Quick...i Need Christmas Ideas

River_Rat

Yeah yeah yeah i know its a little late to start xmas shopping....but what can I say, I enjoy a challenge.

My question for the great throbbing brain is simply this: What do you get the cacher that has everything (already has cache bag, multiple GPSr's, lots of spare cache containers....)?

I'm out of time to do any online ordering, so any gadgets or things that can be found at a store would be good.

How about making a home-made Caching Coupon book.

"One free Satuday of Geocaching"

"One free hiking boot cleaning"

"One day of complaining free companion geocaching"

... you get the idea

Or a certificate for a weekend stay at a ranch or a lodge not to far away where there are some caches in the area that he/she has not found yet.

Trying to be creative. Hope this helps.

I'm giving a geocaching friend an ammo box full of brand new trade stuff, pencils/sharpener, a log book and a laminated cache note. You could get everything except the cache note at the Dollar tree if you go for a cheaper plastic box, but I'd take the time to hit the surplus store.

I did that for my dad last year. For added effect, I hid the ammo can under a bush in the desert and wrote the coordinates down in a Christmas card.

It was quite a hit. :lol:

Design a signature geocoin, get a hundred made. Sure you wont have it for Xmas but in a nice envelope, put in a copy of the design.. I think it was zwcoins.com can make em.

a jacket with their geocaching name embroidered on it.

With 1,000 caches to their name.. I would be hard pressed to think of what they dont have.

I did that for my dad last year. For added effect, I hid the ammo can under a bush in the desert and wrote the coordinates down in a Christmas card.

Wow...! What a great idea.

I also liked the idea of a big stockpile of AA batteries. That would be dream gift. Flashlights, mabye a couple TB tags, trail mix, and throw in the lodge tickets....and be sure to invite me. I could use some of that stuff, too!

For my birthday, a friend gave me lots of hiking accessories, bite kit, light sticks, repellant, etc. She hid them in the woods along a lovely river bank and created a cache page that looked exactly like a gc.com page. I got to go out and seek my own gifts, and the game was the best part of the package!

I see that someone suggested creating a cache in your recipient's name . I Did that too. Check this out.

A fun idea can be as much, if not more, fun than getting stuff.

Someone mentioned about putting a cache in their name. That sounds like a great idea. Stockpile it with a bunch of stuff for caching and give them the coordinates in a card as someone mentioned. Then all they gotta do is submit the cache and it will be a cache for the site as well. Make it a Christmas themed one.

Very good socks. I mean, very good socks.

Yep, it sounds crazy, but it's true! Good socks are welcome above a certain age, LOL. My favorites are called "Smart Wool" socks. The ones I prefer are HERE.

AA batteries are always welcome -- or better yet, a good set of Rechargeable batteries!

Perhaps a headlamp for the night runs? That's on MY list right now!

Good luck!

Yep, it sounds crazy, but it's true!  Good socks are welcome above a certain age, LOL.  My favorites are called "Smart Wool" socks.  The ones I prefer are HERE.

Ach! Another one! Used to be Smart Wool, now I think Bridgedale's are his favorites (check out the Science of Socks while you're there).

dadgum near gone bankrupt feeding Uncle Badger's sock fetish.

Conversation last week:

me: "I know what you can get me for Christmas."

my co-crab: "What?"

me: "Socks."

co-crab: "You're setting yourself up for a pretty boring Christmas..."

me: "Not just any socks --"

and from there I launch into a list of all the qualities the socks must have, from marterials to thickness to tightness to wicking ability, and before I was done, he backed off warily and said "I think you're going to have to buy them yourself."

Arg, they're so expensive... I found some reasonable (relatively speaking) prices at The Sock Company, and ended up ordering 15 pairs, each one a different style or brand. Fun fun fun.

Yeah yeah yeah i know its a little late to start xmas shopping....but what can I say, I enjoy a challenge.

My question for the great throbbing brain is simply this: What do you get the cacher that has everything (already has cache bag, multiple GPSr's, lots of spare cache containers....)?

I'm out of time to do any online ordering, so any gadgets or things that can be found at a store would be good.

Its not out of time to do online ordering. Amazon.com delivers within 2 days and so do most online retailers.

Most of the stuff geocachers use is kinda personalized. That is, I would prefer to make my own decisions on most of it (boots, packs, hiking poles, GPS, PDA, etc.) Not that I wouldn't appreciate the thoughtful person who cared enough to give the gift.

But, in the spirit of the holidays (and the fact that I love making lists)...

• A compass. A seasoned geocacher should always carry one if they are doing anything higher than a 2/2. No need to get a super expensive compass. A $20 compass is nearly as good as a $100 compass as far as our little game is concerned.
  • Paper quads of their area. ($8)
  • Registered copies of CacheMate and/or GSAK. ($8 - $20)
  • A pair of UGG boots. They're in style now (not like 15 years ago when I got a pair for Mrs. Okie). ($125)
  • 18V Dewalt cordless drill (OK, that's for me, but I imagine any geocacher worth their weight in Tupperware would put one to good use) ($150)
  • Hydration pack (CamelBak, Platypus) ($40)
  • Good socks. Believe me, I would appreciate 5 pairs of Thorlos or SmartWool socks. ($12-$14/pair)
  • A set of Husky liners for their vehicle for when they get back in after one of those muddy treks across a swollen creek. ($100)
  • A massage (at a spa). ($75-$150)
  • A gift certificate to REI or Cabelas.
  • A quality multi-tool. I prefer the Gerber, but the defacto standard is the Leatherman. ($40 and up)
  • Wifi detector keychain. For when you have to log into GC.com to get more details and you have your laptop in the back seat. ($25)
  • Permission to buy a new Jeep. ($Priceless)
  • A hard case for their PDA. ($25)
  • A stamp with their logo on it for stamping the next 1000 geocaches. ($20)