon as hateful, discriminatory, bigotry....in singling out a group of people in Oregon to not have equal protection under the Oregon laws.

Because this law has no affect on me or mine....is not the issue. It's discriminatory, hateful, and very scary in a free society.

Yes, a select group of people making a claim that another person's words should be banned is scary all right. This is nuts. Look up the definition of discriminatory, hateful, scary and free society. Sounds like your the discriminatory, hateful,person against a free society.

I don't know how anyone can conclude that what HWyatt said in his post was discriminatory and hateful. From reading his post, I gather that he was asking the geocaching community a question: Is the community willing to explicitly allow political and religious opinions in the logs, knowing full well that these comments can be highly offensive to many people who merely want to enjoy geoching activities? Or should one of geocaching's simple rules be to refrain from doing this? HWyatt and others involved in geocaching have strong political and religious beliefs. And whether or not the geocacher who stamps "family values for a stronger America" has political and religious motivations, this phrase can certainly be viewed by many as politically and religiously motivated. Anyone who followed the past political season closely will not find it hard to attach political color to the the geocacher's chosen log signature. In my view, HWyatt was expressing his opinions in his post about something that he sees as a religiously and politically motivated comment in a log and which is offensive to him. He has no power to stop that geocacher's activities. Furthermore, he discusses the issue in this forum in a civil manner. He is not trying to exclude anyone from geocaching, much less trying to pass a law excluding certain members of the society from a certain activity, just discussing an issue relating to the general rules on how the game of geocaching should be played. How can what HWyatt said be taken as discriminatory and hateful?

People leave things in caches all the time that would be offensive to someone somewhere.

I've found tarot cards, rainbow stickers, a small silver cross necklace, references to the goddess (goddess bless america) in a cache log, campaign pins, and military challenge coins.

Each of these things could be construed as offensive if you try hard enough. Bottom line is this....We each leave a small part of our personality in a cache when we visit. Thats one thing that makes caching so cool, the diversity of our community.

It isn't like this person is slamming anyone here. he's leaving a small part of himself in the log. Big deal.

Andy, what you don't understand is that there are who spend their lives looking for reasons to be offended.

“We have two kinds of morality side by side: one which we preach but do not practice and another which we practice but seldom preach.” ~Bertrand Russell

If ya ask me, the guy placing the stickers touting “family values” is the same guy that goes home, beats the crap out of his wife, rapes his children and later gets together with his “buddies” to suffocate a few gerbils in an unspeakable orifice just for fun.

By now, don’t we all realize that the ones who preach morality the loudest also have the most dirt to hide?

Don’t let it bother you, there are better things to worry about.

Hello-

A very active retired  gentleman is pasting stickers in the log books stating "Geocaching - Family Values for a Stronger America".

--A wise old Geocacher

Pot, meet kettle.

Why does my post say Ringbone? :lol::o:D:o

Hello-

--A wise old Geocacher

Pot, meet kettle.

Why does my post say Ringbone? :lol::o:D:o

LOL :D

“We have two kinds of morality side by side: one which we preach but do not practice and another which we practice but seldom preach.” ~Bertrand Russell

Or

The community which dares not protect its humblest and most hated member in the free utterance of his opinions, no matter how false or hateful, is only a gang of slaves. If there is anything in the universe that can’t stand discussion, let it crack. - Wendell Phillips

I will take the wording on the sticker in question at face value. I have neither the time nor the inclination to research every phrase or concept that I hear in case it has a seditious secondary meaning to some group, somewhere. I have always had a strong dislike of that practice of re-assigning word meanings to avoid any kind of controversy. You know what I mean - it's called "PC".....

Every once and a while a topic comes along that makes me want to rip off my own arm and beat myself with because THAT actually seems more logical.

"When they came for the gypsies, I did not speak, for I am not

a gypsy. When they came for the Jews, I did not speak, because I

wasn't a Jew. When they came for the Catholics, I did not speak, for I

am not a Catholic. And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak."

On the Wall at the Holocaust Museum in Washington

Do us all a favor and don't compare a sticker in a logbook to a holocaust. Talk about offensive. :lol::o

[edit: self modded]

Edited by JMBella
Such a shame, Jeremy Irish, to politicize the game.

Did you just try and shame me for what you perceive to be my beliefs?

BTW, if you step back and look at my comments, I was in no way being political. In fact, I was doing the exact opposite: Trying to create an opportunity for us to take back a few words that have been abused on both sides of the aisle.

I'm not sure what is wrong with a strong family. I certainly appreciate that my parents stayed together and raised me as a couple. I was one of the lucky ones. Should I be ashamed for that?

From reading his post, I gather that he was asking the geocaching community a question: Is the community willing to explicitly allow political and religious opinions in the logs, knowing full well that these comments can be highly offensive to many people who merely want to enjoy geoching activities? Or should one of geocaching's simple rules be to refrain from doing this?

Wow. Do you folks want rules or do you not want rules?

What do you mean by explicit? How do you bring this message to the masses? Do you make this a new guideline (that, by the way, is already there)? How do you enforce it?

I can answer the enforcement question. You can't. In fact my first post already noted that. Do I want hateful material in caches, religious messages in caches, items promoting a social agenda in caches? Absolutely not. Again, its already in the guidelines (and ironically I've been bashed about it over the last 2 days in another thread). Can you stop it? No.

Ya know... I consider myself to be highly conservative, but have no problem with anyone believing anything they want. I am a single dad who has found that geocaching has helped me promote family values. I get to spend quality time with my children and will always cherish those moments. Maybe the guy leaving the stickers means it in a way that many of us don't but for me, and my children, we believe that if everyone just took the time to get away from the TV, video games and computers and spent some quality time together talking while out geocaching we might just have a stronger America.

That's a great post. It's the key reason why I've stuck with this over the years.

what happened in Oregon as hateful, discriminatory, bigotry....in singling out a group of people in Oregon to not have equal protection under the Oregon laws.

Because this law has no affect on me or mine....is not the issue. It's discriminatory, hateful, and very scary in a free society.

Yes, a select group of people making a claim that another person's words should be banned is scary all right. This is nuts. Look up the definition of discriminatory, hateful, scary and free society. Sounds like your the discriminatory, hateful,person against a free society.

I don't know how anyone can conclude that what HWyatt said in his post was discriminatory and hateful. From reading his post, I gather that he was asking the geocaching community a question: Is the community willing to explicitly allow political and religious opinions in the logs, knowing full well that these comments can be highly offensive to many people who merely want to enjoy geoching activities? Or should one of geocaching's simple rules be to refrain from doing this? HWyatt and others involved in geocaching have strong political and religious beliefs. And whether or not the geocacher who stamps "family values for a stronger America" has political and religious motivations, this phrase can certainly be viewed by many as politically and religiously motivated. Anyone who followed the past political season closely will not find it hard to attach political color to the the geocacher's chosen log signature. In my view, HWyatt was expressing his opinions in his post about something that he sees as a religiously and politically motivated comment in a log and which is offensive to him. He has no power to stop that geocacher's activities. Furthermore, he discusses the issue in this forum in a civil manner. He is not trying to exclude anyone from geocaching, much less trying to pass a law excluding certain members of the society from a certain activity, just discussing an issue relating to the general rules on how the game of geocaching should be played. How can what HWyatt said be taken as discriminatory and hateful?

Seabound:

Thank you, you are correct, in what you say about my intents.

"Family Values" as it has been used in Oregon has come to mean discrimination against a group of people. Many Oregonians with families, with children, find this twisting of the term "family values" offensive. Because what we have seen it means in Oregon, is that those who yell "family values" are really for hate, bigotry, discrimination against gays. While the law passed in Oregon does not affect me or mine in anyway, I feel it is my reponsibility as a parent and a citizen to speak out about it, as I don't think hate and dicrimination is a family value and further I think it is bad for our state & our country.

But I do NOT think it is my place to do this speaking in a geocache. Or even on this forum for that matter.

I do agree it is hard if not impossible to police cache logs. Several of you have have mentioned this are correct. I see the problem. What I really wanted was clarification in what is appropriate to leave in a log. It seems political/religious stuff is okay.

The way I got into geocaching was because I was so tired of all the hate and bitterness in our country, following the election, I turned to the outdoors for relief, by "adopting" some BLM land near our home. I thought it would be fun to walk the land, pick up trash, see mom nature thru the seasons. The BLM person I worked with mentioned a gps would be a good thing to have and I decided to get one.

Doing my research lead me to this site. It seemed like such a fun idea to treasure hunt, fun, positive, family-oriented for my spouse and our kids...no politics, no religion, no ads. I was excited.

The finding of a religious/political "ad" in the logs....did offend me. For those of you who think my taking offense is hypocritical, censorious, etc. I apologize. I did not make myself clear. I'm all for families, I have one. I'm all for free speech, I'm for a strong America. But I have my own opinions how to go about doing this and I wouldn't for a minute put my political, religious views in your log...for you or others to read....as I don't think it's appropriate. And I guess I thought it wasn't what I would find in a geo-cache. I don't want to make the geo-caching anymore difficult then it is already (I've been reading the Texas thread...)

Some of you think I am making mountains out of molehills, by being offended by the statement and offering support when the subject was brought up. Perhaps I am, you're probably right. Hate, our Constitution is something I do feel strongly about and it's mostly because I am a parent and worry about the world my kids will grow up in. I saw too much racial hate in my childhood and had hoped the USA had moved past hate of those who are different. Again I apologize to this forum for inserting my concerns. I agree with you who say "its just a game, mellow out." Of course I should. Ack. The lingering effects of a divisive election. I will be better from now on.

So, can we put this to an end and move on? We will agree to disagree. I will keep my political/religious beliefs out of all caches and all logs...and try to not be offended at others who don't.

Bottom line: It is just a game and a darn fun one at that.

HWyatt

It seems political/religious stuff is okay.

Some may feel that way but I don't. There was a discussion long ago about what to do if you find religious tracts in caches. I indicated that I trade them out of a cache. I don't think that geocaching is the place for any social agenda and I get burned for my convictions quite often.

However I'm not naive enough to think that this could possibly be enforced, so I tolerate it. But it is enforced in the guidelines.

I don't live in Oregon so I don't have the same feeling of hatred towards family values that some seem to have. I enjoyed a stable household. I'm trying to think of another rather innocent phrase that has been abused in the past and come up empty. Are there any other examples?

From reading his post, I gather that he was asking the geocaching community a question:  Is the community willing to explicitly allow political and religious opinions in the logs, knowing full well that these comments can be highly offensive to many people who merely want to enjoy geoching activities?  Or should one of geocaching's simple rules be to refrain from doing this?

Wow. Do you folks want rules or do you not want rules?

What do you mean by explicit? How do you bring this message to the masses? Do you make this a new guideline (that, by the way, is already there)? How do you enforce it?

I can answer the enforcement question. You can't. In fact my first post already noted that. Do I want hateful material in caches, religious messages in caches, items promoting a social agenda in caches? Absolutely not. Again, its already in the guidelines (and ironically I've been bashed about it over the last 2 days in another thread). Can you stop it? No.

Uh, just who are you referring to when you say "you folks"?

Even geocaching has guidelines, no? This forum has guidelines, no? geocaching.com has a long list posted (longer than I would expect for something which is supposed to be a "light, fun activity") :

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

And the fine print says: "...caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, or social agendas may not be listed. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda."

Like you said, enforcement is impossible, and surely it's much much easier for an administrator to censor posts in this forum. But when geocachers such as the original poster of this thread speak out about what he/she perceives to be something which is politically or religiously motivated in a log, then I don't know why that kind of post should elicit some of the strong and obviously partisan responses that it has. Like you say, what she is speaking out about is already in the guidelines. So what's the fuss all about, and why is this thread turning nasty?

So, can we put this to an end and move on? We will agree to disagree. I will keep my political/religious beliefs out of all caches and all logs...and try to not be offended at others who don't.

Here, here, HWyatt! Somebody lock this thread already!

Edited by Seabound

Gee, the guy is supporting family values and a stronger America, we must hang him from the highest tree forsuch sentiments! :lol:

Come on! It's his signature item, and I really don't see what's so wrong about it.

Family Values, gee, maybe the guy spends time with his family while caching, gee, time with the kids, getting healthy exercize, maybe teaching them about the great outdoors having time to talk to them, where's the problem!

Stronger America, gee, like a weker America is better? Maybe we should relax and let the terrorists attack us any time they feel like it?

Let it and him, be.

Counter point 1:

HWyatt asked for a discussion and there is a discussion. Why you are not happy about this? Because not everyone is bowing at your collective feet?

Counter point 2:

Why bother with paper logs at all if you constantly have to worry about maybe possibly offending someone somewhere someday somehow because THEY have misconstrued what YOUR intentions are in writing something? This is simply ridiculous to expect anyone to be able to hold up to that standard. So just deal with it and move on.

Just out of curiosity, when any of you who know this cacher have emailed them, did you get any response back? How did you word your email... based on what I am reading here I'm guessing something along the lines of "You dirty, whitesheet-wearing scumbag, stop FORCING your bigoted beliefs on me by posting that sticker in logbooks at caches I visit!" If so, and you're wondering why you didn't get a response, well... duh. I have actually SEEN this behavior outside of gc.com, where people are all sweet when they go to the group, but flame broil the individual. I'd really like to know how the group first approached this matter.

Also, have any of you 'in the know' asked him to join in this conversation? Or were you all hoping to gang up on him in the forums without his being aware that he is being attacked? And yes, you are attacking his character, by associations YOU have made.

But when geocachers such as the original poster of this thread speak out about what he/she perceives to be something which is politically or religiously motivated in a log, then I don't know why that kind of post should elicit some of the strong and obviously partisan responses that it has.

So when they started this thread you thought everyone here was going to agree with a certin point of view. :lol:

Ok.. it's time to wake up now. :o

And the fine print says: "...caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, or social agendas may not be listed. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda."

I like when people use snippets of the guidelines to reinforce their position without first reading it. That phrase refers to caches, not cache logs.

I've found some items in logs and caches I didn't agree with. Did it ruin my day? No.

Times too short to get worked up over such trivial drivel.

I'm always amazed at the number of folks on forums (fora?) who search for reasons to be offended.

I'm NOT religious, but I see the statement as being entirely secular.

Perhaps the topic starter can tell us which words in that sentence are religious in nature.

Is it possible that the topic was started just to start an argument? Sort of like the posts seen on other forums that ask, "I'm a [insert your own noun]. Will you accept me in your group?"

Oh man I am dying here. I can't say anything about this because Mopar is going to have to agree with me and that can't happen until after the end of this year. :lol:

I'm trying to think of another rather innocent phrase that has been abused in the past and come up empty. Are there any other examples?

Not a phrase really but the swastika was a symbol used since the earliest days of Christianity. You can still see it in many stain-glass windows and tile work in churches that are a couple hundred years old in Europe. Well at least the ones that did make it through the war.

Like you said, enforcement is impossible, and surely it's much much easier for an administrator to censor posts in this forum.  But when geocachers such as the original poster of this thread speak out about what he/she perceives to be something which is politically or religiously motivated in a log, then I don't know why that kind of post should elicit some of the strong and obviously partisan responses that it has.  Like you say, what she is speaking out about is already in the guidelines. So what's the fuss all about, and why is this thread turning nasty?

Because, the exact same person that somehow thinks a sticker that says geocaching promotes family values is too political to use in the log book has no problems with:

I picked up the TB and left a Kerry for President button. Thanks for showing us this nice little spot, down by the riverside!

--Baron Max sans family, avec friends

If I were Baron Max, I would lock this thread and quietly crawl back under my rock. It's obvious this thread is a crock of SH**, and they are NOT offended by political stuff in the cache.

Edited by Mopar
Every once and a while a topic comes along that makes me want to rip off my own arm and beat myself with because THAT actually seems more logical.

"When they came for the gypsies, I did not speak, for I am not

a gypsy. When they came for the Jews, I did not speak, because I

wasn't a Jew. When they came for the Catholics, I did not speak, for I

am not a Catholic. And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak."

On the Wall at the Holocaust Museum in Washington

Do us all a favor and don't compare a sticker in a logbook to a holocaust. Talk about offensive. :lol::o

[edit: self modded]

I second that! :D

I've been ignoring this thread, because I'm always poised and ready to take offense at political or religious proselytizing where it doesn't belong and I wasn't up for the moodkill, but...you gotta be kidding me! "Geocaching - Family Values for a Stronger America"?? So, what..."family" is religious and "America" is political, or the other way around or...? Or is this person caching in Turkey or something...?

Or are "family values" and "a stronger America" the exclusive property of one party or religion? That would be worrying. I might have to convert to something :lol:

Like you said, enforcement is impossible, and surely it's much much easier for an administrator to censor posts in this forum.  But when geocachers such as the original poster of this thread speak out about what he/she perceives to be something which is politically or religiously motivated in a log, then I don't know why that kind of post should elicit some of the strong and obviously partisan responses that it has.  Like you say, what she is speaking out about is already in the guidelines. So what's the fuss all about, and why is this thread turning nasty?

Because, the exact same person that somehow thinks a sticker that says geocaching promotes family values is too political to use in the log book has no problems with:

I picked up the TB and left a Kerry for President button. Thanks for showing us this nice little spot, down by the riverside!

--Baron Max sans family, avec friends

If I were Baron Max, I would lock this thread and quietly crawl back under my rock. It's obvious this thread is a crock of SH**, and they are NOT offended by political stuff in the cache.

Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner.

Actually, he may be offended by political stuff - the political stuff he doesn't agree with.

I'm sorry - that's a common phrase and just because some people somewhere used it some way you didn't like doesn't mean that's its common accepted meaning. The Klan has flown the American Flag and most people don't find that flag to be a symbol of racism.

sd

So, what..."family" is religious and "America" is political, or the other way around or...? Or is this person caching in Turkey or something...?

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that in Oregon it's a well known slogan against gay people, and many people including families don't want to identify 'family values' with something discriminatig a certain group of people. Not sure why you think it would be more offensive explicitly in Turkey.

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that in Oregon it's a well known slogan against gay people, and many people including families don't want to identify 'family values' with something discriminatig a certain group of people.

It would be foolish, if true. Gay couples are working hard to promote themselves as a legitimate sort of family, I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough from a PR standpoint to acknowledge that "family values" excludes them.

Not sure why you think it would be more offensive explicitly in Turkey.

Because it is a country that is not America. I typed "Bolivia" originally, then realized they wouldn't be geographically aversed to a stronger America, being a flavor of America themselves.

...If ya ask me, the guy placing the stickers touting “family values” is the same guy that goes home, beats the crap out of his wife, rapes his children and later gets together with his “buddies” to suffocate a few gerbils in an unspeakable orifice just for fun.

By now, don’t we all realize that the ones who preach morality the loudest also have the most dirt to hide?...

And yet the family values is a good standard. It's not devalued by who speaks it, it's devalued by who hears it.

Morality is a good thing regardless of the fact that nobody is perfect.

The signature sticker is fine. And if the need arises can actually be used for good things.

Now, Since the baron decided to start a rock fight inside a greenhouse, I am seriously offended by the commercial nature of his cache hides.

It is well stocked with outdoor goodies and, for a lucky person, 1,000 free hours of AOL with the purchase of a long-term contract.

Have an R&B root beer soda in Prineville on your way home

I think he should be hung from his toenails and made to watch Ronald Reagan movies as punishment. Also, this is off topic, but Baron, most of your cache hides are clearly offset caches and are mislabeled as traditionals. As punishment for that, I hearby sentence you to 50 cache finds using only a Cobra GPS.

Regardless of whether the slogan has been used by one party or another... you cannot police a phrase that doesn't even say anything negative. You can imply that there is something negative in the intent, but not in the phrase itself... and you cannot police intent (or thought).

It would be different if this person was leaving a Bible verse such as Leviticus 20:13 everywhere they went. In today's society that would be considered intolerance.

If someone started a movement against a minority group and "Don't Worry Be Happy" was their slogan... should we then regulate the phrase "Don't Worry Be Happy"?

...It would be different if this person was leaving a Bible verse such as Leviticus 20:13 everywhere they went. In today's society that would be considered intolerance....

Some people confuse tolerance for acceptance.

My son is 15. I tolerate his stupid behavior but I do my best to guide him back to the truth path which in is case is something other than a bottom heavy report card.

If someone started a movement against a minority group and "Don't Worry Be Happy" was their slogan... should we then regulate the phrase "Don't Worry Be Happy"?

Hmmm... That phrase makes me think of Jamaica (and yes, I know Bobby Mcferrin was born in NYC). Jamaicans makes me think of marijuana. Marijuana is an illegal drug.

OMG! "Don't worry, be happy" is really promoting drug use! Call the FCC!

If ya ask me, the guy placing the stickers touting “family values” is the same guy that goes home, beats the crap out of his wife, rapes his children and later gets together with his “buddies” to suffocate a few gerbils in an unspeakable orifice just for fun.

By now, don’t we all realize that the ones who preach morality the loudest also have the most dirt to hide?

Don’t let it bother you, there are better things to worry about.

Why is it that you feel that you can make a generalization such as this one, yet if I did the same thing from the opposite end of the spectrum and used words like glory holes or tossing salad it would probably be too offensive for your delicate sensibilities?

Yes, I admit on behalf of the entire heterosexual community that we have gerbil parties when you are not looking, and pretend to be wholesome and moral the rest of the time. Feel better now?

Are you a NUT case???????????????????? I mean what is political or relegious about:

A very active retired gentleman is pasting stickers in the log books stating "Geocaching - Family Values for a Stronger America".

I guess your a bit over sensitive. I don't think my most liberal friends would find any thing wrong with this statement, and they are from BOULDER CO the last baston of socialism in the U.S. Sorry if I offende you by mentining the UNITED STATES. Shees get real. What is wrong with a family spending time together looking for tupperware in the woods. My family loves it and we have a good time doing it, and we become all the better for it. UGH some people are so THIN skinned or maybe you just a TROLL under a bridge I don't know but this is the lamest post I have seen. GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers