How Do You Carry Yours?

Team Onebrow

I find that reception is lost in pretty much any pocket I try to put my GPSr into. So, I do one of three things. If my hands are free, I cary it. If I am wearing a backpack, I clip it onto my shoulder strap up high, near my chin or ear. When my hands are busy and I'm not wearing my backpack, I clip it onto a strap on my fanny pack where it does not get pinched or nudged around if I bend over.

...I suggest you don't use a belt-clip. A friend of mine lost his brand-new (1 day old) Garmin 60 last weekend, when it came of the belt-clip on a hike...

I tried the belt clip on my 60CS a couple of times and then decided "never again!". The belt clip leaves the gpsr screen facing all the objects I bump into when rummaging through the trees and brush. Not long before that screen would be scrached or broken.

I also use the zippered pouch on my belt and always put the gpsr in it with the screen facing me. I also find that the gpsr will give a relatively accurate track record while it is riding in the pouch.

At the Portland Cache Machine I saw moun10bike and several others using the gc.com neck strap so I bought one.

My concern was how to prevent the gpsr from flanging around and bumping into scratchy things while rooting out caches. I did not come up with anything so the strap sits in the bottom of my cache-tech bag. Any ideas on this out there?

My concern was how to prevent the gpsr from flanging around . . . Any ideas on this out there?

Yes. Any time you have something on a neck strap, traditionally binoculars or cameras, they are readily stabalized by an elastic band around your chest and over the binoculars, camera or GPSr. It really works quite well and is quite simple. Camera and binocular "harneses" are common. It should be easy to make a GPSr equivalent.

Yes. Any time you have something on a neck strap, traditionally binoculars or cameras, they are readily stabalized by an elastic band around your chest...

Thanks.

I suppose also that I could get clever with a belt-like web strap instead of elastic so it would fit different clothing options without feeling like it was squeezing me. With a few additional plastic clips like the ones that come with the gc.com strap I could rig up a system that would allow the gpsr to clip to the chest strap while still being clipped to the neck strap. Then I could simply clip and unclip the gpsr to the chest strap. Probably too much work, probably won't do it.

I cannot figure out how to post any pics to the message board yet.

I can tell you that I attach a spring type clip to my GPS with a small zip tie. I use this to attach to my lanyard so that I do not have to worry about loosing the lanyard clip when I disconnect the gps. I also wear a GPS pouch from GPS Outfitters. It has a large velcro pocket to keep your gps in and even has a rain cover that you can use to really keep it closed it you need it. It has a net pocket on each side that we keep a flashlight, pen, sharpie marker, chapstick this time of year, and just some other bits. It also has a zippered front pocket and a net pouch on front of that. We keep band-aids and other first aid bits and even a few small items for trade for that spur of the moment caching.

The spring clip makes it easy to take the GPS off and stick it in the pouch that has a belt loop on it. This way it is safe when I go in after the cache. It does really well for us. Till I learn how to put pics on here all I can offer are the pics I stuffed on the top of my personal geocities site. The pics are the top 4 on the page.

My Webpage

I hope this helps some.

pic1.jpg

Edited by WolfnWendy
I could rig up a system that would allow the gpsr to clip to the chest strap while still being clipped to the neck strap.  Then I could simply clip and unclip the gpsr to the chest strap.  Probably too much work, probably won't do it.

- I giant rubber band would work fine.

- More often than not, I just clip the sternum strap of my backpack across my camera or binocular, or across the strap just above them.

- Anything that fits around your middle and can be slipped across your GPSr (or even just the strap right above your GPSr) should be sufficent to keep it from moving around obnoxiously.

If the strap is not attached to your backpack, like a sternum strap, a bit of elasticity keeps it from falling down loose.

Heck, one of the camera harneses I used years ago was little more that a nylon strap connected into a loop with a couple rubber bands that provided the elasticity and slipped over the camera to hold it against my chest.

Here is one person's solution that is probably a lot heavier duty that you would need, but the idea is certainly well developed.

Good luck

I use my hand or zippered pocket.  I suggest you don't use a belt-clip.  A friend of mine lost his brand-new (1 day old) Garmin 60 last weekend, when it came of the belt-clip on a hike.  :cool: 

Thanks to the help of another cacher (Snurt) who searched the area for hours and found it, he got it back.  B)  You can read about it here.

I'm reminded of the time I took my younger brother to get his first suit, The old world tailor asked him "how do you dress?" I had to translate it. B)

Back OT-the screws for the clips are not tightly attached to the 60c's from the factory. I had the same slippage probem with mine, and lost the screw, but not my unit. They quickly sent a replacement belt clip and screw knob. I made sure it was secure. But most of the time I do not use the belt clip as it is too bulky. I carry it in my hand and put it in pocket when not in use. I almost always wear cargo pants for caching. I also bought some screen protectors for it as well. They last a good long while.

I was at the hardware store and found a nice holder for my new cell phone made my Nite Ize. I really like the clip and there is room for a pen, flashlight, credit cards etc. I've seen similar holders made by others, by I must say that this is the best I've ever used. The phone holder would probably work great with the Garmins.

While browsing their website, I notice they also have GPS holsters, PDA holsters and Pocket PC holsters. I've always carried my Meridian Gold in my hand or pocket (Magellans don't lose signal in pocket), but now I think that this GPS holster may be just the ticket, since I've never really found a decent holder for the Merigold. If it works half as well as the phone holster, I'll be happy. I like the way it stands up, making it good for averaging out a new hide.

all products

phone holder

GPS holder

Edited by cachew nut

A friend of mine used locktite on the knob on the back of his 60CS. It never came loose again, but the knob on the back of his 60CS broke off and took half of the back with it. Happily Garmin replaced the GPS. Now he uses a neck strap. I have used the knob/holster setup and have had to change my screen protectors frequently because of all the sharp branches etc it has come in contact with. I now use a phone holster most of the time.

:cool:

For my Magellan Sportrak Map I snagged the neoprene case that comes with the pro. The thing I keep reading is that Magellan still gets a good fix regardless of it's orientation (i.e. Garmin's need to be kept flat, etc.). The belt clip works pretty good for me, since I set a proximity alarm to notify me when I am close.

And FYI: I picked it up at Galyan's for $69 after rebates. They are getting bought by Dick's sporting good and have a few for 50% off.....

Carry my 60CS like this:

I like the clip and lanyard combination (even if clipped onto a shirt pocket or pack strap) for the convenience of clipping and the security of the lanyard.

I don't trust the clip and I recall the story of one local who lost his using only the clip, so I decided to go with the laynard and carabiner. The laynard is just long enough that I don't have unclip it to look at the display..

I've tried a few different things with the following observations:

1. The garmin neoprene jacket I bought for for my Vista is nice to look at, but on wet days or when snow melts on it the additional layer of plastic over the screen almost always gets obscured by condensation, making it useless. So I use the Vista "naked".

2. Most of the time I don't really want to be holding the GPS out in front of me - I'd rather be looking around and taking in the sights. So I want the GPS up and out of the way, but still tracking satellites.

3. I want to be able to get at the GPS quickly and put it back quickly.

4. I want the GPS safe so it isn't bouncing off of rock walls or dipping into mud as I search.

I recently bought a Kelty backpack that has these wide (>1 inch) elastic straps, two on each shoulder strap, up near the top. They happen to be just stretchy enough to slide the GPS underneath, where it rides up and out of the way and it can still see the satellites. I can easily grab the GPS when I get close to the cache or just want to confirm my bearings. The Vista is waterproof (or it WAS before the rubber bit fell off) so I don't worry about keeping it dry, although if the weather is truly crappy I'll tuck it inside my coat.

1. The garmin neoprene jacket I bought for for my Vista is nice to look at, but on wet days or when snow melts on it the additional layer of plastic over the screen almost always gets obscured by condensation, making it useless. So I use the Vista "naked".

Mine has gotten very scratched and it makes it harder to read. I'm considering just cutting it out when it gets too bad. I still like the clip so I can attach it to my pack's strap and hold it level.

I wear mine on my wrist!

Wow, although I've thought about these before, you just inspired a lightbulb moment for me. If one likes the idea of wrist GPSr, why not go ahead and make up a strap system to attach any one of the many other (and larger) GPSr units to our wrists or forarms? Kinda like a piolot strapping their charts to their legs.

I think I still prefer the backpack strap.

Mine has gotten very scratched and it makes it harder to read. I'm considering just cutting it out when it gets too bad. I still like the clip so I can attach it to my pack's strap and hold it level.

Glad I'm not the only one finding the plastic viewing window on the Vista carrying case somewhat useless. I rarely use the carrying case unless the Vista is in storage.

I have a chest harness that carries my GPSr, a radio, and some supplies. Or, as others have mentioned, I clip it on to my backpack shoulder strap. Might be over kill but I use the lanyard and a carabiner to clip on to a shoulder loop. I lost one GPSr and dont plan on losing a second!!!

Edited by XRN95

I broke the lanyard loop on my Legend pretty early on (my only complaint, though it's a bit unfair -- the lanyard got twisted around something). It worried me at first not to have it looped around my wrist, but I haven't dropped it yet. So! If following the signal isn't important, in my top left-hand shirt pocket (antenna facing outward). If I need the signal to be good but I'm not close to the cache (say I'm bushwhacking in the woods and want to make sure I can follow my track back out), tucked under a strap on my bag, antenna up. If I'm close to the cache, in my hand.

I have a bit of velcro on the back and I used to stick it to the center of the steering wheel. Then I became troubled with the idea of the airbag going off and shooting my Legend at my face or my sternum at somewhere approaching 200 miles per hour. If desired, I can describe to you precisely what that would look and sound like. I have thought about it lots.

I broke the lanyard loop on my Legend pretty early on (my only complaint, though it's a bit unfair -- the lanyard got twisted around something).

If you're referring to the plastic slot at the bottom of the unit that was broken, you can attach your laynard to the D ring on the battery cover. If you're referring to the laynard itself, you can probably find another one fairly easily. I used one from an old cell phone for my Gecko 201, because it didn't come with one. You can also get them off old cameras or find a new one in a camera shop.

Also consider the eTrex carrying case from Garmin. It protects your unit and screen and has a clip on the back, allowing you to clip it to your pack strap, or belt.

If you're referring to the plastic slot at the bottom of the unit that was broken, you can attach your laynard to the D ring on the battery cover. 

Yep, that's what I broke. I thought about attaching a lanyard to the battery dingus, but worried that the possibility of opening the cover and spilling the batteries was too high. I'll get the case eventually, I suppose, but there's a part of me that refuses to believe it wouldn't interfere with reception.

I am getting a Magellan Meridian Gold and would like to know how people carry their GPSr's, lanyard, beltclip, Hand, etc...?

Also anybody with the MeriGold is there a way to rig a Lanyard to one of these units?

Thanks

My wife's Meridian Gold came with a lanyard the screws into the hole in the back of the unit where the cables hook up. Our only complaint about that is, you have to keep removing and reattaching it when using the vehicle mount. Other than that, it works quite nice