Travel Bug

NavySparksandtheMrs

B) Hello,

I am thinking of putting out a Travel Bug that is one of the Lance Armstrong wristbands. However, would it be considered not correct if I explained what the wristband is all about which would include the web site http://www.laf.org?

Thinking this over I suspect I have already answered my own question but would appreciate your feedback.

Mentioning the web site and the LAF probably would be considered commerical.

However, if I just put the TB on the wristband without mention of the LAF organization it would probably be OK as I have found a LAF wristband in a cache (not as a TB) already.

Comments will be sincerely appreciated.

Herb (NavySparksandtheMrs) ;)

B) Hello,

I am thinking of putting out a Travel Bug that is one of the Lance Armstrong wristbands. However, would it be considered not correct if I explained what the wristband is all about which would include the web site http://www.laf.org?

Thinking this over I suspect I have already answered my own question but would appreciate your feedback.

Mentioning the web site and the LAF probably would be considered commerical.

However, if I just put the TB on the wristband without mention of the LAF organization it would probably be OK as I have found a LAF wristband in a cache (not as a TB) already.

Comments will be sincerely appreciated.

Herb (NavySparksandtheMrs) ;)

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm NOT admin.), it's YOUR travel bug. Do whatever you wish with it! I've come up with some crazy travel bugs, one of which is a coffee mug with my website address written on it.

Do what you wish with your TB's just as long as it doesn't negatively affect anybody else. :)

When I created The Gentlemen's Foray 2004 Cache, I included a number of travel bugs that included the URL for the group website. (See picture below.) We aren't selling anything but we like to see traffic on our site and perhaps inspire other groups of friends to have an annual event similar to ours.

a3fd6312-f453-4477-801e-fc64f0a08132.jpg

I don't think it really matters what your travel bug is about, commercial or not. I think what matters is that you're having fun.

B) Thank you all for your comments and I really appreciate your taking the time to let me know what you think. Although I have really gotten into geocaching big time I have only been doing it since this last June. Still feel a bit of a newbie and did not want to do anything that would go against any rules.

The LAF is a good cause so what the heck...I will go for it.

Thanks again to you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Herb

Hi ZackJones,

Good question regarding the goal! Been pondering that and guess it would be to travel as much as possible and to give hope and comfort to those who have cancer or to those who know someone with it. However, your point that it could end up missing is a very good one which I have considered too. To be honest I am a BIG fan of Lance Armstrong and just thought it would be a cool and a bit different TB.

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm NOT admin.), it's YOUR travel bug.  Do whatever you wish with it!

Would you hold the same view of a cache? That is, ‘It’s YOUR cache. Do whatever you wish with it!’

No, I agree that caches should remain non-commercial in nature. But as someone else said, if you don't like the travel bug, don't pick it up. :cool:

Hi ZackJones,

That is a seriously neat TB...wish I had come up with it. I was into cycling...touring and a little racing for about 18 years but had to give it up due to a problem with a disc in my neck. Still miss riding very much and it really bugs me when I see guys up in the Santa Cruz Mountains here in the SF Bay Area as I loved climbing and descending. Geocaching has been really neat for me as it has got me back out in the country which is where I enjoyed riding so much. Good luck with your TB and hope he travels far.

I agree - TB's have been commercialized (Jeep) and are different from caches, which aren't supposed to be. There's also less scrutiny of TB's (not the same approval process as a cache), so it's more of a free for all.

The greatest risk is that it will turn up missing - as long as you're comfortable with that risk, go for it!

I agree - TB's have been commercialized (Jeep) and are different from caches, which aren't supposed to be. There's also less scrutiny of TB's (not the same approval process as a cache), so it's more of a free for all.

The greatest risk is that it will turn up missing - as long as you're comfortable with that risk, go for it!

There are haters out there...

I contacted a cacher who said caching could not be commercialized, and threw away a Yellow Jeep Travel Bug just to prove his point.

Ed