A Thought.....

campermama

I hook up to GPS units all the time with a serial cable and transfer waypoints, routes etc.

This topic raises the question -- can you do this betweeen to GPS 60's via USB?

I don't know much about USB or if a null modem of sorts and be fashioned as with Serial.

But I do recall seeing a cable that lets two Pockect PC's communicate via USB a while back.

If I get some xtra $$$ for Christmas I'm going to buy a USB to serial adapter anyway so I can use my GPS with my laptop. I WILL try to hook my PDA to my GPS just for kicks. I understand it's not supposed to work, but I've had other things that don't work with computers work great over the years too. And if it doesn't, no surprise, but I'm not about to underestimate good old fashioned dumb luck! :o

Here is what I do with mine and just so you know it only works with Garmin software.

Garmin map 60 and a notebook computer linked to each other with the USB cable.

Mapsource product installed on notebook computer.

Turn on your gps and your notebook. Open your mapsource product on your notebook and start driving.

What do you have? Real time tracking on your notebook.

Answer is YES. USB does work in this scenario and only with Garmin software.

It will work with any other software and also with a PDA if you use the 4pin Garmin to Serial/power cord which are widely available.

IT DOES WORK WITH USB . ONLY WITH GARMIN SOFTWARE THOUGH any other software needs to been used with serial.

So may I suggest that before you bore us and say that it does not work that you actually try it first before giving out false info.

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

Relax Yukon Cornelius.

The original poster was referring to flash memory storage devices. Clearly, your USB equipped PC can connect to your USB equipped GPSr. :o

So may I suggest that before you bore us and say that it does not work that you actually try it first before giving out false info.

That's good advice. ;)

Dblink