Translation Needed

Dennisfauchez

Hey,

Got myself into a bit of a problem... ;) I have a travel bug from Canada that made it's way to germany... That's not the problem, I love it beeing in Europe but I would really like for it to move towards England/Ireland (To the East of where it is now [Hamburg, Gerrmany]) I would really appreciate it if someone out there who's bilingual in German/English could help me write a note that says something like ;

" Thank you all for moving my TB along. I would like for it to make it's way West of where it is now, sortof an alternate goal. If you could please send it on it's way towards Ireland (In the general direction) I would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks,

-Dennisfauchez"

If someone could translate that for me that would be great B)

Thanks

-D-

I love Bablefish (and Google). When I need to get cheap kicks I translate stuff to another language, then back to English. The results are often hilarious. Here is that paragraph translated from English to German and back:

Thanks of all for my TB along shift. I would like, so that it forms it's way west of, which is it now, sortof a changing goal. If you could please, send it on it's way toward to Ireland (in the general direction), which became I largely apreciate it. Thanks, - Dennisfauchez

Edited by briansnat
" Thank you all for moving my TB along. I would like for it to make it's way West of where it is now, sortof an alternate goal. If you could please send it on it's way towards Ireland (In the general direction) I would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks,

-Dennisfauchez"

Danke fur moofen meinen bugen alongen. Ich leibchen moofen westen oder goalen. Senden Irlanden, ja das is gut.

Danken,

Dennisfauchezheizen B)

German:

Danke aller für mein TB mitnehmen. Konnte das folgende geocacher ihm

Westen, in Richtung zu Irland bringen?

Dank für Ihre Hilfe.

Dennisfauchez

French:

Merci tout de prendre mon TB le long. A pu le prochain geocacher lui apporter l'ouest, vers l'Irlande.

Merci pour votre aide.

Dennisfauchez

Dutch:

Bedankt voor het meenemen van mijn Travelbug. Zou de volgende geocacher deze kunnen meenemen in de richting van Ierland? Ik zou het leuk vinden als deze travelbug daar terecht zou komen.

Bedankt voor Uw medewerking.

Dennisfauchez

Edited by GeoGerard

"Danke, das Du meinen Travelbug mitnimmst, ich würde mich freuen wenn Du ihn nach Irland bringst (oder zumindest ungefähr in diese Richtung) - Vielen Dank, Dennisfauchez"

i hope this text may help you to send your TB to ireland :)

btw: the translation from this machine u made is awful ;) i am from germany and its very hard to read for me ... B)

Edited by KGBHUI

Thanks KGBHUI, I noticed that GeoGerard tried and I would have no idea if the German translation was right or not, but he might have been showing off trying it in french too. I am french (Franco-Ontarien) and I sincerly hope he isn't :lol:

Thanks for the effort tho, and thanks again KGBHUI I'll post that on my bug and hope for the best :o

-D-

Thanks KGBHUI,    I noticed that GeoGerard tried and I would have no idea if the German translation was right or not, but he might have been showing off trying it in french too. I am french (Franco-Ontarien) and I sincerly hope he isn't :o

Thanks for the effort tho, and thanks again KGBHUI    I'll post that on my bug and hope for the best :D

-D-

I can confirm that GeoGerard was showing off in German too, but at least his Dutch version is correct, and can be used.

KGBHUI's German version is not bad, albeit a bit unidiomatic. I'd change it as follows: "Vielen Dank für das Mitnehmen meines Travelbugs. Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Du ihn nach Irland bringen könntest, oder zumindest ein Stück weit in jene Richtung. Vielen Dank, Dennisfauchez"

For my own credentials, check here to see what I do for a living.

Shunra

:lol:

Edited by bugel-shunra

teamguzbach.org, I disagree as I know several germans who do not understand English and do geocaching...

However, to get a german translation in the future, I would propose to ask politely in the german subforum for a translation as there seem to be more people understanding english and speaking german fluently there than overhere if I read this thread until the posting of KGBHUI... ;-)

Greetings from Germany,

Tobias

:o

Vielen Dank für das Mitnehmen meines Travelbugs. Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Du ihn nach Irland bringen könntest, oder zumindest ein Stück weit in jene Richtung. Vielen Dank, Dennisfauchez"
;)

:) Ok I did not know a travel bug was considered a Das? I thought is would be a masculine Der. :) It sounds kind of funny meines Travelbugs? Are we moving more than one bug? The correct translation probably would be meiner or Meinen Travelbug. Of course you'd have to ask the German fans for the correct Die, Der or Das since TravelBug is a realtively new word and they tend to make up the rules.

;) BTW - the translation for this is "Thank you very much for taking my travel bug along with you. It would make me very happy if you could bring him to Ireland or at least a small ways in the general direction. Many thanks DennisFauchez".

:) I don't think zumindest is the correct word for this translation. If I am not mistaken, this should be zumindesten. Pronounced ZOOM-MEN-DIST-TEN.

Edited by Hogarth
Mitnehmen
More corrections.. Mitnehmen is not a noun and would not be capitalized and the official word on the Die, Der or Das is a Der. We are talking about a Bug which is a Der so "meines Travelbugs" is incorrect. It would be meinen Travelbug.

I tried out the bablefish translation.. It's pretty close but it does not correct for case and it doesn't quite get the correct translation as you can see?

Thank you for carrying my Travelbugs forward. I would be pleased, if you could bring him to Ireland, or at least a piece far in that direction. Thank you, Dennisfauchez"
Edited by Hogarth
I don't think zumindest is the correct word for this translation. If I am not mistaken, this should be zumindesten. Pronounced ZOOM-MEN-DIST-TEN.

No comments on zumindest versus zumindesten, although I don't know why the latter would be better than the former. But IMO it should be pronounced rather like ZOOM-MIN-DEST-TEN.

Mitnehmen is not a noun and would not be capitalized

AFAIK, das Mitnehmen is a noun ('with-taking', i.e. grabbing, taking) and written with capital M. Mitnehmen (without an article, not capitalized unless the first word in the sentence) is also a verb: to take [something] with, grab etc.

Edited by Divine
"Vielen Dank für das Mitnehmen meines Travelbugs. Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Du ihn nach Irland bringen könntest, oder zumindest ein Stück weit in jene Richtung. Vielen Dank, Dennisfauchez"

Me does not speak Englisch. All what me could understand in this tread what you can see on top. Realy written very well....

Perfect, please use it! :o

:o Ok I did not know a travel bug was considered a Das? I thought is would be a masculine Der. ;) It sounds kind of funny meines Travelbugs? Are we moving more than one bug? The correct translation probably would be meiner or Meinen Travelbug. Of course you'd have to ask the German fans for the correct Die, Der or Das since TravelBug is a realtively new word and they tend to make up the rules.

"...meines Travelbugs" would be correct. The author is correctly using the genitive case for a masculine noun in order to express possession.

I'm really not sure who is kidding and who not ...

:o
Vielen Dank für das Mitnehmen meines Travelbugs. Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Du ihn nach Irland bringen könntest, oder zumindest ein Stück weit in jene Richtung. Vielen Dank, Dennisfauchez"
:)

:) Ok I did not know a travel bug was considered a Das? I thought is would be a masculine Der. ;) It sounds kind of funny meines Travelbugs?

IMO you can use what you would like as "Travelbug" is formaly no german word. However, I never heard "die TB" but both "der TB" and "das TB". In the german subforum this question is addressed in this thread but I disagree with the reference to the Duden as the meanings in the Duden don't refer to the Travelbug but to Computer-bugs and a river somewhere in the east of europe. I already heard and used both "der" and "das" to adress a TB and if you use "das" then "meines Travelbugs" is totaly correct as the "Genitiv".

Are we moving more than one bug?

"Meines Travlebugs" is one TB. That's the so called "Genitiv", second casus.

;)  I don't think zumindest is the correct word for this translation. If I am not mistaken, this should be zumindesten. Pronounced ZOOM-MEN-DIST-TEN.

"zumindesten" is, AFAIK, no german word in contrast to "zumindest". However, I have to agree with Laogai but would replace "jene" with "diese" - but that's a question of taste. And the answer of KGBHUI is still fine IMO.

Greetings,

Tobias

"Vielen Dank für das Mitnehmen meines Travelbugs. Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Du ihn nach Irland bringen könntest, oder zumindest ein Stück weit in jene Richtung. Vielen Dank, Dennisfauchez"

As already stated: That's perfect German - dunno if I'm right but it seems to me like Hogarth isn't a native-speaker.

Anyway ... @tobsas: I said "almost". Yes there're some German geocachers who don't understand any English at all but it's hard to find them.

:lol: Actually I would tend to think of this as plural possessive. Interresting thread here. Your assumption that I'm not Deutsch is correct, however, my wife, in-laws, and Children (1/2 Deutsch) are. Please do not be mislead. I lived in Germany over 3 1/2 years during which the only English I ever heard was on a British comedy that played on New Years Eve. Plus I have had 2 years of high school German, and 1 year of college German. The bad part was that when I took the college classes, the instructor graded me on a different scale because I could fluently read, write, and speak the language. She was very critical of the grammer that I used, which made me pay more attention to the different rules.

:smile: So in short, I am fluent in German, but there are still words that elude me. However that does not hinder me when speaking to my in-laws or while I am visiting Germany. I simply speak around the word that I mean, and my in-laws or my wife politely tells me the correct word.

:lol: One thing people forget is there is High(proper German) and Low German. Plus each region has their own dialect. When I was in Bremmerhaven with my Grandfather, I had a very difficult time conversing with the locals until I understood the dialect. Once I fiquered out the northern tongue, it was easy to understand what they were saying.

:D In short I'll say, it is easy to speak a language in a classroom, but if you want to know what is truely spoken, then go live in that country. In my experience, High School German was just a warm up for the real thing. Once I was on the economy, where usually the only thing I heard was German, I.e. TV, Radio, Newspapers, etc. I honestly was baptized in the languge. If you really want to know how the Germans translate things ask them in the German Forum. I'm sure you'll get a variety of translations depending on where that person is from and the slang they use.

:lol: FYI - If you really want a good laugh, watch John Wayne in Deutsch. Ahh I miss the Meinzer Menschen..

Hey Hogarth,

Whether High or Low German, your comments were between wrong and outright hilarious on all counts, but don't sweat about it, your German is probably good enough for chatting with locals and for understanding what's going on around you - still much better than that of the average American. At least you're trying :lol:

Edited to add: next time before commenting about things you don't understand, perhaps you should doublecheck with Deiner gescheiteren Hälfte - that's feminine singular dativ for you :D

Edited by bugel-shunra
I'm really not sure who is kidding and who not ...

Hi Tobias,

I was obviously serious, but I believe he was too. hihi

:D
:smile:

:lol: Ok I did not know a travel bug was considered a Das? I thought is would be a masculine Der. :lol: It sounds kind of funny meines Travelbugs?

IMO you can use what you would like as "Travelbug" is formaly no german word. However, I never heard "die TB" but both "der TB" and "das TB". In the german subforum this question is addressed in this thread but I disagree with the reference to the Duden as the meanings in the Duden don't refer to the Travelbug but to Computer-bugs and a river somewhere in the east of europe. I already heard and used both "der" and "das" to adress a TB and if you use "das" then "meines Travelbugs" is totaly correct as the "Genitiv".

Like Hogarth, I was actually thinking of Travelbug as a masculine noun, but regardless whether it's der or das Travelbug, it would end up as "meines Travelbugs" in the genitive.

Are we moving more than one bug?

:lol:  I don't think zumindest is the correct word for this translation. If I am not mistaken, this should be zumindesten. Pronounced ZOOM-MEN-DIST-TEN.

"zumindesten" is, AFAIK, no german word in contrast to "zumindest".

Of course not :lol:

However, I have to agree with Laogai but would replace "jene" with "diese" - but that's a question of taste.

Did Laogai say that? FWIW, I first wrote 'diese', and only thought of changing it to 'jene' when I reread it. 'Jene' clearly refers to Ireland, whereas 'diese', while not outright wrong, sort-of implies that a specific direction, as opposed to a specific destination, had been previously mentioned. But that's indeed a very fine distinction which I cannot substantiate on the basis of grammar books, merely on intuition based on many years of immersion.

Edited by bugel-shunra

Travel bugs do fine in English. My oldest one, Pink Lady, has been traveling for over 2 1/2 years. She made the jump to Germany in Nov. '03 and had no problem reaching her goal (of course, there are a few German log entries that could be bad-mouthing her, I don't understand much more than der or das). After that she's traveled to Namibia, then South Africa and recently back to the Netherlands. All in English.

Whether High or Low German, your comments were between wrong and outright hilarious on all counts, but don't sweat about it, your German is probably good enough for chatting with locals and for understanding what's going on around you - still much better than that of the average American. At least you're trying

<_<<_<:angry: Sweat it... :lol::(:P Looked up zumindest in the old German Dictionary and I was wrong. There is no such word as zumindestin...oops..Nobody is perfect..

:P Honeslty I know the proper use of die, der or das, and I actually was not trying to be too serious except with the excpetion of Mitnehmens should not be capitalized, and Das Travelbugs is actually der Tavelbug. At least that's how I have seen it used. Look it up. You are correct.. Yes there is no word Travelbug, and it could go die, der or das, but Mitnehmen is a used word, it's not a nound, and it is lowercase.

<_< But Honestly who cares.. It's been fun to watching the responses to my posts. :P:P:o

Honeslty I know the proper use of die, der or das,  and I actually was not trying to be too serious except with the excpetion of Mitnehmens should not be capitalized

Wrong <_<

At least two other people more knowledgeable than you have already explained to you why, so there's no need for me to repeat.

and Das Travelbugs is actually der Tavelbug. At least that's how I have seen it used.  Look it up.

Precisely because it's 'der' (rather than 'das') Travelbug in my opinion too, 'meines Travelbugs' (masculine singular genitive) in my translation was correct.

but Mitnehmen is a used word, it's not a nound, and it is lowercase.

The amazing thing is that in spite of your limited understanding of German, you are so cocksure that you'd probably even 'correct' the doubtlessly fluent German of your German-native wife. <_<

You're a hoot!

Edited by bugel-shunra

<_<

I didn't realize that my German and French are so bad. I won't try it again. Sorry.

Ich habe nicht gewust, daß mein Deutsch und Franzosisch so falsch

sind. Ich versuche es nicht noch einmal. Excusez moi.

Je ne me suis pas rendu compte que mes Allemands et Français sont si

mauvais. Je ne l'essayerai pas encore. Excusez moi.

Non mi sono reso conto che il miei Tedeschi e Francesi sono così

difettosi. Non lo proverò ancora. Spiacente.

Ik realiseerde niet dat mijn Duits en Frans zo slecht zijn. Ik zal het

niet opnieuw proberen.

Eu não realizei que meus Alemães e Franceses são assim maus. Eu

não o tentarei outra vez.

No realicé que mis Alemanes y Franceses son tan malos. No lo

intentaré otra vez.

The amazing thing is that in spite of your limited understanding of German, you are so cocksure that you'd probably even 'correct' the doubtlessly fluent German of your German-native wife.

:):):);):P:P:):)

DO YOU THINK I'M A COMPLETE IDIOT?

:) There a few things that I never do.

1. Correct my wife on her perfect German.

2. Talk to her in the morning unless she has had her morning cup of STOUT coffee.

3. Never do anything that I do not want to be reminded of down the road, because no matter how long ago it was she loves to remind me of it. Think about it..Women, regardless of nationality tend to remember your screw-ups and just when you think they have forgotten about it, bam.. :):D they hit you with it. I think women take pleasure in this :D

;) Mitnehmens is a noun? Curious? Which dictionary did you use for that one because the English German Dictionary I have at home shows it as lowercase? This is not my personal opinion. This is black and white text.

:D Here was another odity. Babblefish also shows it as lowercase? What I thought was interresting was if you typed in Das Mitnehmens it came up with the translation Carry Forward. When I tried the reverse translation using the words cary forward, bablefish came up with different words. When I typed in the words "take along", the word mitnehmen appeared and it was lowercase. I even tried some searches on a few online German dictionaries and "das Mitnehmens" could not be found. "des Mitnehmens" is a noun.

:D Here is the million dollar question. Which one is it? das Mitnehmens or is it des Mitnehmens? :(;)

Edited by Hogarth
:) Mitnehmens is a noun? Curious? Which dictionary did you use for that one because the English German Dictionary I have at home shows it as lowercase?  This is not my personal opinion. This is black and white text.

Nobody's trying to deny that mitnehmen is a verb. It is, and when used as a verb, it is written in lower case. But, as pointed numerous times, it is also a noun. And as all nouns in German language, it is written with upper case. What dictionary am I using? Deutsches Universal Wörterbuch A-Z by Duden. Some consider it as an ultimate authority of German dictionaries. ;)

What you apparently fail to realize is that many German verbs can be used as nouns too. The capitalization and the context tell the difference. For example:

schwimmen - to swim (verb)

das Schwimmen - swimming (noun)

trinken - to drink (verb)

das Trinken - drinking (noun)

Here was another odity. Babblefish also shows it as lowercase?

I wouldn't trust Babelfish nor Babblefish nor any other online dictionary to give any serious answers when pondering grammatical problems of any language. :( Quick online help, sure, but that's about all.

Just believe it!

The amazing thing is that in spite of your limited understanding of German, you are so cocksure that you'd probably even 'correct' the doubtlessly fluent German of your German-native wife.

;):(;):):):);):P

DO YOU THINK I'M A COMPLETE IDIOT?

:) There a few things that I never do.

1. Correct my wife on her perfect German.

2. Talk to her in the morning unless she has had her morning cup of STOUT coffee.

To be brief: Yes.

Now, will ya please, after she'll be done with her stout coffee, ask her to confirm your notion about German grammar, and then report back to us?

(And until then, just shut up about things you don't understand?)

I think Divine went out of his way to explain it to you on a 1st grade level.

In case you missed them, he added three links at the bottom of his post, which you may want to reflect on. Silently.

One of my favorite hobbies is fishing.. You never know what your going to reel in until you use the right bait.. 

Yes. People making an a** of themselves are likely to get me. :)

Well, anyway, I'm glad to hear that the notions you've been broadcasting were meant for baiting purposes only, and that you're not really as stupid as you allowed yourself to come across.

Edited by bugel-shunra

Daring to add another translation:

Danke, dass Ihr meinen TB mit euch nehmt und weiter auf seine Reise schickt. Ich würde mir sehr wünschen, dass er von hier aus in Richtung Westen geht (Wunschziel ist Irland). Könntet Ihr also bitte den TB in dieser Richtung auf den Weg bringen? Ich würde das sehr zu schätzen wissen.

Herzlichen Dank für Eure Hilfe

Dennisfauchez

Like Hogarth, I was actually thinking of Travelbug as a masculine noun, but regardless whether it's der or das Travelbug, it would end up as "meines Travelbugs" in the genitive.

You're right, I've rewritten my posting at that point over and over and ended up slightly wrong ... ;-(

However, I think you shouldn't be as harsh as you have been to people making mistakes in foreign languages. I'm glad that nobody is pointing out all the mistakes I'm doiing even in my german postings... ;-)

Greetings & merry christmas,

Tobias

You're right, I've rewritten my posting at that point over and over and ended up slightly wrong ... ;-(

However, I think you shouldn't be as harsh as you have been to people making mistakes in foreign languages. I'm glad that nobody is pointing out all the mistakes I'm doiing even in my german postings... ;-)

Greetings & merry christmas,

Tobias

Hi Tobsas,

I'm not being harsh at all - I greatly admire anyone who tries his luck with foreign languages, and particularly here in the US that is rather exceptional.

That said, I can't help having a laugh at an obviously clueless nitwit who thinks he knows it better, even when everyone tells him he's got it wrong.

Merry Christmas and a caching new year,

Daniel