best time to cache

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Tower247:

Has anyone thought about making prediction tables for optimal satellite constelation times? Seems like they'd have something like that along with the best time to hunt & fish accessories.

K.I.S.S.

The satellites seem to move rather rapidly. If we start out with lousy geometry, by the time we reach the cache things have usually changed.

Thanks for re-railing my thread!

Those are just what I was asking about. Has anyone used them?

I doubt that it would dramatically improve the successful hunt rate. I thought this might make another fun hi-tech toy to play with in my arsenal.

K.I.S.S.

Our GPS birds are not geostationary. They are on different orbits,cris-crossing overhead all the time. I'm still researching but a guess would be that there could be ,say, 8 to 15 visible on my side of the horizon, always coming and going. If planning a trip into tree cover, knowing a time when all 15 are there might make a difference in even getting a signal. Does anyone know if these planning tools go by just the number of sats that should be visible, or do they also figure optimal spread or health of the satellites?

K.I.S.S.

I'd like to mention that there are two locations for every cache. The one the hider recorded and the one you are looking for. The numbers are the same but the actual location can vary greatly.

Even if you use a surveyors GPSr with 2cm accuracy, unless the hider used one as well, the cache container could be almost anywhere. So it goes with satellite geometry.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I love getting up before the break of day to avoid traffic. (I live in the Chicago area). I like to plan my day of hunting and then drive to the one FURTHERST away first. That way it's daylight when I arrive.

Then I work my way home by hitting the next cache and then the next. By the time I'm dragging butt, mosquito bit and hungry I'm only a few miles from home.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."